7+ Year Old Account

Do you respond better to positive or negative reinforcement?

TL;DR: Title. Do you respond better to positive or negative reinforcement?
    why do you think that is?
    What kind of personality do you have? Do you think this affects your answer to the first question?

Whenever I'm doing anything I tend to procrastinate. As most people do, in Panda's I was really hoping to fight the Sha of Procrastination but it never showed up. When I got to thinking about the types of motivation and chopping them up to either positive or negative I found I responded a lot better the negative motivators then positive ones.

The simplest example I could think of would be an assignment from school. Usually given all the time in the world to do it. If I start early and show pride in my work I'll be rewarded with a good grade. The parents will see the good grade and I'll be rewarded again with some sort of treat, (not true for all families but that's how it was at my house it wasn't like handouts for trying as it is now a day's but if you showed you excelled at something people in my circle would commend that).
    The alternative to doing this assignment would be a failed mark resulting in a failed grade and potentially causing me to fail the course. Which would result in repeating the course and disappointing my circle of support.

That was what got me motivated more than anything growing up and it is still true for me this day. I feel like I'd be letting people down if I don't live up to their and my own expectations for myself.

Growing off of that whenever I tackle anything in life that will have an impact on me good or bad, I tend to view the consequences before the positives. And I responded better to being punished verse being rewarded as a kid. Yet if I were to describe myself today I'd say I were a positive and outgoing type of person... Where as looking at some kids today who are spoiled rotten as children grow up into little shits as teenagers. Not sure if there is a co-relation with this or not.

I'm curious to know how the rest of MMO Champion feels about this.
    Last edited by dixincide; 2015-05-12 at 07:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love a good whipping

Parents told me there is not much a good beating cant fix.

10+ Year Old Account
    As said, it would depend, but more often negative. I'd prefer not to look like an idiot than to get a pat on the back.

Positive cause gimme moar stuph!

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I love a good whipping
    A sexually charged joke three post in keeping it classy Negative reinforcement helps the most and brutal honesty is alright with me.

Deleted
    I respond strongest to indifference.

Negative reinforcement for sure. I'm way too self-concious not to.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladiswaifu View Post
    A sexually charged joke three post in keeping it classy
    I aim to please in many ways

10+ Year Old Account
    positive critisism. I got an email starting that my progress with grad school was a bit less than satasfactory, and listed the areas I was having problems with. It made me rise to the challenge and i have gotten a LOT better about everything since then (except emailing teachers. Stupid anxiety...)

I respond better to positive reinforcement in almost all situations. Negative reinforcement, for me, only creates doubt and a feeling of further disconnect or set-back from the goal, which typically causes me to either procrastinate or give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I aim to please in many ways
    I need an adult....

I respond best to a mixture of indifference and negative reinforcement. If their negative feedback seems too caring, I lose interest.
    I'm motivated to do my best when people make me feel like I am missing out and am lagging behind everyone else.

There's nothing like playing catch-up and surpassing everyone's expectations.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Positive. Aways.

i guess no one here has taken even the most basic psych courses.

negative reinforcement is the removal of stimuli

positive reinforcement is the addition of stimuli

has nothing to do with the wellness of said stimuli

Public Service Announcement:

Positive Reinforcement: Adding something good.

Negative Reinforcement: Taking away something bad.

Positive Punishment: Adding something bad.

Negative Punishment: Taking away something good.

Examples:

Positive Reinforcement: You got good grades, you get a pizza party. Simple praise also goes here.

Negative Reinforcement: You got good grades, you get a week off from your chores.

Positive Punishment: You got bad grades, you get extra chores. A lecture or getting yelled at or getting spanked all go here as well.

Negative Punishment: You got bad grades, you lose your video game privileges.

wow beaten by seconds lol