Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account

Possible 4th Spec Options

I've been seeing threads for some time about a 4th spec, and I threw my $0.02 in a different thread, which got me thinking more on the topic.
    My idea in a nutshell was to have a 4th spec, maybe even one that evolved based on your base spec.
    Example was a Warlock becoming a Demon Hunter, foregoing staff or 1hand/offhand for a ranged weapon, then imbuing the projectiles with their shadow flame magic. Warrior becoming a real Gladiator, wielding a Polearm in one hand, shield in the other, going the full 9 yards into DPS instead of the current glad stance of modding a couple abilities. Resto Sham becoming Earth Warden, getting preventative magics, similar to Disc Priest but still retaining their trademarks (chain heal, shields, etc).

So, with that said, my question to you, good people of MMO-C, is what 4th spec would you like to see for the existing classes, and how would you see it work?
    Should it be completely standalone with its own unique abilities and play style? (similar to the Demon Hunter example above)
    Should it be a 'Hero' spec that just adds/alters existing ones to add some variation? (similar to the warrior/shaman example above)
    Should it not happen at all because it's a stupid idea from my stupid brain? (It's ok, I won't be mad)

Not gonna make a poll because I would like to hear how people would like to see it implemented, if at all, which (hopefully) will be a lot more informative than a handful of poll options.

10+ Year Old Account
    4th specs would be a welcome addition over new classes, imo. personally i want to see Warriors get a "Captain" class that uses only one 1h and nothing else, focusing on a squire "pet" and buffs. further down the list are the tanking "Spellbreaker" mage, the harder hitting but less agile "iron fist" monk, and a "Judgement" holy focused dps priest.

I think before they introduce 11 new specs to the game they need to get the other 33 sorted out. WHich is certainly never going to happen.

So no god no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    I think before they introduce 11 new specs to the game they need to get the other 33 sorted out. WHich is certainly never going to happen.

So no god no.
    If they aren't going to balance the other 33, might as well toss them in and see what happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post
    If they aren't going to balance the other 33, might as well toss them in and see what happens.
    exactly. who likes balance anyway? if two classes with perfectly equal stats duel while being controlled by two mistake-free computers, the outcome should not be decided by RNG. If a class is ridiculously broken that is a different story, but just because one class is on average 5% ahead on the dps meters doesn't ruin the game

Were they to start again, I'd hope they gave each class 1 tank or heal spec and 1 dps spec only so the class would be far easier to balance than individual specs.

Balancing 3 mage specs with each other and with the rest of the classes has cost blizzard more than it ever gave them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaspias View Post
    exactly. who likes balance anyway? if two classes with perfectly equal stats duel while being controlled by two mistake-free computers, the outcome should not be decided by RNG. If a class is ridiculously broken that is a different story, but just because one class is on average 5% ahead on the dps meters doesn't ruin the game
    Pretty much. People are always bitching about "homogenization". It's a cute buzzword. You know what would make them all feel different? CHAOS. Let each class have strong and weak points and force the player to figure it out on their own. I say unlock it all, and let the imbalance begin. People might actually enjoy PvP MORE when their class can decimate some and get reckt by others.

15+ Year Old Account
    Few classes deserve a "normal" 4th spec.
    I suppose Mage could have Frostfire spec, DK could have a dps Blood spec (Sanguine?), Retribution a Shockadin spec, etc.

However, what would truly work is Hero specs.

Adding Hero classes is impractical at this point - every one of them would feel like a mix of existing classes.
    Adding Hero specs allows for example Demon Hunter to be available to both Rogues and Warlocks, Rexxar (melee beastmaster) to be Hunter and Warrior, etc, is the solution, and would be quite awesome, specially if unlocking them was meaningful.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

4th specs across the board might be hard. Some classes feel like you could easily do a fifth or a sixth, while others have a hard enough time with a 4th.

Personally, I'd still love to see an Earth-themed Tanking spec for Shaman, for example, but it might be better off more like the new race-class combinations from Cataclysm that were added where it was appropriate (for the most part) than a full checklist covering everyone.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why they don't remove "Dual specializations" altogether and simply have stance change icons like Warriors/Druids which let you switch spec automatically, all abilities included. Warriors technically have 4 now, as do Druids. Surely some other classes could warrant a fourth spec.

they left a lot of specs broken after the prune. they need to fix all of those first before they try designing anything new.

7+ Year Old Account
    Better yet, why not have multiple classes rolled up into one character, thus saving the need for alts. Dual class specialization. Maybe switching to your other chose class, say your Leve 100 Warlock switches to a Priest, well that Priest starts at a lower level, maybe level 90.

I love new classes but honestly 4th spec for everyone would be an improvement.

