Australian movies are weird.

So just watched this horror flick called "the babadook," I have to admit it's pretty diffferent from stuff that comes out of the United States. It was decent though.

I thought it was pretty good actually. Especially for the horror genre that's been gasping for air as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I thought it was pretty good actually. Especially for the horror genre that's been gasping for air as of late.
    Don't get me wrong, I liked it. It's just so different than what I'm used to coming out of Hollywood.

Horror movies from other countries and cultures are always weird.

While the fear of the unknown (the basic overarching theme in ghost films) is pretty universal, how this fear is expressed is different from culture to culture. As are each culture's representation of malevolent spiritual forces.

And that's just fine; In fact, it's great! A bit of weird is good to break up the monotony, since the actual scariness of horror movies and the fear of the unknown diminishes through operant conditioning each time one experiences something scary or stressful and survives unscathed. The best way to get the rush of being genuinely disturbed by a horror movie/game is to watch/play something that mixes things up and delivers unexpected frights and uniquely disturbing themes which you have not yet been desensitized to from similar experiences offered in your own culture.
    Last edited by Lord Havik; 2015-05-01 at 02:34 AM.
    ~RAWR!