Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    I can imagine animal xrays might be expensive as to get a good image of the area and type of tissue you wanted you would either need to expose a few films and get lucky and/or keep going 'til you got a good one or anaesthetise the dog.
    yeah, the dog needs to be anesthetized.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Failure to diagnose I personally experienced also. With two different veterinarians mistaking cancer for something else altogether. But banning you from the group seems odd to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Spines protect the spinal chord. If the cord gets severed then you wouldnt be able to walk.
    "Spinal break" does not neccessarily mean the spinal cord was severed, in the case of brittle bones breaking just the bones of the spine and not the cord is possible.

I hate to sound like a jaded asshole, but this kind of sounds like "She jumped out of the car and injured her leg. Took her to the vet where he said she could possibly have cancer, so we opted to put her down instead of spending thousands on treating an older dog." I hate thinking people do this kind of stuff, but look at PETA. They euthanize no telling how many animals every year because it's cheaper to do that than feed and treat them.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by SogPig View Post
    I'm not convinced anymore that this rescue organization is doing things by the book. But maybe I'm jumping to conclusions...
    It honestly wouldn't be surprising if they were sketchy. In Los Angeles, there's a rescue group on practically every corner and in every pet store. Many of them are clearly only in it for the profit. I've seen a group that has nothing but puppies they adopt. Another that had a female that somehow managed to get pregnant 3 times, and have her puppies adopted out, before they managed to get her spayed. I've seen rescue groups release dogs without being spayed or neutered.

Not all of them are bad, but it's not out of the realm of reality either. I would assume a Golden Retriever rescue group would be savvy enough to know that most of the dogs are going to get cancer. It's a major problem in that breed.

Quote Originally Posted by SogPig View Post
    I hate to sound like a jaded asshole, but this kind of sounds like "She jumped out of the car and injured her leg. Took her to the vet where he said she could possibly have cancer, so we opted to put her down instead of spending thousands on treating an older dog."
    Treating cancer isn't always as simple as removing a tumor. Even if it was a young dog, I'd heavily weigh putting it through the suffering that is chemo just to gain another 6 months to a year (not always the case, I know). Sometimes you have to ask yourself "who am I doing this for?" That's is an even more important question when dealing with older dogs. It's not always about the money.
    Last edited by Maltah; 2015-05-13 at 04:28 PM.