People have alted themselves out at this point and playing a new expansion in a brand new spec would make it extremely memorable and eliminate the new-class or new-content conundrum (unless they start selling 100 boosts)

Balance isn't going to happen regardless unless they split pve and pvp, they haven't gotten it right in 10 years, it's not an excuse to prohibit new additions to the game

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aristoteles View Post
    Better yet, why not have multiple classes rolled up into one character, thus saving the need for alts. Dual class specialization. Maybe switching to your other chose class, say your Leve 100 Warlock switches to a Priest, well that Priest starts at a lower level, maybe level 90.
    I suggested this in the past, a dual class option at max level that lets you level a second class of the same armor type but keep your professions and just scales you down to the level of your alt class and gives you a short cool down between switching to prevent abuse.

Glad to see I'm not crazy! TY!

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    they left a lot of specs broken after the prune. they need to fix all of those first before they try designing anything new.
    4th Specs are going to require being a bit more open in the case of some classes. Honestly, that kinda mindset might even be what's needed to fix what's going on right now. For instance, Hunters probably don't even need a 4th spec. Beastmastery could just be retooled into a full-on melee spec. That would help distinguish the trees on a class that has spec identity problems. I still think there should be an entire petless spec as well. You could make four or more specs with this, but those ideas could also help give existing specs more distinct identities.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think there are a ton of great ideas, such as this one, which have not been implemented. I've been subbed since November 2004 and I never understood why Blizzard has limited the game as it has. Is it technical limitations form a 10 year-old game?

- - - Updated - - -

No, you are'nt crazy bryroo haha. I thought maybe I was!

I think it's more of a design thing. Until Cataclysm, specs were essentially a bonus on top of a universal class. Specs simply couldn't be that distinct. And it wasn't until relatively recently when they've really started to experiment with talents and such that change based on spec.

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post
    33 is too many to balance, adding more is only going to make more of a mess.
    We don't NEED more specs or more classes, though I suspect we are going to get another class anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    Few classes deserve a "normal" 4th spec.
    I suppose Mage could have Frostfire spec, DK could have a dps Blood spec (Sanguine?), Retribution a Shockadin spec, etc.

However, what would truly work is Hero specs.

Adding Hero classes is impractical at this point - every one of them would feel like a mix of existing classes.
    Adding Hero specs allows for example Demon Hunter to be available to both Rogues and Warlocks, Rexxar (melee beastmaster) to be Hunter and Warrior, etc, is the solution, and would be quite awesome, specially if unlocking them was meaningful.
    I actually kinda like this idea. It's crazy enough to work, and bring in some Warcraft concepts that aren't strong enough to merit a whole class.

Necromancer: Death Knight + Warlock summoner
    Blade Master: Warrior + Monk cleave powerhouse
    Ranger: Hunter + Rogue stealthy archer

Paladin & Priest holy caster DPS is obvious, but what to call it?
    Perhaps a Mage+Druid+Shaman "Arch-" spec throwing around powerful, primal magics?

Another concept I've envisioned is a sort of subspec, profession type enhancement. Instead of adding new specs or new abilities to existing classes in an expansion, make a story where you choose to follow one of the major organizations of Azeroth, to gain abilities and benefits. Join the Ebon Blade to learn Necromancy and summon damaging undead minions, or the Argent Crusade to gain powerful survival and party-healing CDs. Think of it like the garrison outposts in WoD, but usable game-wide.

But, if this is a fourth-spec thread, I have a list:

Death Knight - Necrolyte: These masters of death use dark powers to fend it off from their allies, healing them instead.

Druid - Flame: The watchers in the Firelands have learned to harness the pure, cleansing power of fire to create a new type of ranged DPS.

Hunter - Naturalist: The frontiersman/survivalist uses his knowledge of herbs, salves, and natural magic to heal his allies.

Mage - Physica: a highly trained healer using knowledge of anatomy and the arcane to heal his allies.

Monk - Sky Dancer: Ranged-weapon spec.

Paladin - Inquisitor: Caster DPS, finally giving the Shockadin that has so long been desired.

Priest - Sentinel: Ranged DPS using a bow + holy and arcane, based on Tyrande in Well of Eternity.

Rogue - Swashbuckler: A parry-happy tank who uses speed and subterfuge to stand up to the most terrible of opponents.

Shaman - Earthbreaker: Dual-wield tank using the powers of stone and ice to harden himself against damage. Loosely modeled on Wrath-era DK Frost tanking.

Warlock - Apotheosis: Bring it back! A dark tanking spec that grounds damage directly into the Twisting Nether.

Warrior - Beastmaster: Melee+pet DPS. Battling on the frontiers of more than one world, some warriors have learned to train beasts to be as effective a weapon as their swords. (Probably limited to a few pet types, the "intelligent predators": wolves, dogs, birds-of-prey, perhaps cats and raptors).
    Last edited by Jtree; 2015-05-17 at 03:44 AM.

4th spec for warriors would be glad stance
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be on board for something like "Hero Specs",. I think that would be pretty neat.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed