There isn't much surprise that it has been delayed. I think people have been expecting that for some time given just how little detail has been coming out. If they had been aiming for this year then they had a stack of information to showcase and very little time left - still have 5 factions (Cathay, 3 more monogods and Chaos undivided) plus pre-order race plus maps, sieges etc to showcase.

Hopefully we get something soon though in terms of news. We are already halfway through September.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    There isn't much surprise that it has been delayed. I think people have been expecting that for some time given just how little detail has been coming out. If they had been aiming for this year then they had a stack of information to showcase and very little time left - still have 5 factions (Cathay, 3 more monogods and Chaos undivided) plus pre-order race plus maps, sieges etc to showcase.

Hopefully we get something soon though in terms of news. We are already halfway through September.
    Tomorrow is Cathay day and I assume the following news will concern them as well. From then on they could easily cover one faction per 3 week or month, with news about features sprinkled in between, hell even Kislev and Khorne need more info still RE their campaign mechanics and goals, plus showcasing the units we've already seen in their roster reveals.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I'd honestly prefer smaller campaign maps like the DLC campaigns.

When I hear stuff like "Larger than the WH:TW2 map" I'm getting bored. That's so unimportant to me.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-09-14 at 09:32 AM.

Honestly a good move.

Last edited by Maximus Testiculos; 2021-09-14 at 02:29 PM.

This is amazing and better than anything I had imagined.

Mostly looked interesting, but those balloons just looked a bit silly. Even for Warhammer. The rest worked.

I hope we get to find out soon what the dark side of Cathay is. All other Order factions have a dark side so Cathay better have one too.

And good to see the Disc Riders for Tzeentch in there.

Cathay is Jade Empire gone grimdark. Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Mostly looked interesting, but those balloons just looked a bit silly. Even for Warhammer. The rest worked.

I hope we get to find out soon what the dark side of Cathay is. All other Order factions have a dark side so Cathay better have one too.

Probably oppressing its own population for the emperor. No bad words can be said and they need to sacrifice for them. Fitting to chinese history too. Absolutely no freedom.

I really don't understand anything I just watched and I'm more hyped for this than I was for the last two WoW expansions.

I mean, I don't think hot air balloons with guns are any sillier than guys in plate armor riding magical flying skateboards myself. The rest of the army looks great, I like the emphasis on spears working together with ranged troops that they talked about in the FAQ. Combined arms is my jam. The lore about the Dragon Emperor and his wife being basically gods is a bit over the top even for the setting IMO but it's no big deal since they won't be playable. They'll probably form the backdrop of the story campaign, guiding the playable LLs against Chaos. On the flip side, invading their skyborne palace as Chaos would be very, very cool and I hope it happens.

All in all I'm very pleased by this reveal. I feared Cathay would be overloaded with mystical tropes like fighting monkeys, monks fisting people and jade everywhere and I'm happy to be wrong. Can't wait to hear more about them, they may just be the first faction I play if pulled off right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I mean, I don't think hot air balloons with guns are any sillier than guys in plate armor riding magical flying skateboards myself. The rest of the army looks great, I like the emphasis on spears working together with ranged troops that they talked about in the FAQ. Combined arms is my jam. The lore about the Dragon Emperor and his wife being basically gods is a bit over the top even for the setting IMO but it's no big deal since they won't be playable. They'll probably form the backdrop of the story campaign, guiding the playable LLs against Chaos. On the flip side, invading their skyborne palace as Chaos would be very, very cool and I hope it happens.

All in all I'm very pleased by this reveal. I feared Cathay would be overloaded with mystical tropes like fighting monkeys, monks fisting people and jade everywhere and I'm happy to be wrong. Can't wait to hear more about them, they may just be the first faction I play if pulled off right.
    I have no problems with hot air balloons with guns - only that the Cathay ones look rather silly and that they should have gone to the Dawi who already had one of those in the lore, that being the Thunderbarge, which looks like a proper airship. The rest of what has been shown I have no problems with. They look fine. And at least there are no pandas. It is much more grounded than a lot of people thought and feared it might be.

