What spec to play while gearing?

Title says it all. Leveled up my lock and started gearing him up. I love playing destro but taught myself how to play demo since apparently its leaps and bounds better on virtually every fight. I don't have crap for trinkets yet so Destro and Demo are both close DPS wise to my current gear. What spec is the best to play until I get some halfway decent gear?

Well if they are close why does it matter? Personally though I found that Demo does better at lower gear levels but if you are just doing LFR or say normals then DPS does not matter as much and play what you like. Anyhow, Demo has better mobility. Destro has more frequent burst (on ST anyhow) and better sustained AoE DPS but you shouldn't really need that in BRF. If playing only one spec then I think that Demo tends to do better overall in BRF. However, Destro and Aff at the moment are looking like the goto specs for next tier if you are planning for the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what your aims are, in any case, I'd start with Destruction, as it's easier and more newbie friendly spec, you can get somewhat okay with it fast. After that I'd suggest trying Demo, more complicated but generally same idea as Destruction, just more confusing and with strings attached.

I'm familiar with both specs quite well. I was just wondering which was better until i start getting some BiS. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    I'm familiar with both specs quite well. I was just wondering which was better until i start getting some BiS. Thanks
    If you're familiar with both specs quite well you should already know the answer?

Thanks for the input guys.

for lvling? any spec you have fun playing. there is no min maxing while leveling, only your enjoyment on the line.
    BETA CLUB

Deleted
    for lvling i recommend demonology... idk... i feel its faster than rest of the specs.. also great for solo stuff like elites

Deleted
    destro is more fun to play

i leveld as destro; but also demo is viable

If you read the first post (and the title) the original question is about gearing at 100 and not levelling.

dont waste time and play frost Kappa

LFR it really doesn't matter...odds of your performance making or breaking the group is almost nil. Meaning even in mythic gear you can't compensate for full retard nor does doing 1K more or less dps per fight really matter there which is all the difference you will see between specs at low ilvl. That said, in 6.1 if you plan on doing any raiding it will be demo. Either service/servitude for single target or Cataclysm/Synergy for multitarget fights. Learning how to play those two well will help you far more than a dps gain or loss while gearing up (where you'll just do low dmg). Now you could also stand to learn affliction since it appears to be what most locks will be pushed to come 6.2 with a destro offspec. So depending on how long you intend to play figure out which direction suits your goals.