Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Rumors of SWTOR 2

pretty self explanatory. Heard some rumors around in the last couple days. I personally just wanted the game to change his engine, even now WoW beats them so hard its not even a fight.

Am I dreaming to much to hope this happens?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    pretty self explanatory. Heard some rumors around in the last couple days. I personally just wanted the game to change his engine, even now WoW beats them so hard its not even a fight.

what rumors and where did you hear it?

and the engine wasn't bad. The problem with swtor is basicly the problem with most new mmo's: Endgame. Most people want the same endgame as WoW has but that takes time and people seem to forget that 8 out of 10 times.

No Tusk Club.

Without having done any real research on the subject, so simply an opinion: I'm going to have to go with Very Unlikely.

I would love it though. Few things I would want more than advancing the storyline on my Imperial Agent, rolling from cover to cover, snippin' n takin' names.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostblade View Post

and the engine wasn't bad. The problem with swtor is basicly the problem with most new mmo's: Endgame. Most people want the same endgame as WoW has but that takes time and people seem to forget that 8 out of 10 times.
    I actually find the endgame pretty good. But that goddamit engine that makes everthing slow...

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually find the endgame pretty good. But that goddamit engine that makes everthing slow...
    ofcourse endgame now is good cause it had time to develop but what is slow then with the engine?

No Tusk Club.

ofcourse endgame now is good cause it had time to develop but what is slow then with the engine?
    Bugs, frame rate and lag issues, not even the best video cards can run it propely.. the list goes on

- - - Updated - - -

It needs more polish, its evident.

Bugs, frame rate and lag issues, not even the best video cards can run it propely.. the list goes on

- - - Updated - - -

Bugs are bugs, not game engine.
    Lags are also not related to that.
    And I played it on SLI gtx40 without frame rate drops.

Quote Originally Posted by DiNett View Post
    Bugs are bugs, not game engine.
    Lags are also not related to that.
    And I played it on SLI gtx40 without frame rate drops.
    well im not that wealthy and even with low graphics i get drops. and i have 560ti
    Also, details, QoF.. professions needs to be revised (cybertech and biochem still so much overpower)
    Space could be more integrated with the rest of the game without being just pvp

The minor bugs are really annoying, they could be fix, buy i dont why they dont.
    Legacy have to be revisited too, updated. Theres so much good ideas of systens that could be explored.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the game. I would certanly switch completely over wow if there was less issues =/

Deleted

The first game was riddiculously expensive if I'm right in remembering? Was the most expensive video game developed at the time. I doubt they made enough on the first one to make a second, plus the whole experience made a lot of Bioware developers quit.

I find this extremely unlikely. You're right about the engine sucking though. Monster loading screens and frame drops when encountering opposite faction players really tanked that game.

The game never felt enough like an MMO to me. The mechanics weren't deep enough, or at least the way they were presented made them feel that way. It was easy to just faceroll through anything, and there was little need to play well beyond not standing in the HUGE OBVIOUS POOP ZONE. The pervading paradigm for me was the feeling of having MMO content tacked onto a single player game.

And it's great in single player. The stories of the classes are fun and engaging, the characters, followers, etc. are interesting and fun to play with. The class design is cool too, and I really found it a well-done representation of the SW universe.

The engine is alright, but certainly a bit underwhelming. Everything looks like it's made from wax or shiny 70s plastic, and it performs quite poorly. This becomes especially frustrating with the jumping puzzles, where terrible input response and lag ruin your day trying to land on that 10x10 pixel ledge.

Endgame is obviously the worst part of it all. You play through your story, and then what? You grind the most boring daily quests in the history of daily quests? Do "heroic dungeons" that are in no way challenging or demanding and can be facerolled by any freshly maxed character, requiring no coordination or planning whatsoever? The raids were okay, but not all that interesting to me. There definitely needed to be more difficulty levels to give hardcore players something to do, as even the hardest raids felt very straightforward to MMO veterans.

