Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I'm more offended that they said Ori was too easy. My death counter was like in the 50s when I beat the first one.
    First one was definitely pretty hard but mostly because of those escape sequences. Sequel thankfully wasn't as bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dread is a return to form for the series as far as I'm concerned. Sure, there have been other games that have elevated the genre (Hollow Knight being a shining example), but this entry feels like it has adapted just enough to the modern Metroidvania genre without losing the series' identity in the process.

I'm someone who was always more on the -vania side of things than the Metroid- despite being a fan of both, and typically like to see more risks taken/innovation attempted.

The game's just good.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I'm more offended that they said Ori was too easy. My death counter was like in the 50s when I beat the first one.
    50s?

*cries in Celeste*

I am confused though by this claim of Tech's that Hollow Knight is only a metroidvania by the "slimmest of margins". Maybe I'm missing something, but my impression of the term was what Video Game's said which is exactly what Hollow Knight fits into.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2021-10-10 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    50s?

*cries in Celeste*

I am confused though by this claim of Tech's that Hollow Knight is only a metroidvania by the "slimmest of margins". Maybe I'm missing something, but my impression of the term was what Video Game's said which is exactly what Hollow Knight fits into.
    Because Hollow Knight wants to be a Souls game more then it wants to be a Metroidvania, and it's only such because Team Cherry doesn't have the budget or man power to make an actual Souls game. It's a Metroidvania, it wouldn't be something I claim as the blueprint of the genre or some shit since when I play it I feel a game inspired by from software more so then any metroidvania. I have only ever seen people that played it as their first metroidvania make hilarious claims about it being the gold standard of the genre. Good game, not even a top 5 metroidvania for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Because Hollow Knight wants to be a Souls game more then it wants to be a Metroidvania, and it's only such because Team Cherry doesn't have the budget or man power to make an actual Souls game. It's a Metroidvania, it wouldn't be something I claim as the blueprint of the genre or some shit since when I play it I feel a game inspired by from software more so then any metroidvania. I have only ever seen people that played it as their first metroidvania make hilarious claims about it being the gold standard of the genre. Good game, not even a top 5 metroidvania for me.
    It can be two things.

I agree that they put too much emphasis on the idea of "a boss fight being the reward" (much as I love a good boss fight) but I don't think that makes it a worse Metroidvania game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Castlevania > metroid > ori > hk anyway

Tech is arguing just to argue as usual and then trying some ridiculous gatekeeping.

Hollow Knight is an amazing game that is about as pure a metroidvania experiance as one could want. Its not fanboying or overhyping the game to state its one of the best examples of the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’ve been having a lot of fun with it. 9/10 for me after 1.5 playthroughs.
    I've been having a lot of fun with it as well, but I'd have to consider this the worst traditional Metroid to date. That said, I've only just defeated Kraid, so we'll see what happens.

So, emmi; I think this is poor design. The sections have been pretty boring so far and they seem like just another 'nemesis' system that breaks immersion.

I'm not sure what I think of the uppercut-counter yet.

For a Metroid game, the areas so far feel bland and washed out, as do most smaller enemies. I also miss that sense of loneliness and dread that was so tangible in all other 2D Metroid games.

We'll see what the game brings.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Im early in but wow I really dislike the EMMI sections and find them frustrating as hell.

Metroid has never ever been a GOTCHA 1 shot game.

Visually something feels off too. Im hoping as I play more it will click with me but so far im not enjoying myself.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Its not fanboying or overhyping the game to state its one of the best examples of the genre.
    Keep believing that HK is a better example of the genre then Dread. Whatever makes you sleep at night people that learned what a metroidvania is from Hollow Knight lol...

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Yes, and I think it's great as long as you have a good and stable internet connection. First off the console UI is dramatically better than standard keyboard/mouse because you have quick access to 12 hotkeys that you can easily bind and which are visible 6 at a time on the screen at all times. It makes multi-ability builds so easy and way better than the old system of "toggle ability-cast-toggle next ability-cast". Movement is easy and honestly feels great. You can play with a controller on PC too, but it's the native UI for the Switch obviously.

