Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

How come everything is suddenly costly or takes (too) long to create?

I have never heard this from Blizzard in the past but lately it aways come down to these reasons when they aren't delivering.

It started somewhere in MoP I belive with the "we could do X or Y, but it would cost a raid tier if we did". It's since then made into a running joke.
    More recently we oftenly get to hear that creating things like mounts, zones, dugeons or whatever takes alot of time and resources and that they can't manage, even though their team is supposedly bigger nowadays.

I don't wat to underestimate that creating things takes time and resources but for a game like WoW that has been running for 10+ years, on a dated engine, with developers that have years of XP with it and a company that has all the resources it can possibly need I find it strange that they make these caims.
    Add to this the continues claim that they are already in full swing working on the next xpac(s) and I really don't understand what they are doing anymore.

Do you think they are just using it as (bas) excuses or is this really all they could do wih their team and resources anno 2015?

the first time i heard them use this "excuse" was in wotlk

although im sure that if they had regular watercooler talks like they do now, it wouldve come out as early as vanilla.

its almost like theyre trying to tell you whats going on and theyre not just taking your money and laughing

nah that couldnt be true

What do you mean "suddenly"? This has always been the case. There is only a limited amount of work that can be done in a certain timeframe, so something has to give.

Time and capable workers are always limited resources.

Deleted
    I would say that it is because we "the players" burn trough everything in a MUCH faster pace.
    I remember from Vanilla that I was farming potions to raid every day for hours on end just to raid the 5 days a week.
    Nature resist potions, fire resist potions + all the gear that I needed.

Now you just jump in, get all the gear you need within a day and start doing whatever you like.

The time it takes to do things these days is a small fraction from what it was 10 years ago and I don't think any company in the world can keep up with how fast we burn trough things.

I can only talk about my personal experience anyway, I burned trough the lvling content of WoD + garrisons, treasures, dungeons and rare hunting withing the first 36 hours as I did not sleep and had a run trough everything.
    That is completly my own fault and nothing Blizzard can do about it.

Besides that they now have to cater to 10 million people ( now 7 ) all with different ways to play the game, they trow in so many different kind of things for every kind of player that alot of people feel like there is not enough things to do. Because they usually focus on the few bits they enjoy.
    It usued to be alot more focused on a few small things and thats why I used to play ALOT more then I did these days.

Anyway, maybe I am wrong.. but this is how it looks to me.

bad excuse to pull the sympathy card

Deleted
    It's because they want to "manage expectations" these days ie. they are cutting their losses and are reluctant to invest more money in what they seem to have decided is a game on its way out.

thats why theyve been using the same excuse 5 years in a row.

clever girls

talking about a problem that will only exist in the far future

Deleted
    brf came out in feb? its may and ppl are already crying their eyes out for new content
    4 months, they cant keep up with that pace, and they shouldnt
    id rather wait for quality content, than rushed out dragon souls

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    I don't think any company in the world can keep up with how fast we burn trough things.

Besides that they now have to cater to 10 million people ( now 7 ) all with different ways to play the game, they trow in so many different kind of things for every kind of player that alot of people feel like there is not enough things to do. Because they usually focus on the few bits they enjoy.
    It usued to be alot more focused on a few small things and thats why I used to play ALOT more then I did these days.

Anyway, maybe I am wrong.. but this is how it looks to me.
    Point 1) We burn through the content so fast because of how poorly they design it. There isn't any challenge left anymore, and no commitment needed. Leveling from 90 - 100 is a joke, in fact I've done it 4 times on a token month and I still have 10 days left of game time in which I'll probably do it one or more time. Dungeons are another thing. They made it so simple to get gear better than dungeon gear, that they are completely unimportant. You can click "Send follower" on missions and get gear higher than any current dungeons. Mythic dungeons and timewalker in 6.2 are going to be offering gear much lower than even current LFR gear, so they might be run for the novelty, but they won't keep people playing. Likewise, there's absolutely no reason to go out in the world. There's nothing to explore or gain by doing so.