Of course, that was mostly in the early time of the game. I stopped playing before the first expansion came out, and it's very possible that many of these issues have been addressed by now. I might give a SWTOR2 another shot if it were to came out (which I personally doubt), but I'd approach it as a single player game with optional MMO content from the get-go. And who knows: maybe they'll design it that way? It could be the KOTOR3 people have been waiting for, just, well, not exactly KOTOR.

- - - Updated - - -

SWTOR was my moste enjoyed MMO in relation to leveling!

It was so much fun, listeing the conversation not just read them.
    Experience the Story etc...

I was a Jedi Caster that was also able to heal ( duno the name anymore) and at Dungeons if you healed your ally it always toke to much time for the heal until he was through.

You finish the cast but the Heal needet the time till the Charanimation was finisht to actualy finish the spell, after that and the latency the heal arrived...

Soooo often mates died because of that...

If there where massive improvemente in that regard,, i would really love a SWTOR2 or a good polished SWTOR1...

Sometimes i miss my lvl phase, what just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordog View Post
    SWTOR was my moste enjoyed MMO in relation to leveling!

It was so much fun, listeing the conversation not just read them.
    Experience the Story etc...

I was a Jedi Caster that was also able to heal ( duno the name anymore) and at Dungeons if you healed your ally it always toke to much time for the heal until he was through.

You finish the cast but the Heal needet the time till the Charanimation was finisht to actualy finish the spell, after that and the latency the heal arrived...

Soooo often mates died because of that...

If there where massive improvemente in that regard,, i would really love a SWTOR2 or a good polished SWTOR1...

Sometimes i miss my lvl phase, what just awesome.
    Yeah. same for me =/

- - - Updated - - -

I dont know how hard its to switch an engine for a game. But they have the most expensive voice acting already done.

- - - Updated - - -

WTB patch only with bugs and glitches fixed, along with better performance ='(

- - - Updated - - -

Heard some rumors about that in the last cantine tour.

Nope. Its the games engine that most people bitch about.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I doubt they would make a SWTOR 2 purely based off the cost of making an all new MMO. If anything, I'd hope they make a KOTOR 3 (I wish...)

Heard some rumors about that in the last cantine tour.
    Do you have more to go on than that. ^

I go to those things and SWTOR 2 is not even remotely talked about. Not even in rumor.

There are lots of things wrong with the engine that makes me go "hey that other game that i played didnt have this problem". You can compare it to any game right now, but a more fair comparison would be to compare each game as it was at like say release or the 6 month mark or the 12 month mark. Six months after WoW was released did they have the kind of game engine issues that SWTOR was having? what about LOTRO 6 months after release? Wildstar 6 months after release?

Now i'm not talking about gameplay issues like not enough content was developed, or the content was just copied off of games that did it 10 years ago. I mean things that can come from having a crappy game engine.

-on your SW hit Vicious Slash and jump. The animations for jumping abilities are pretty crude. How were animations like in WoW on release? after 6 months? after 12 months? i picked WoW not because everybody likes to compare stuff to them but because its an older game.

-getting stuck on railings, objects and rocks/mountains. Its really easy to get stuck on terrain in SWTOR. Obvious solution is for players to stay away from those kinds of things but still...

-all water is waist high. You could go to Ord Mantell run out a hundred feet and the water will still only come up to your waist. Not that it matters because there is no underwater content anyways. But i can name 1 maaaaybe 2 games that had water that you didnt fight in but only traveled through but they at least have a proper swim animation. I found a body of water in Balmorra or Alderaan and it went above my head, but my character just kept on running right through it like it was no big deal.

-certain animations slow down when you get further away. This is pretty easy to see on the Tranta on Alderaan (not the taxi ones) or on any flying creature with big flapping wings. On certain humanoid guard NPCs that have any kind of movement you can see this too. When you are close the animation runs at normal speed, but when you get further away the animation starts to get choppy and slow. I've played SWTOR on a premade Dell and a custom PC w/ Msi 680GTX, 16GB Team Vulcan ram and a Sandisk SSD and i saw the animation slowdown on both PCs.