The Dragon Emperor and his wife in effect being at the level of gods is a massive retcon and also has serious lore implications. So these two ultra-powerful figures did nothing when Cathay was wrecked by the Skaven during end times? They are going to sit their doing nothing when players lead the forces of Chaos to rampage across Cathay and even take the Celestial Palace? And what lore is known has that there were multiple different Dragon Emperors of Cathay and that at one time the Monkey King seized power in Cathay and ruled in the place of the Dragon Emperor.

Now that was a badass trailer.
    Do you hear the voices too?

15+ Year Old Account
    Aye was good, bolt lock rifles on the balloons. Cathay has been hiding it's secrets well.

- - - Updated - - -

Heresy! You will play Chaos first! As was intended.

I have no problems with hot air balloons with guns - only that the Cathay ones look rather silly and that they should have gone to the Dawi who already had one of those in the lore, that being the Thunderbarge, which looks like a proper airship. The rest of what has been shown I have no problems with. They look fine. And at least there are no pandas. It is much more grounded than a lot of people thought and feared it might be.

The Dragon Emperor and his wife in effect being at the level of gods is a massive retcon and also has serious lore implications. So these two ultra-powerful figures did nothing when Cathay was wrecked by the Skaven during end times? They are going to sit their doing nothing when players lead the forces of Chaos to rampage across Cathay and even take the Celestial Palace? And what lore is known has that there were multiple different Dragon Emperors of Cathay and that at one time the Monkey King seized power in Cathay and ruled in the place of the Dragon Emperor.
    It IS a retcon for sure, but for one the End Times suck and the Skaven a-moving the entire world by their lonesome can be retconned away at will, and for two you can possibly explain there being multiple Emperors as the populace mistaking their children (which are plenty powerful themselves) for the real deal. Besides, the good guy's gods being lazy slackers is a running theme in Warhammer. Only Sigmar himself actually gets up and gets shit done.

As for the Thunderbarge, if anything the existence of fighting hot air balloons only strengthens the likelihood of it showing up in a Dwarf DLC later down the line, since the basic template is already in the game.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I was almost more hyped to finally see the forces of Tzeentch than I was those of Cathay. I get so tired of most video games featuring only Chaos Undivided, Khorne, or (occasionally) Nurgal when it comes to the forces of Chaos, especially since I find Tzeentech and Slaanesh vastly more interesting.

Don't get me wrong: the Cathay stuff was still super cool and I'm aware of how big of a deal it is that they are finally making a full, official appearance in the world of Warhammer. I especially liked the magic user who seemed to use ink to attack and, of course, the big dragon reveal at the end of the trailer.

That said, I was still way more jazzed to see that two-headed birb flying around and roasting stuff, like it didn't give a single fuck.
    Last edited by RadasNoir; 2021-09-15 at 02:25 PM.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

That two headed bird is Kairos fateweaver, the LL for Tzeentch. One head sees the past, the other the future but neither the present.

It IS a retcon for sure, but for one the End Times suck and the Skaven a-moving the entire world by their lonesome can be retconned away at will, and for two you can possibly explain there being multiple Emperors as the populace mistaking their children (which are plenty powerful themselves) for the real deal. Besides, the good guy's gods being lazy slackers is a running theme in Warhammer. Only Sigmar himself actually gets up and gets shit done.
    It's a small retcon at best, AFAIK Cathay "lore" was just scattered bits of information there and there, presented from other factions' PoV. The impressions of Cathay we got are just as distorted as Europeans' impression of China (and vice versa) was. GW is probably planning to actually flesh out Cathay in the future, since they are "resurrecting" WH Fantasy, WH3 Cathay is just the first step.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

That two headed bird is Kairos fateweaver, the LL for Tzeentch. One head sees the past, the other the future but neither the present.
    Yeah, I saw people talking about him in various comments about the trailer. Love the design and the concept. Strong contender for one of the first campaigns I want to try when TWWIII finally comes out.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    It's a small retcon at best, AFAIK Cathay "lore" was just scattered bits of information there and there, presented from other factions' PoV. The impressions of Cathay we got are just as distorted as Europeans' impression of China (and vice versa) was. GW is probably planning to actually flesh out Cathay in the future, since they are "resurrecting" WH Fantasy, WH3 Cathay is just the first step.
    Yeah, it's hardly a big deal at all, but you know it is, some people in the community (not necessarily in this thread) like to make a big deal out of everything.