Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    There is some decent internal rhyme and logic in XBox names.

The XBox ___ X is the powerful one, and the XBox ___ S is the cheaper less powerful alternative. It is the Series -part of the current name that doesn't really stand out well.
    Except what qualifies "X" as more powerful while "S" is weaker? The only indication to the average person is with price. Not to mention, they literally just had an Xbox One X and Xbox One S.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    NES and SNES.

GB and GBA.

DS, 3DS, and 2DS.
    I'm not sure why you were so quick to jump on that with handheld titles when I clearly said consoles, not handhelds. I phrased it very intentionally, and I would think it's clear I'm not stupid enough to forget Nintendo consoles.

And "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" is a clear difference from "Nintendo Entertainment System", the actual names. A single letter is a bit vague, and it's not nearly on the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Except what qualifies "X" as more powerful while "S" is weaker? The only indication to the average person is with price. Not to mention, they literally just had an Xbox One X and Xbox One S.
    S means slim since they called the slim 360 that and the slim xbox one that long before the X existed. Literally nobody knows wtf the X stands for though lol. Also naming your systems in a way where they can be confused with last gen alternatives is dumb, Nintendo did this with Wii U and MS did it this gen. Nintendo probably doubles the sales of the Wii U just by naming it "Wii 2" without any other changes. 3DS probably does better if it's named DS2 as well. If you want to keep the same name just throw a fucking 2 on there. MS already in too deep with their names to do this though as random numbers mean jack shit after 360, One and the Original Xbox, what would of been so complicated about Xbox, Xbox 2, Xbox 3 and Xbox 4? Hell Sony is guilty of this shit too, never fucked it up with home consoles but why on earth was the Vita not PSP2, nobody knows wtf a vita was but people knew what a PSP was. Wouldn't make it a success but would of definitely improved sales on name value alone.

If the eventual next gen system of Nintendo keeps Switch premise they need to call that shit Switch 2 or Super Switch not some dumb shit like "Switch Z" or w/e bullshit some exec comes up with out thinking himself.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-03-20 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    S means slim since they called the slim 360 that and the slim xbox one that long before the X existed. Literally nobody knows wtf the X stands for though lol. Also naming your systems in a way where they can be confused with last gen alternatives is dumb, Nintendo did this with Wii U and MS did it this gen. Nintendo probably doubles the sales of the Wii U just by naming it "Wii 2" without any other changes. 3DS probably does better if it's named DS2 as well. If you want to keep the same name just throw a fucking 2 on there. MS already in too deep with their names to do this though as random numbers mean jack shit after 360, One and the Original Xbox, what would of been so complicated about Xbox, Xbox 2, Xbox 3 and Xbox 4? Hell Sony is guilty of this shit too, never fucked it up with home consoles but why on earth was the Vita not PSP2, nobody knows wtf a vita was but people knew what a PSP was. Wouldn't make it a success but would of definitely improved sales on name value alone.

If the eventual next gen system of Nintendo keeps Switch premise they need to call that shit Switch 2 or Super Switch not some dumb shit like "Switch Z" or w/e bullshit some exec comes up with out thinking himself.
    It's all so clear, it's "Xtra" obviously.

Or the X in the front isn't for "Xbox" but rather X box Series X. Like a gamertag, and the X's are filler.

Only one I'd probably disagree with is the 3DS, but it did have a really rough start until Nintendo got it together so probably fair enough. The Wii U was definitely a mistake to name it as such though, hence why I highly doubt they'll touch that route again.

Microsoft is just a madman at this point, feels like they're battling it out between dart boards and picking names from a hat. I wouldn't be surprised if its something as petty as "We don't wanna be like Sony".

15+ Year Old Account
    Its not practical sometimes but revealing the new system names are always an exciting part of a new gen to me. Playstation is boring by comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Its not practical sometimes but revealing the new system names are always an exciting part of a new gen to me. Playstation is boring by comparison
    There hasn't been a cool console name since the dreamcast anyways, so you should keep it as boring as possible for the uneducated masses.

what would of been so complicated about Xbox, Xbox 2, Xbox 3 and Xbox 4?
    Nothing, but they would have been behind Playstation.

15+ Year Old Account
    There hasn't been a cool console name since the dreamcast anyways, so you should keep it as boring as possible for the uneducated masses.
    I liked vita and gamecube

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Nothing, but they would have been behind Playstation.
    One was further behind 4 then 3 would of been, so that's definitely not the excuse lol.

One was further behind 4 then 3 would of been, so that's definitely not the excuse lol.
    But it is One. Not 1. XBox 3 would have been clearly numerically inferior to PlayStation 4. XBox One is not a number, it is a concept for One Machine for All and thus completely different thing!

