Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Just a quick note about the game: The beginning is horrible, the combat is slow. Most classes only get good at around level 30 (when they unlock their job).

Added how to unlock flying on your Company Chocobo and other ARR mounts.

I saw someone flying on their Company Chocobo. How do I get mine to fly?
    At level 52 the quest "I Believe I Can Fly" (Foundation 7, 11) will become available. Talk to the NPC and complete the short quest chain and your Company Chocobo along with certain other ground mounts (example: Fat Chocobo) will now be able to fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brytallica View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I will probably try the trial later this week and start running around to figure out if I like the gameplay.
    A tip do NOT do every quest in sight alot are tutorials for people new to mmos stick to maim story(fiery quest icon) and class quests

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    A tip do NOT do every quest in sight alot are tutorials for people new to mmos stick to maim story(fiery quest icon) and class quests
    I noticed that but I enjoy doing them anyways. I've bought the game and so far enjoying the leveling process. I am up to level 15 PUG and think I will try a couple other ones in Ul'dah.

I like that when you choose to do professions, you are actually only able to be that and not fight as well. It was interesting the first time I went out to mine something only to learn that I cannot fight anything while mining.

Added a table and description of player icons and added the new PvP Frontline zone under the new Heavensward features.

What do the symbols next to player names mean?​

Not Found
    Disconnecting

Sharing Duty
    Similar Duty
    Viewing Cutscene
    Busy

PvP/ In Duty

Away from Keyboard

Looking for Repairs
    Looking to Repair
    Looking to Meld Materia
    Looking for Party/Recruiting Party Members

Waiting for Duty Finder

Alliance Leader

Alliance Party Leader
    Alliance Party Member
    Party Leader
    Party Member
    Gardening
    Waiting for Friend List/Linkshell/Free Company Approval

New Player
    Trial Player
    Looking for Party
    Yoshida's personal icon
    Game Master
    Using a Chocobo Porter

Another World (in a Duty/Dungeon/Trial)
    Playing Triple Triad

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the info. I love this game. Is this available for EU servers?

Quote Originally Posted by mathewhayden View Post
    Thanks for the info. I love this game. Is this available for EU servers?
    Where are the servers hosted?
    There are two hosting locations. One in Japan and one in Canada. NA&EU servers are both hosted in Canada. You are not restricted to which you wish to play on. EU based servers will open around patch 3.1's launch and Chaos (the EU database in Canada) will be moved to the new EU hosting location.

I wish FF was more open friendly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadiseFalls View Post
    I wish FF was more open friendly
    Open? Do you mean lgbt? Cause I was in a guild for that very group

Removed OS X from available platforms. Added mid-October as period when EU based servers come online.

3.0 section removed. 3.1 section added. Server A&Q changed to reflect EU based servers are now online.

3.1 section removed. 3.2 section added. Returned OS X to available platforms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you going to add in training halls/mentor system? Kinda good info for new players

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Are you going to add in training halls/mentor system? Kinda good info for new players
    Ah yes. I had forgotten. Thank you.

I've needed the following to the System & Features section:

Hall of the Novice is a new series of challenges designed to prepare new adventurers for the rigors of party combat.
    Mentor System is a way to provide more experienced players a means to offer advice and guidance to newer players.
    and the following to the Q&A section:

I want to practice my class before jumping into dungeons. Is there a place to do this?
    Yes there is! The Hall of the Novice unlocks at level 15 and allows you can undertake several training exercises to help familiarize you on the role of your current class.
    I'm kind of a big shot in FFXIV. How can I help newbies?
    The Mentor System will allow players who qualify access to a special chat channel and Duty Roulette designed to offer new players help and advice.
    What are the requirements to become a Mentor?
    The Achievement Requirements for Disciples of War and Magic:
    Complete at least one level 60 job quest as a tank, healer, and DPS.
    Complete 1,000 dungeons, raids, or trials.
    Receive 300 player commendations.

The Achievement Requirements for Disciples of the Hand and Land:
    Reach level 60 with at least one Disciple of the Hand and Land.
    Synthesize 100 collectables.
    Gather or catch 300 collectables.

Deleted
    Hi a question before I download/install another monster "trial" to my little SSD...
    I really hate the questsystem of late WoW and MMORPGs like rift/aion etc. - a system where you are in one area and this area is split in various others each of them having an own "questhub" with dozens of 4-10minute quests that really do streamline the entire leveling experience.
    Does FF14 do the same or is it more like very few NPCs/campaign quests send you out in the world to do something that lasts longer and makes the whole thing a lot bigger (and on the way to do this you might find x or y you originally did not go there for)?

Really like how FF franchise worked in single player games (as well as most jrpgs and old western rpgs) in that regard.

Quests do indeed work the way you describe (more or less).

However, side quests in FF are a second thought. You don't need them to level your first class, and they are one of the slower ways to level each subsequent class. The are good for breaking up the monotony of the "faster" (grindy) ways to level, or when you just need a little more xp to move on.

I've only recently started doing them, and only because the icons on the minimap are getting in the way. I always recommend to new people that they ignore quests on their first class, to allow themselves another alternative way to do a later class. There are a couple "required" sub quests, but you will come upon them as you need them. For instance when you ask your FC "How do you guys dye your gear", someone will say "Sidequest in [I forget where]".

However, the main story quests, which you DO need to do, are still spread all over the place, but those are enjoyable once you get into the meat of the story.

So... well... hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gintoki View Post
    Hi a question before I download/install another monster "trial" to my little SSD...
    I really hate the questsystem of late WoW and MMORPGs like rift/aion etc. - a system where you are in one area and this area is split in various others each of them having an own "questhub" with dozens of 4-10minute quests that really do streamline the entire leveling experience.
    Does FF14 do the same or is it more like very few NPCs/campaign quests send you out in the world to do something that lasts longer and makes the whole thing a lot bigger (and on the way to do this you might find x or y you originally did not go there for)?

Really like how FF franchise worked in single player games (as well as most jrpgs and old western rpgs) in that regard.
    It was originally a hub system like WoW's with a central questline you followed, but with Heavensward's release the experience given by the Main Story Questline was doubled. Now instead of arriving at a hub and doing the side quests to keep pace with the level requirements of the Main Story Questline. You can stay on that questline and follow the main narrative of the game straight to level cap uninterrupted. These quests vary in length. I'd say the worst fetch quests on the Main Story Questline are just before level 30.

I think if you enjoyed the stories of the single player Final Fantasy games then the FFXIV's story will keep you engaged.

• Patch section updated to 3.3.
    • Changes to FAQ: Trial accounts max level raised from 20 to 35. Max trial gil raised from 100,000 to 300,000.
    • I also reverted the headed image to the 3.0 expansion artwork since 3.3 artwork hasn't been released yet. I also replaced the 3.2 artwork heading the patch section with the Patch 3.3 patch note banner. Not that anyone cares about that.

Updated for 3.5.