Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Nintendo is finally going to court war with emulation. Thoughts?

Nintendo is suing the creators of the popular Switch emulator Yuzu, saying their tech illegally circumvents Nintendo's software encryption and facilitates piracy.
    Seeks damages for alleged violations and a shutdown of the emulator.

It has emerged that Nintendo of America is taking Tropic Haze LLC to court – the company that owns, develops and operates Yuzu, which it claims allows users to “unlawfully” play pirated Nintendo Switch games.

In its preliminary statement, partly shared by Game File reporter Stephen Totilo, Nintendo has stated that Tropic Haze is “fully aware of the use of Yuzu by others in performing circumvention, and in facilitating piracy at a colossal scale.

“As to circumvention, Yuzu’s website acknowledges that the Nintendo Switch’s decryption keys (the prod.keys) are required to decrypt games and includes links to software that unlawfully extract those keys from the Nintendo Switch.”

In looking to demonstrate the severe piracy risk that Yuzu presents, Nintendo explains that The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom “was unlawfully distributed a week and a half before its release by Nintendo.

“Infringing copies of the game that circulated online were to be played in Yuzu, and those copies were successfully downloaded from pirate websites over one million times before the game was published and made available for lawful purchase by Nintendo. Many of the pirate websites specifically noted the ability to play the game file in Yuzu.”

Its clear argument is that emulators such as Yuzu are helping piracy become more prevalent, making it increasingly harmful to the games industry, impacting its profitability and sustainability.

----------------------
    Honestly, emulation is one of the most evil things in gaming and this has been a long time coming even if it's just for the Switch one. There is no way a PC should be able to play most games in history the way it does, as along with its native library, gives it an unbeatable edge against console gaming and preservation.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

My thoughts are I wish someone else would have made this thread who didn't enjoy immediately poisoning the well. Case in point:
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Honestly, emulation is one of the most evil things in gaming
    This disgusting hyperbolic nonsense. Also really sad I already knew who made the thread.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    My thoughts are I wish someone else would have made this thread who didn't enjoy immediately poisoning the well. Case in point:This disgusting hyperbolic nonsense.
    "Products should not have an advantage and we must perserve the older way of living! brb gotta pop down to blockbuster to get me some good old cassette tapes and DVD's."

Piracy is bad. Keep archaic business ideas because evil! is silly.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong with emulation - if it's done to games that are really tough if not impossible to get legit anymore.

Otherwise, it's piracy, which is generally kinda bad. Generally.

Exceedingly silly to call it "one of the most evil things in gaming".
    Last edited by Santti; 2024-02-27 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Honestly, emulation is one of the most evil things in gaming
    Holy shit what an insane hyperbolic statement lol

I have no opinion on current gen emulation but if Nintendo wasn't so absolute dogshit with releasing old games in a more accessible way and not just the same ~50-100 that they think people only want, we'd all be paying for games we bought 20+ years ago so we could play it in an official way again.

In a vast majority of cases, emulation is done because there's not an easy official way (or one that doesn't cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars) to play old stuff.

But as was said, your thread is instantly well poisoning so there's no good discussion that's going to come from this.

Honestly, emulation is one of the most evil things in gaming and this has been a long time coming even if it's just for the Switch one. There is no way a PC should be able to play most games in history the way it does, as along with its native library, gives it an unbeatable edge against console gaming and preservation.
    That's... an opinion to have. Being worried about the PC getting an Edge over console is not something I thought I would ever read, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    That's... an opinion to have. Being worried about the PC getting an Edge over console is not something I thought I would ever read, but okay.
    Emulation gives PC a monstrous edge over consoles despite the seediness of it. A strong PC can literally play everything but the few remaining exclusives on PS4. When you consider that and its native library, it will give people the idea they only need a PC for most gaming needs, which is unfortunately true.

Like the Nintendo Switch is a modern console sold on shelves and supported now. There's no reason you should just be able to play everything on a PC without buying a Switch.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

A strong PC can literally play everything but the few remaining exclusives on PS4.
    Good. Exclusives are fucking stupid and killing off otherwise good games by not selling a zillion copies just because some dumbfuck executive decided it should only be on ps5 or xbox. If people can play stuff on a PC then maybe sony and microsoft and nintendo should make their 600 dollar game boxes better.

- - - Updated - - -

There's no reason you should just be able to play everything on a PC without buying a Switch.
    You damn well know that the vast, vast majority of stuff emulated are not new release switch games.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man shut up. It's not evil, especially if I've already bought the damned game and the Switch but don't like gaming on the Switch because it's honestly kind of a POS with very limited support, especially for people with big hands. Piss off with your holier than thou attitude. Emulators aren't evil and they don't ruin gaming. Until Nintendo and other console companies make every game in the history of their libraries available consistently to anyone who has bought them over the years, emulators should be protected.