So point 2) Sure, they're making content for 7 million people, but that's no excuse at all. They were, at their height, a game company with 12.5 million subscribers, and there was plenty to do for everyone. The content wasn't easy, and we got a ton of it compared to the pathetic offerings they've given us for the past three expansions. Additionally, they're really only offering one path to the best gear now, and that's raiding. You can choose one or four different avenues to raid, but that's all you're getting is raids. Want more dungeons? Too bad. We'll give you the same dungeons you currently have with some extra HP thrown on the mobs, but that's all you're getting. Don't expect rewards from there, because they're going to be lower than anything you can currently get. Want more PVP? Too bad. You're not getting that at all, in fact we couldn't be bothered to add in anything besides a failed zone for you this expansion. Want some world content? Well, I guess we can give you a little bit of it, but don't expect much. Mostly, we're going to be giving you another follower table, but this time with boats!

The reason things now "Cost too much" or "Take too long to create" is simple, they don't give a fuck. They are out for the money at this point and know that what they're currently offering is going to make them just as much money as they had anticipated. They basically threw up a big middle finger to all of their customers with this last quarterly report and admitted that, "We didn't lose that much money because we offset our expected losses with price increases and in game transactions to make up for said losses." They flat out admitted they're going to gouge the customers they have because they can and they can't be bothered to care if we even know anymore.

They're going to deliver sub par content until they see an actual decrease in finances, it's as simple as that. They used to be able to churn out extremely more content, with a smaller budget, and a much smaller team. There is simply no excuse besides greed that we're seeing such poor performance from them.

Came to this thread expecting to see histrionics. Was not disappointed.

I've given up crafting. I'm not sure how the other profs are doing with their 640 crafts but as engineer it sucks. Craft a gun with bad stats, doesn't sell. Craft a helm, spend spring parts upgrading to 655 doesn't sell. Basically the only hope you have is to catch a rich alt scanning the AH in hope of getting the ilvl to enter LFR.

I'm sitting on at least 1.5k gearspring parts. For me, it's not the case that it's now costly or even time consuming. It's just pointless, which is a much worse situation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats what happens when you make content to easy.

Deleted
    Because Blizzard is in full Lazy mode, what with working at 4 fucking games at the same time. Something has got to give.

Lol I totally misunderstood the OPs post. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    The reason things now "Cost too much" or "Take too long to create" is simple, they don't give a fuck. They are out for the money at this point and know that what they're currently offering is going to make them just as much money as they had anticipated. They basically threw up a big middle finger to all of their customers with this last quarterly report and admitted that, "We didn't lose that much money because we offset our expected losses with price increases and in game transactions to make up for said losses." They flat out admitted they're going to gouge the customers they have because they can and they can't be bothered to care if we even know anymore.

They're going to deliver sub par content until they see an actual decrease in finances, it's as simple as that. They used to be able to churn out extremely more content, with a smaller budget, and a much smaller team. There is simply no excuse besides greed that we're seeing such poor performance from them.
    So many open discussions on this forum can be simply summed up with this.

They developed vanilla, and all the content in it, when the game was generating zero income. They were hopeful that if they could get a million subscribers they would have a huge hit. Now, with income over a billion dollars a year, they are struggling to generate content and are coming up with new ways to generate income to cover subscriber losses. Even so, the profit generated by the game is probably $800m a year or more.

When they needed to get it built to generate income, they worked hard and got it done. Now they are rolling in cash, and with 10 years experience with the game behind them, it is suddenly too hard. As the great Marvin Hagler once said: "It's real hard to get up at 5am & run 5 miles when you're in a 4 post bed wearing silk pyjamas".
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    a. We get much more communication nowadays than we had just about ever, so naturally you hear it more.

b. It was always the case, you just get to hear it more due to a.

But of course, you are not really interested in any reason or explanation, you just look to bite Blizzard, because it's what all the cool kids do nowadays.

But if you are genuinely curious, they ARE stretched thin. The are into designing new expansion full swing now and all the many features they are going to implement and implemented in WoD are a massive work not to be underestimated regardless whether you like the feature or not.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2015-05-21 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It started somewhere in MoP I belive with the "we could do X or Y, but it would cost a raid tier if we did". It's since then made into a running joke.
    I just want to point out here that this original statement was a joke in the first place; it was never actually used as a real excuse. Sensationalists extrapolated it in to a real excuse before the running joke got continued after.

Can't say much else, a lot in this thread is true and I have nothing else to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Thats what happens when you make content to easy.
    Pretty much, outside raids there is nothing time consuming which can help progress your character as the philosophy these days is that the best loot can only come from heroic / mythic and no other means should allow you to get gear of this il bar waiting 2 weeks and sending followers off on missions.

ITT people who think they know exactly how a company works based on zero factual information to how the company actually works.