[Megathread] Nintendo Switch

UPDATED THE OP. LEAVING IN THE OPOP FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES.

-----

I figured it would be good to have a general thread for Nintendo's upcoming console.

Here's what we know:

• Nintendo's console and portable gaming divisions have been integrated as early as late 2013 (announced during the March 2014 investor call)
    • Nintendo has made a partnership with Japanese mobile developer DeNA to help create an integrated system across moble, PC, and Nintendo's own platforms.
    • Satoru Iwata has talked about both the iOS and Android operating systems as what Nintendo is looking to help ease gaming shortages as what happened with both the Wii U and 3DS.
    • Iwata has said there may be more and there may be less "form factors" (aka systems) depending on what Nintendo thinks consumers want.
    • Nintendo is making mobile games with its IPs, but only for marketing; core games will still be on the "NX" itself.

And here is something new:

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/f...tendo-console/

A former Software engineer for Microsoft who helped work on the Windows phone has been working at Nintendo as a Principle Software Engineer since 2014, more than likely on the NX.
    Last edited by johnhoftb; 2016-10-20 at 04:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm excited for it but that's because Nintendo has been my favorite game company since the mid-80s. I've gotten every console of theirs at launch since the Virtual Boy.

I do hope they ditch the dual screen design finally though and try something new this time for the portable. 10+ years is too long to stick with a design IMO, even if it kills backwards compatibility.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want my 3DS games upscaled for TV, is that so much to ask? My eyes suck and my neck starts hurting after just 30 minutes playing on mobile devices.

I would just like a console. No gimicks, no motion shit, no touch screen trash. A console with a regular controller and games. Call it the game cube 2. In honor of the last true gaming oriented system nintendo pushed out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Nintendo has made a partnership with Japanese mobile developer DeNA to help create an integrated system across moble, PC, and Nintendo's own platforms.
    This is the first time I heard of the "Nintendo "NX"" or whichever it'll be called, but this one line stuck out to me. Are they wanting to make it so the Nintendo games play on the console, portable, mobile platforms and PC? So you can share/party up with people on those devices?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I would just like a console. No gimicks, no motion shit, no touch screen trash. A console with a regular controller and games. Call it the game cube 2. In honor of the last true gaming oriented system nintendo pushed out.
    Yet the gamecube did...well...not the greatest.

Granted, it did do better than the Wii U, but only so far. It's at like, 20 million worldwide sales, while the Wii U is at 10 million, it can still surpass it possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I do hope they ditch the dual screen design finally though and try something new this time for the portable. 10+ years is too long to stick with a design IMO, even if it kills backwards compatibility.
    You realize Nintendo went with a single-screen design for... wait for it... 15 years before the DS, right?

On topic, I'm more excited about the fact that Nintendo is looking at the PC market than anything else. Mother fucking Mario on PC?! HELL YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yet the gamecube did...well...not the greatest.

Granted, it did do better than the Wii U, but only so far. It's at like, 20 million worldwide sales, while the Wii U is at 10 million, it can still surpass it possibly.
    and yet i cant find more than 2 maby 3 games to own on the wii u yet i had a whole library for the game cube.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    You realize Nintendo went with a single-screen design for... wait for it... 15 years before the DS, right?

On topic, I'm more excited about the fact that Nintendo is looking at the PC market than anything else. Mother fucking Mario on PC?! HELL YES!
    nintendo would sooner close shop than do that.

and yet i cant find more than 2 maby 3 games to own on the wii u yet i had a whole library for the game cube.
    Eh, still yet again, you have a huge backlog of Gamecube because it's already seen its entire life cycle. I think it would be easier to compare once the Wii U is done with.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    I just want my 3DS games upscaled for TV, is that so much to ask? My eyes suck and my neck starts hurting after just 30 minutes playing on mobile devices.
    Technology does not work like that
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    — Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    Playstation TV says hello. Granted, it would be harder with 3DS games because of the touch screen, but still doable probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    It does. People already modify their 3DS/Vita to have an HDMI out, mostly as a capture device. Granted Vita no longer needs it with Vita TV unless the touch capability is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    This is the first time I heard of the "Nintendo "NX"" or whichever it'll be called, but this one line stuck out to me. Are they wanting to make it so the Nintendo games play on the console, portable, mobile platforms and PC? So you can share/party up with people on those devices?
    Probably.

One idea I had was that the player can connect to the NX either wireless or over the internet and allow the players to stream their games from the system onto their phone or tablet as a screen, similar to how the Wii U's gamepad does it, but without the pesky distance from the system limitation.

Or use it as a separate controller in the absence of whatever new controller the NX uses or if the Wiimote is compatible with the new system.

PC is more than likely going to be for managing purposes (friends lists, controller options, other stuff) and allowing people to purchase games over the eShop when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It does. People already modify their 3DS/Vita to have an HDMI out, mostly as a capture device. Granted Vita no longer needs it with Vita TV unless the touch capability is needed.
    Let's be honest though. The 240p 3ds image on a larger screen is ugly as sin. At least with the Vita Tv you have a 576p image upscaled to 720p.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Added something to the OP to clarify, there will be mobile games with Nintendo IPs, but core games will still be on the console itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm. We will probably see a prototype next year and a release the following for the system. Maybe the year after that. So that gives the Wii U probably around 2-3 years left until this new beast is out. Does that make the Wii U the console with the shortest life span?

Edit: After looking into the life span of Nintendo systems and their release dates, 2-3 years from now would be pretty normal for them actually. That would be 5-6 years that the Wii U has been out.
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2015-04-21 at 05:25 AM.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Let's be honest though. The 240p 3ds image on a larger screen is ugly as sin. At least with the Vita Tv you have a 576p image upscaled to 720p.
    Never said it was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Never said it was perfect.
    Honestly playing a 3ds on a 1080p TV will probably hurt your eyes more then using 3D on a old model 3DS. It's that bad.

There is a reason when people stream 3DS they still look at their 3DS screens. It's not even an option, you use it to capture the 3DS for streaming or video purposes. No one uses that shit to play on. So realistically it's not even an option for what he was asking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just give me a much higher resolution, no motion gimmicks, and I'll he happier.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Except Gamecube did have a gimmick, which was the small discs. It was a powerful console in comparison to the other consoles of it's generation, but it was held back cos of the disc size.