Spoiler: 

The Armoury System

Classes and Jobs

Features & Systems

Guides

Patch 3.5 Information

FAQ

The Armoury System

The Armoury System is what separates FFXIV the most from other MMOs. Where the choice of class you decide to play at the starting screen is a permanent decision for that character in other MMOs. In FFXIV your character can freely switch between classes by equipping different types of weapons. You can level up every class to maximum level, and a select amount of skills you earn as you level up a class can be used on other classes ("cross-class skills").

When a combat class reaches level 30, it gains access to soul crystals, which turn your class into a job; they remove access to most cross-class skills, but in return grant five job-exclusive skills that are well-suited to group content. Your job level is tied to the associated class's level; for example, Warrior is the job associated with Marauder, so if your Marauder level is 37, your Warrior level is also 37.

The newly-added additional jobs become available at a certain point in the main story and start at level 30 once unlocked.

The Armoury Bonus grants a 100% EXP bonus from levels 1-50 and 50% EXP bonus from levels 51-60 for classes lower in level than your highest-level class. This makes up for the relative lack of quests for classes after your first.

Classes and Jobs

Disciplines of War

Gladiators (GLA) use powerful sword and shield techniques to keep the attention of their enemies and survive blows that would devastate lesser beings. Gladiators act as tanks and disruptors, blinding, stunning, and disabling enemies while holding their attention with sword combos. Gladiators start in Ul'dah.

Marauders (MRD) use axes to cleave a path through the enemy's front line and protect the more fragile members of the party. Marauders tank primarily by smashing their foes' faces in and bathing in their blood. By doing so, they restore their own HP. Instead of preventing a large amount of damage like gladiators, marauders react to incoming damage by refilling their large HP pools via weapon skills and abilities. Marauders start in Limsa Lominsa.

Lancers (LNC) use all manner of two-handed pole arms to deal critical blows to their enemies. Lancers is a straightforward damage class, sacrificing defense for attack power to deal heavy damage, and fighting while moving around the target in order to gain access to combo bonuses. Lancers start in Gridania.

Pugilists (PGL) don't use traditional combos, but utilize stance changes that give them flexibility in their combo chains. Pugilists abilities grant them increasing amounts of Greased Lightning, a buff that is the result of some of their weapon skills. Greased Lightning increases attack speed and damage while lowering the global cooldown, allowing Pugilists to unleash attacks faster than most classes. Pugilists start in Ul'dah.

Archers (ARC) fire off arrows from afar, hindering their enemies and dealing damage from a safe distance. Archers have access to debuffing Weapon Skills and utility skills, like a group movement speed increase and a backstepping attack. Archers do not use melee-class combos, and instead rely on procs that enhance their shots. Archers start in Gridania.

Rogues (ROG) use acrobatics, misdirection and potent poisons on their dual blades to efficiently take down enemies, as well as force them to cough up extra loot. Rogue can be unlocked in Limsa Lominsa. (Players must first complete the level 10 class quest for one of the initial battle classes to unlock Rogue.)

Disciplines of Magic

Conjurers (CNJ) invoke elemental spirits of wind, stone and water to damage their enemies and protect their allies. Wind and earth are used mainly for offense, while the water element is used for defensive maneuvers and healing. As a primary healer they are obviously a welcome addition to any party, but a great Conjurer knows how to find the perfect balance of damage and healing. Conjurers begin in Gridania.

Arcanists (ACN) summon their pet Carbuncle to aid them in combat. They boast a versatile toolkit, with DoTs, debuffs, and supporting spells. Arcanist is an extremely versatile class, and depending on your party makeup they can fulfill a number of roles. Arcanist is currently also the only class with two jobs. Arcanists start in Limsa Lominsa.

Thaumaturges (THM) deal in the deadly elements of fire, ice and lightning to destroy their enemies from afar. To maximize their output, they need to balance their Astral Fire (increased damage and MP cost of spells) with Umbral Ice (increased MP regen, decreased damage). Thaumaturges also have great crowd control with the ability to inflict AoE sleep. Thaumaturges begin in Ul'dah.

Jobs

Jobs give classes new abilities that enhance their specialization at the cost of losing some cross-class abilities.

Paladin (PLD) requires Gladiator 30 and Conjurer 15. Paladin gets abilities that enhance its damage mitigation and party support abilities.
    Warrior (WAR) requires Marauder 30 and Gladiator 15. Warriors get new ways to mitigate incoming damage, heal themselves and counter incoming attacks.

Dragoon (DRG) requires Lancer 30 and Marauder 15. Dragoon receives additional jumps with various effects.
    Monk (MNK) requires Pugilist 30 and Lancer 15. Monk receives new combo opportunities and ways to manage their Greased Lightning.
    Bard (BRD) requires Archer 30 and Pugilist 15. Bard receives songs that can be played to support the party's effectiveness.
    Ninja (NIN) requires Rogue 30 and Pugilist 15. Ninja can now use mudra, combinations of which produce a variety of magical effects.

Black Mage (BLM) requires Thaumaturge 30 and Archer 15. Black Mage recieves potent spells and abilities that increase its damage output.
    Summoner (SMN) requires Arcanist 30 and Thaumaturge 15. Summoner can now summon aspects of the primals, as well as channel the power of the dragon Bahamut.

White Mage (WHM) requires Conjurer 30 and Arcanist 15. White Mages get more powerful heals, including heals over time.
    Scholar (SCH) requires Arcanist 30 and Conjurer 15. Scholar gets heals that apply an additional barrier effect.

