Absorb vs. Healing Mechanics

Can anyone explain the exact mechanics how absorbs and healing are applied in parallel?

Let's say, for simplicity, a player with 100k max health is at 50k health and is taking damage. A disc priest applies a shield that absorbs 10k damage, and I cast a direct heal that heals for 10k health. Furthermore, let's assume the shield can absorb all currently incoming damage.

Will my heal be applied in parallel to the shield, ie. healing the player to 60k, while the shield absorbs the incoming damage, or will my heal go into overhealing while the shield is applied?

Thanks.

Both will occur. The shield will absorb the next 10k dmg the target takes, while the heal will heal them for 10k.

Each time a heal or a damage package arrives, it is fully resolved at the time of arrival. There's no "in parallel", even if timing is very close if you review the log each package happens in order.

If you take damage and have an absorb shield, damage comes off the absorb shield first, then your current health if you take more damage than the shield had.

If you receive healing and are not at full health, your current health goes up, to a maximum of your full health depending on how much you were healed for. Currently having an Absorb Shield makes no difference to healing.

In your example, your heal will heal the player to 60K, and the Absorb Shield will be unaffected (be currently at 10K minus any damage it has taken)

Deleted
    Your former description was correct.

Regardless of shielding, the player is still at 50k health and that means he has 50k left to heal up.

Shields in this case are classed as extra HP, or just additive effective health.

absorbs and healing is not very much related in terms of mechanics...

absorbs keeps a certain amount of damage from hitting the player in the first place, while healing does not interact with the incoming damage, only the player's health pool.

Your scenario has left the time of damage and absorb a bit to interpretation so I will explain both possible cases.

case 1: Absorb hits the player before the damage is incoming
    the absorb will get reduced by whatever amount the damage is. In case the damage is higher than the absorb the absorb will be removed and the change in health pool will be damage pre-absorb minus the absorb. Quite obvious....

case 2: damage hits first and then gains an absorb shield.

the damage will do whatever damage it's supposed to do and the full absorb shield will stay on the target until any additional damage is incoming.

This was somewhat meaningful when mana was more important, yet quite insignificant, but placing an absorb after the damage is taken allowing people to use cheap heals to heal up the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Ygrayne View Post
    Will my heal be applied in parallel to the shield, ie. healing the player to 60k, while the shield absorbs the incoming damage, or will my heal go into overhealing while the shield is applied?

Thanks.
    I'm having some trouble understanding why you would even think the latter could happen.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, heals are completely unaffected by absorbs assuming target is not at full hp. (In which case any heals would be overhealing, regardless of any absorbs present or not)
    Last edited by Hypasonic; 2015-05-28 at 03:39 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    The only two exceptions are on fight with Tortos HM ( Throne of Thunder ) and Marlkorok ( Siege of Orgimmar ) where heals don't heal the target but increase a shied instead. This basically means that when a player's HPs go down they can't go up.
    But these are specific fight mechanics from ancient encounters and you do not need to understand how they works exactly for now nor to remember they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyo View Post
    The only two exceptions are on fight with Tortos HM ( Throne of Thunder ) and Marlkorok ( Siege of Orgimmar ) where heals don't heal the target but increase a shied instead. This basically means that when a player's HPs go down they can't go up.
    But these are specific fight mechanics from ancient encounters and you do not need to understand how they works exactly for now nor to remember they exist.
    Well they aren't even exceptions, well can't really speak for tortos, only did him in some alt runs.
    But the same rule applies, only difference is that you have 2 health pools, but you can't heal your secondary health pool.

7+ Year Old Account
    dat necro doe