Or atleast that's how corporate marketing thinks.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the x in Xbox series x was for for eXtreme

for someone who just bought a switch(it suppose to arrive monday) and pokemon sword and shield.

any game suggestions?
    Note: I do plan to get Zelda: breath of the wild, Mario kart, Mario party, and smash bros.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    for someone who just bought a switch(it suppose to arrive monday) and pokemon sword and shield.

any game suggestions?
    Note: I do plan to get Zelda: breath of the wild, Mario kart, Mario party, and smash bros.
    Bravely Default II, Xenoblade Chornicles 2(and its remake from 1), Super mario Odessy, Deamon X Machina (if you are into big robots - but you can also play that on pc now), Octopath traveler (its also on pc now), Dragon quest builders 2 (also on pc), Fire emblem 3 houses and more.

....also you will be disapointed into a pokemon game... dont waste money on its Dlc as it doesnt add anything from what i know...

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Bravely Default II, Xenoblade Chornicles 2(and its remake from 1), Super mario Odessy, Deamon X Machina (if you are into big robots - but you can also play that on pc now), Octopath traveler (its also on pc now), Dragon quest builders 2 (also on pc), Fire emblem 3 houses and more.

....also you will be disapointed into a pokemon game... dont waste money on its Dlc as it doesnt add anything from what i know...
    why would i be disappointed in pokemon?
    also thank you for your suggestions.

why would i be disappointed in pokemon?
    also thank you for your suggestions.
    Because the Pokemon Switch games are super bad. To make it short:

- bad graphics
    - bad animations
    - pokemom, npcs etc just pop up when you are likr 5m away from them. So if you stay in the wild area and look out for pokemon you just see a big empty place, filled with nothing, and a meetball of pokemon right infrint of you
    - weather are bad aswell. You stay in area A with heavy raind, you cross the invisible line and entering area 5, now the weather is heavy sunlight.
    - the plot is super bad in all aspects, even for a kids game. Plot is gaga, you arent the hero, the villain is gaga and doing shit cause they need a bad guy
    - models arent scaled, so you are the same hight as a wailord
    - game is super easy, as always
    - no exploration at all
    - the citys are big, but empty. The rooms of the houses are just copy and paste. Everyhouse looks the same, just other npcs that told a meaningless, different line
    - routes are small, no exploration and like you walking thru a tube, i mean you get the escape rope as a permanent itrm, but you never use it, cause there are no cages at all where you could lost, lol.
    - everytime you ride your bike you wearing a clownsuit
    - tiny postgame that is bad/boring
    - less lore to the world
    - npcs arr as always annoying and uninteresting
    - they cut many pokemom, so even with pokemon home u cant transfer many old mons to the game. So u wann play with your oldfriend pidgeot? Forget it, got cut.

Its like the worst pokemon game ever. Contenteise its like gen 1 so you play thru the story and thats it. No rematches, no postgame, no interesting features. But at least gen 1 had exploration and the game is 25 years old noe, lol.

Dynamax looks bad, is broken.
    Dynaraids are so easy you just pick a pokemin eith countertyoing and spam an attack... Much fun much wow.

Positive things about gen 8:

Good music
    Many quality of life features (almost everyone for competitive players)
    Lore itself is cool, but poorly telled and represented.
    DLC is good, but expensive.

The dlc is the best about the game, cause you got some explorations, puzzles and lore. But you pay 90$ for the game and dlc and its still worse then everything you got in gen 2-5 for 40$

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Thr dlc adds many stuff, but back in gen 2-5 you got content like this in the basegame.

So how is any of that different from your standard Pokemon game? Sounds like a common list in the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
    So how is any of that different from your standard Pokemon game? Sounds like a common list in the franchise.
    the only disappointments i see pokemon wise are the diamond and pearl remakes. also the removal of HMs

i never go into pokemon games expecting a masterpiece. i play it to have fun.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I liked vita and gamecube
    The Vita's potential was hampered by it's poor battery life and the crappy proprietary memory cards. It amazes me that even Nintendo by that point had seen the reason to use an industry standard memory card format like MicroSD for the DSi and 3DS. I had a Vita for a couple of years and its strongest games were JRPG's. I used to play this one game with a friend that was a co-op Diablo style dungeon crawler and it just pillaged the hell out of the battery life. Fun system, but I think Sony put more into it than was necessary in order to compete with Nintendo and they should have just stuck with making a portable gaming system rather than a portable home console.

The Gamecube is still my second favourite system behind the N64.

Gen 2-5 were on a way different level, when you look on Content, Puzzles, Postgame, Handholding and Quality of the Games overall. The downfall begun with the 3D era on Pokemon X & Y.

