Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Claim Your Spot in the Next Heart of Thorns Closed Beta

Claim Your Spot in the
    Next Heart of Thorns Closed Beta

by The Guild Wars 2 Team on April 27, 2015

Starting tomorrow, April 28, heroes adventuring in the Maguuma Wastes have a chance to find a mysterious portal to the heart of the Maguuma Jungle. Looting one of these special trophy items grants you access to the next Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ PvE closed beta event!

For a limited time only, rare portals will drop from enemies in Dry Top and the Silverwastes. Portals can’t be traded between players, so bring your friends along to hunt for their very own! Don’t worry if your portal gets misplaced in a sandstorm or devoured by a passing ravager; beta access will be flagged upon looting the item, and it’s not required to claim participation.

Please visit our Heart of Thorns Beta FAQ for more details, and happy hunting!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/c...s-closed-beta/

Also - Mesmer Specialization Hype!

Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats a new way to give people access to beta...

I usually have tuesdays off. Why the fuck does this week have to be the week when I don't have a tuesday off? Also chronomancer?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm reading it as the beta portal trophy item will start dropping tomorrow, but so far we don't know how long it will drop or when the closed beta event starts.
    Valar morghulis

That's actually a super cool way to give people access to the beta. Kudo's to Anet for coming up with interesting things.

Also, seriously, I just want Anet to dump all their concept art. It's so pretttttyyyyyyyyy.

I suppose one "downside" to this method is it's pretty much only for anyone with a level 80 in the current game, since those particular zones are for level 80s. But to be fair, the new zones in HoT are designed for level 80s in mind, or so I would believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    I suppose one "downside" to this method is it's pretty much only for anyone with a level 80 in the current game, since those particular zones are for level 80s. But to be fair, the new zones in HoT are designed for level 80s in mind, or so I would believe.
    Yeah, they're for level 80. So it makes sense they only want level 80's in there testing the new zones and systems, as they're designed primarily for max level characters.

Sounds like a way to filter out "beta testers" who don't actually own or play the game from the testing (as usually happens in MMO expansion betas). Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Sounds like a way to filter out "beta testers" who don't actually own or play the game from the testing (as usually happens in MMO expansion betas). Interesting!
    Honestly, I'd want some testing done by folks not currently playing the game, specifically lapsed players. They're going to be providing valuable feedback from players that Anet is looking to win back, or in the case of folks who don't play at all, folks who Anet is looking to win over.

Expansions are just as much tools for winning back and earning new players as they are for keeping existing players happy with a huge chunk of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, I'd want some testing done by folks not currently playing the game, specifically lapsed players. They're going to be providing valuable feedback from players that Anet is looking to win back, or in the case of folks who don't play at all, folks who Anet is looking to win over.

Expansions are just as much tools for winning back and earning new players as they are for keeping existing players happy with a huge chunk of content.
    This method of beta access is basically working as a ploy to get those people to log back in, too. Only thing it would cost folks is time downloading the game client (assuming they don't still have it installed). But I agree on the sentiment about luring former players back.

What an awesome idea for getting a beta pass.

Deleted
    Great idea :3 Unfortunately it won't be something I can join - again. This round I just got no time XD

I'm just sitting here... wondering what the drop rate will be...

I'm super unlucky, though. :<

10+ Year Old Account
    You've never seen that brave uplevels in Silverwaste? I've watch level 40s do Vinewrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone know the exact time it'll start? "tomorrow, april 28th" is kind of vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Does anyone know the exact time it'll start? "tomorrow, april 28th" is kind of vague.
    Nope; it's just tomorrow. Presumably, that'd be starting three hours from now, at 12 am PST.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoa, that's really interesting. I've never seen any company flag people for beta like that.

I haven't logged in that often lately (busy with a couple of other MMOs atm) so I clicked this thinking there would be a sign up for beta. Very good way to weed out people so you get the ones who are actively playing in the beta! I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    You've never seen that brave uplevels in Silverwaste? I've watch level 40s do Vinewrath.
    I've seen sub 80s in dry top a couple of times. To be fair, though, I have not spent much time in either of those zones. J would not be shocked at all to see people out there on lowbies later today just for a chance at a beta invite.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    There is a patch downloading currently, so it probably starts now.

I've seen sub 80s in dry top a couple of times. To be fair, though, I have not spent much time in either of those zones. J would not be shocked at all to see people out there on lowbies later today just for a chance at a beta invite.
    My ranger is 62, and I have 40 tomes stacked up from daily log ins since I bought the game way back in February, so I might be tempted to use 18 of them, loot my exotic gear chest and just run on over to Magumma for the event. Then again, NCsoft advertised the portal as a "rare" drop, and we all know GW2's notorious droprate for "rare" items like legends and the likes...