Evil. Hah, my ass. You're funny. Or stupid. Or both? Evil is companies letting very illegal and morally wrong shit go on in their offices and turning a blind eye. Evil is shipping off jobs overseas to save on costs and not giving the job-loser a severance or other compensation or a fair warning ahead of time. There's so many things worse than fucking EMULATORS in gaming. Get out of here lol
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
    - - - Updated - - -
    You damn well know that the vast, vast majority of stuff emulated are not new release switch games.
    the basis for this was zelda being leaked pre-release though. and switch games get leaked all the time now like with super mario rpg and wonder to name a few.

Emulation is fine for old games that are typically no longer attainable imo.

the basis for this was zelda being leaked pre-release though. and switch games get leaked all the time now like with super mario rpg and wonder to name a few.
    Cool, your OP talked about emulation as a whole and calling it evil in an insane hyperbolic statement, which is what people are talking about.

Also I dont even care if those games get leaked early. Stop licking the boot of a billion dollar company.
    Last edited by Arlette; 2024-02-28 at 12:23 AM.

so what?
    the people who pirate those games were never going to pay for them regardless, so it makes no difference to the company.

the corporate lie about piracy is that every copy of a game or episode of a show or movie that is downloaded = one unit of sale that was "lost", but this is utter nonsense.
    if you took away piracy, you'd just have people who were never going to pay for the thing just not playing/watching it, piracy does not effect sales and it does not negatively impact the economic value of the creation of art.

you could argue that it's "better" for those people to never get to experience the game/show/movie because you like the morality of corporate sanctity more than you like the morality of the quality of the human condition, but if your argument is genuinely that people shouldn't get to experience joy just for the sake of denying them that joy to appease an ethereal sense of gate-keeping for the sake of a corporation, well... get fucked nerd.
    Last edited by Malkiah; 2024-02-28 at 12:01 AM.

Games getting leaked early isn't a problem with emulation. Even if there were no Switch emulators out there, people would still find ways to leak new releases ahead of schedule for modded consoles or just for the fun and notoriety of it. The world of piracy doesn't revolve around emulators. Back in the xbox 360 and PS3 era, games for both systems leaked and were pirated long before there were stable emulators for either system. You're continuing to conflate emulation with piracy when they aren't the same thing.

Nintendo finally starting to sweat because a budget computer can play their games at full speed?

Emulation gives PC a monstrous edge over consoles despite the seediness of it. A strong PC can literally play everything but the few remaining exclusives on PS4. When you consider that and its native library, it will give people the idea they only need a PC for most gaming needs, which is unfortunately true.

Like the Nintendo Switch is a modern console sold on shelves and supported now. There's no reason you should just be able to play everything on a PC without buying a Switch.
    I mean, yes, naturally. The PC can be far more powerful and is modular. Consoles are weaker, but more optimized PCs. It's pretty much the same principle, so natural that the PC could play everything, but you don't want to play everything on a PC, since it's not optimzed for most games. I don't know why you're suprised.

Also especially Switch games are played because of the design of the console, not because of the power. A switch is something you can take everywhere. A PC is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    My thoughts are fuck nintendo, emulation is based. Piracy is based. These are the two things stopping some games from just outright disappearing forever.

Also Yuzu is open source. At worst this’ll just slow down development as another team forks it. All it takes is some Russians taking over the project and Nintendo is shit out of luck.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2024-02-28 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    so what?
    the people who pirate those games were never going to pay for them regardless, so it makes no difference to the company.

the corporate lie about piracy is that every copy of a game or episode of a show or movie that is downloaded = one unit of sale that was "lost", but this is utter nonsense.
    if you took away piracy, you'd just have people who were never going to pay for the thing just not playing/watching it, piracy does not effect sales and it does not negatively impact the economic value of the creation of art.

you could argue that it's "better" for those people to never get to experience the game/show/movie because you like the morality of corporate sanctity more than you like the morality of the quality of the human condition, but if your argument is genuinely that people shouldn't get to experience joy just for the sake of denying them that joy to appease an ethereal sense of gate-keeping for the sake of a corporation, well... get fucked nerd.
    That is some bizzare take on stealing.
    If i create digital art and put a money price on it then it is my decision. You dont need to have it. It is not basic human commodity. If you use that, without paying me, then this is stealing from me. Simple as that. You can go about as much logical fallancies as you want.

only way to play certain games is to emulate, there is games you cant even buy if you wanted

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    only way to play certain games is to emulate, there is games you cant even buy if you wanted
    They aren't going after old console emulators, nor have they ever(they have taken down rom sites before but never directly tried to litigate an emulator). Yuzu clearly fucked up here.

This thread is already shit cause it was started by you know who claiming "emulation is evil". If Nintendo was going after dolphin I would agree it's messed up but yuzu provides the keys to decrypt switch games regardless of how they where acquired and it's a current console on the market not yet something that needs to be preserved. They fucked up, people defending them are on the wrong side of this one.