Hell, even Gen 5 had a harder difficulty, as new game +.

And as i said: You pay now 90$ for something for what u payed 40$ in gen 2-5 and still the games were much better. If you think gen 2-5 are on the same level as Gen 6-8 you never realy played gen 2-5.

Gen 6-8 are fine for Kids/Beginners/Hardcasuals, that buy the game, doing the mainquest and then never touch the game again. For Fans the Gen 6-8 are a mess and a bad product.

- - - Updated - - -

any game suggestions?
    Take a look on:

Zelda: Links awakening - its a super good remake of genios game. The best Part about it its not THAT big, so u can clear it easily in <10 Hours. A realy nice Game, if u not have that much time. Beside that i really like it for speedrunning.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2 - if you like good JRPGs

Pokemon lets Go Eevee & Pikachu are good Pokemon Casual Games. Many mechanics got cut, so the game is easy/casual, but its look good and dont do that much bla bla and handholding. If you are casual its much more cool then Sword/Shield.

Animal Crossing new Horizons is pretty need, is fun to play for relaxing + its get patched every 1-2 months with new free content.

Pokemon Mystry Dungeon is an GOOD Remake of a good Spinoff Game. Dungeoncrawler, with little heartbreaking story and tons of postcontent with a hard difficulty.

Luigis Mansion 3: Pretty fun, mostly you just explore, solving Puzzle, finding secrets. The atmosphere in this game is beatutiful, funny and unique! Even Bossbattles are hard and sometimes you u need some trys/time to find a way to beat the Boss.

Astral Chain is a cool Action Game, with a unique and fun Battlesystem. Its not a masterpeace, but a good, solid game, with cool music, good battlemchanics and cool bossbattles.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (Wii U Port) - the Best 2D Jump n Run u can get on the Switch. Challengeing Bossbattles, GOOOD leveldesigne and gorgeous music.

Mario Maker 2 - Perfect to play endless Mario Levels or creating your own. Online Multiplayer suck, cause no servers, so with bad people the P2P Connection slow down the game so hard its unplayable.

Hyrule Warrior Defenitive Edition: Warrior Game in Zeldauniverse. Muchcontent, much Fun, much good music. Pref this game over the new HW Time of Calamity, cause HW TOC has less Content, felt much more unfun for me and istn Canonstory at alle...HW DE has like 1000x more Content/Characters/Weapons/Skills.

Mario + Rabbids: Really fun and channelnging Tactic Game. The game often make me laghing loud. I dont like the rabbids that much, but they were pretty funny in this game.

Mario 3D Allstar - You should buy it now, cause its limited until 31th march (probally selling the game solo sometimes in the future) - YOu get Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1.

If you need some fun Partygames i would give Super Bomberman R, 1-2 Switch and Arms a chance. Funny games for a partynight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man Nintendo really pisses me off sometimes. How is it that a console, that released in 2017, doesn't have basic party and voice chat features in the console OS? My friends and I are gearing up to play MH Rise and we had to sit down and figure out how we were going to talk and play the game together. The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 figured this shit out years ago. It's unacceptable that I even had to have this conversation.

You have to remember this for the most part was a franchise always locked to the weakest hardware of each generation. Gameboy, GBA, DS, 3DS and so on. Sword and Shield was the first time the worlds biggest IP, a franchise that makes more money than Catholicism was going to come out the gates with their first mainline big budget entry in the series on a home console rather than a decade old handheld.

Then we got this instead:

This was coming out after Breath of the Wild and was looking at times like it came out before Ocarina of Time. Thats an extreme example but there is a laundry list that anyone with half a brain can estimate the situation was a case of the Pokemon Company having all the millions of dollars worth of merchandise with the new galar region designs ready to ship and the game had to release the same time wether it was ready or not and it wasn't ready.

You can see this as you progress where the early gyms have you do things like sheep herding or some other mini game but by the end you don't actually do the challenge and the gym leader just goes "fight these three jobbers in a side room, okay you passed the test" and you can feel the development time run out.

I've been playing the Pokemon games since day one and while they all have flaws both technical or mechanics wise Sword and Shield is the most clearly unfinished mainline entry they have ever put out. Because the money is in the franchise and not the games nowadays. Its an advert to sell plushies, posters, t shirts and especially trading cards with a bunch of new designs on and a form you own party monster raising sim rpg second.

Not only was it in vaccuum the most mediocre mainline entry it was also the one with the most expectations behind it. So we didn't just get a bad pokemon game, because any series has bad entries, but we looked at other games that made the same hardware jump like Animal Crossing and then looked at the sorry state of sword and shield and the sentiment was "you are more profitable than star wars, disney or marvel and this is the best you could do? and its worse than the handheld games?"