Other things too like gunslinger/merc run animation issues where both of their legs were moving up and down at the same exact time. Or disappearing weapons on a killing blow. You could say that those are just bugs...but would they even be in the game if they had gone with an in house created engine and not something leased or found inside of a crackerjack box?

As far as the OP goes with an SWTOR 2 release? yah i doubt it. I'm actually wondering about how all the people who have spent tons of money will react when they find out that SWTOR is getting shut down and SWTOR 2 is getting released. Will there be some kind of backlash? will people not even bother switching over cause they dont want to lose money again?

As others have said, where, and what leads you to believe it?

Because from all the available information, there's zero reason to even remotely consider this an option.

1. SWTOR is currently in a comfortable/strong position. They've stabilized and are on a solid cadence of updates with steady revenue, and a likely spike with the new Star Wars movies on the way. The game isn't even 4 years old yet, and it's still got plenty of life left in it.

2. SWTOR bombed at launch financially. HARD. Like, pretty mega-hard. It sold well but sub dropoff was huge, which is why it transitioned to F2P within the first year, with the announcement 6 months in and live support all but ended while they worked on the transition. After the failure of WAR and now SWTOR, EA is unlikely to do another massive budget MMO, especially a subscription based MMO. We've also got the troubles both ESO and WildStar have had since their launches to back this up with further evidence of just how insanely risky launching a big budget subscription based MMO is in the current market, even with a super strong IP.

3. To my knowledge, there haven't been any staff beefups at any EA studios nor any acquisitions of studios that would possibly work on it. Considering it would more than likely be a branch of BioWare working on it if it was a SWTOR sequel (assuming a continued focus on story), this doesn't really make much sense at the moment. They'd need to start ramping up their staff size in order to support SWTOR while building SWTOR 2.

There is speculation of a new expansion
    http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/21/st...ansion-rumors/

but nothing about a sequel to the game. sounds more like that you wish there was a swtor 2 coming out. I'd say there is a bigger chance of a WoW 2 coming out and that isn't going to happen...so slim to none

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    WoW 2 would be far more likely than a SWTOR 2. New SWTOR xpac? Sure. No way EA would commit the amount of cash SWTOR 2 would need to be created.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    SNIP...

3. To my knowledge, there haven't been any staff beefups at any EA studios nor any acquisitions of studios that would possibly work on it. Considering it would more than likely be a branch of BioWare working on it if it was a SWTOR sequel (assuming a continued focus on story), this doesn't really make much sense at the moment. They'd need to start ramping up their staff size in order to support SWTOR while building SWTOR 2.
    There are a couple quotes and posts out there I need to find but I think staffing is slowing getting ramped up in the BW side of things for SWTOR and some other projects.

The first one I could find was this:

While the team did amazing work on the game concept and we got lots of great feedback from our fans at events and through other game testing, right now there are other projects for the team to work on within the BioWare studios for the coming year and beyond. We’ve got an incredibly talented team here at the Austin studio, and they are excited and already deep on new projects within the BioWare family, ones that will make some great BioWare games even better.

These include additional ongoing enhancements to the award-winning Dragon Age: Inquisition, as well as the next game in the Mass Effect series and other new IP.

But the biggest focus for our team in BioWare Austin will be on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. As every Star Wars™ fan knows, this is a massive year in the Star Wars universe. We have some great plans for expanding this epic game this year, and look forward to sharing the news about those plans with our players in the coming weeks.
    I know thats a bit general but it seems they want to get some pretty good focus on SWTOR as the movie gets closer. "There are other projects for the team to work on within BW". I take that to mean more people on the SWTOR crew. Capitalize on the the incoming wave of fans. That doesn't mean there getting a lot of staff but I think there is going to be a focus on SWTOR because of the movie and thats not a bad thing.

There is another post out there somewhere that talks about moving resources to SWTOR as well but I'm having trouble finding it at the moment.