Haven't seen any noticeable performance issues but I've been playing docked 100% of the time. The one issue I really have is the main lobby, which is shit and gives you very little ability to make/join games in the way that longtime D2 players will be used to. It's very automated and very bad, but my understanding is that it's that way for everyone. Hopefully it's something that they decide to change down the road.
    I loved Diablo III on Switch, so very much looking forward to play Diablo II as well. But I'm waiting for a sale, not there paying 40 bucks for it to be honest.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

I too have no idea how Hollow Knight isn't a Metroidvania. Large, intricate 2D levels requiring various abilities to proceed and shortcuts for skilled players? Exploration and checkpoint-based progression? Light RPG elements in the case of Castlevania? Story being of lesser importance, instead weaved into the world building? It ticks all the major boxes as far as I'm concerned. Having difficult bosses and save checkpoints that respawn enemies does not a Soulslike make, even if the influence of that series on HK is quite clear. Hell one could easily argue Demon's/Dark Souls took a number of design cues from Metoidvanias in the first place.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Hell one could easily argue Demon's/Dark Souls took a number of design cues from Metoidvanias in the first place.
    Only if you're trying to argue that 3D Zelda and King's Field where inspired by metroidvanias, because Souls basically combined those 2 things. That would be a silly argument to make.

Again HK is a metroidvania, not sure why people are so up tight about trying to prove it. Only HK fandom being obnoxious just like Undertale fandom think it's a genre defining game.

Only if you're trying to argue that 3D Zelda and King's Field where inspired by metroidvanias, because Souls basically combined those 2 things. That would be a silly argument to make.

Again HK is a metroidvania, not sure why people are so up tight about trying to prove it. Only HK fandom being obnoxious just like Undertale fandom think it's a genre defining game.
    It's genre defining in that it is the best game in the genre. Nobody is claiming that it started the series and is the "blueprint". I know it's hard to imagine, but it's perfectly valid to say that HK is better than SM and SotN while still recognizing those games as the previous pinnacles and also establishing certain motifs within it (and that they're still great games).

Dread is a perfectly fine game, but in no way is it the best Metroid game when it misses the mark on what makes Metroid great (good atmosphere, memorable environments, amazing music) and doesn't bring anything new to the table.

You're the one who even started this nonsense by claiming it was only a metroidvania "by the slimmest of margins" and "not true to the genre". Backpedaling now doesn't erase your previous hyperbole. As for not being genre defining, you're not the boss of me or anyone else and that's a matter of opinion more than anything else.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really don't know why people think so highly of hk and call it genre defining. Ive played dozens of metroidvanias and i cant get more than a few hours in hk because its so slow and ultra boring. I've played god awful hentai metroidvanias that were more fun. Sotn is still the pinnacle of the genre in every way

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I really don't know why people think so highly of hk and call it genre defining. Ive played dozens of metroidvanias and i cant get more than a few hours in hk because its so slow and ultra boring. I've played god awful hentai metroidvanias that were more fun. Sotn is still the pinnacle of the genre in every way
    Biggest criticism toward Hollow Knight is its slow start. It takes a couple of hours before things start speeding up, though once you know what you're doing it's alot faster on repeat playthroughs.

Main reason people praise it so much is the sheer amount of content you get for the low price. Rare case of not charging enough for a game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Biggest criticism toward Hollow Knight is its slow start. It takes a couple of hours before things start speeding up, though once you know what you're doing it's alot faster on repeat playthroughs.

Main reason people praise it so much is the sheer amount of content you get for the low price. Rare case of not charging enough for a game.
    I see, but i don't care for content for contents sake if the gameplay isn't very fun. I'm not biggest fan the stealth sections of zero mission and would have been fine if that was cut

I see, but i don't care for content for contents sake if the gameplay isn't very fun. I'm not biggest fan the stealth sections of zero mission and would have been fine if that was cut
    I think its just one of the rare cases where a universally loved game just isnt for you.

I feel that way about Majora's Mask. love the asthetic but hate playing the game.

It definitely has a learning curve. At the start you are super cautious cause you don't want to die and lose your currency but eventually you get comfortable enough to speed through areas.

Of course it help that death isn't as big a deal in the mid to late game since the currency has no real use at that point.