Heavensward Jobs

All of the additional jobs are only accessible once reaching Ishgard in the main story.

Dark Knight (DRK) wields a greatsword and harnesses black magic to strike down foes and protect their allies. They must balance their MP consumption in order to maximize their effectiveness.

Machinist (MCH) uses rifles and turrets to deal damage. They can load special ammunition and affix enhancing attachments to change the effects of their attacks, and their turrets can either be set to attack enemies or support allies within their range.

Astrologian (AST) uses a "star globe" and a deck of tarot cards to heal allies. Cards drawn from the deck are used to enhance the party. Depending on their stance, they can either add healing over time or barriers to their basic heals.

Disciplines of the Land

The Disciplines of the Land are the gathering classes:

• Botanists (BTN) gather wood, fiber and plants.
    • Miners (MIN) gather rock, ore and raw gems.
    • Fishers (FSH) gather sea creatures.

Disciplines of the Hand

The Disciplines of the Hand are the crafters of Eorzea:

• Alchemists (ALC), makers of various potions, ethers and other consumables, as well as Arcanist and Conjuror weapons
    • Armorers (ARM), makers of heavy metal armor
    • Blacksmiths (BSM), makers of metal weapons and tools
    • Carpenters (CRP), makers of all things wooden
    • Culinarians (CUL), makers of food and drink that provide long-lasting buffs
    • Goldsmiths (GSM), makers of fine jewelery from precious gems and rare metals, including Thaumaturge weapons
    • Leatherworkers (LTW), who turn beast hides and sinews into medium armor
    • Weavers (WVR), makers of fabric, thread and light armor

Features & Systems

• FATEs are a Public Quest system: earn EXP, gil and seals for your Grand Company by participating in open events that appear all over the world.
    • Guildleves are repeatable quests available in the main cities and at adventuring camps, useful for supplementing the EXP you earn from other sources. You earn guildleve allowances over time and can bank up to 100.
    • The Duty Finder is an automatic party matching system that brings together players from multiple servers to complete dungeons and duties.
    • Daily Roulettes give you big bonuses for participating in a randomly-chosen duty.
    • Treasure Maps are gathered by Disciples of the Land, and point the way towards caches of rare crafting materials guarded by powerful monsters.
    • The Hunt sends you out to scout for notorious monsters, the most powerful of which require multiple cooperating alliances to take down.
    • Chocobo companions help you out with overworld combat, and can be customized both visually and with a talent tree.
    • Frontlines is city vs. city vs. city territory control PVP. The Wolves' Den is 4v4 arena PVP.
    • The Feast is a 4v4 or 8v8 PVP mode where the main objective is to steal the enemy team's medals.
    • Housing is available for Free Companies (guilds) and individuals (both rooms inside your Free Company's house, and individual player houses).
    • Glamour prisms and dyeing let you customize your gear to appear however you wish.
    • Alexander is a series of 8-man endgame raids available in two difficulty levels: Normal and Savage.
    • Challenge and Hunting Logs grant bonuses for completing selected forms of content
    • Sightseeing Logs Enjoy the beauty of Eorzea by seeing the world at specific places, times and weather conditions
    • The Manderville Golden Saucer, featuring Triple Triad and chocobo racing, as well as other minigames and attractions
    • Hall of the Novice is a new series of challenges designed to prepare new adventurers for the rigors of party combat.
    • Mentor System is a way to provide more experienced players a means to offer advice and guidance to newer players.
    • Palace of the Dead is a 200 floor rogue-like dungeon that can be fought through solo or a group up to four.

FAQ
    What can I play on?
    FFXIV is available on PC, Mac OS X, PS3, PS4. Also available on Steam.

How well will this run on my PC?
    You can find out by downloading and running the official benchmark.

I'd like to give this a try. Is there a trial?
    Yes. Download it here for PC. Here for PS4. Here for PS3. See below for restrictions.

What are the restrictions for the trial version?

• The trial is only open to new players who have not previously played the trial, participated in any beta test or already purchased the game.
    • You may create one character per server on up to 8 servers.
    • The trial lasts 14 days. Trial characters are deleted after 90 days of inactivity
    • The level cap is Lv.35 on all classes.
    • You can carry up to 300,000 gil, and can't use the Market Boards, mail, or trade with other players.
    • You can't use zone-wide chat or send private messages to other players.
    • You can join existing linkshells (chat channels), but not Free Companies (guilds).
    • You cannot invite other players to parties, but can use the Duty Finder (automatic party matching).
    • You can't log into the community sites like The Lodestone or the official forums.
    • All these restrictions are removed if you subscribe.

I'm coming back after X amount of time. What have I missed?
    You can bring yourself up to speed with the official patch notes here.

Where can I buy FFXIV?
    The game is available in boxed discs from your local retailers and in digital form from Steam, Amazon, GreenManGaming, GameStop, Square-Enix Store and others, and on the PS3/PS4 PlayStation Store. Prices will vary by retailer and region.

This game's pretty good. Does it have a Recruit a Friend feature so I can rope my pals into playing with me?
    It does indeed. Here you go.

So I hear there's a sub fee.
    Correct. FFXIV is a subscription game. When you purchase the game you receive one free month. The service fees for more playtime are:

• Entry Service (1 character per server, 8 servers max)

• 30 days: $12.99 / £7.69 / 10.99 € / ¥1,344 per month

• Standard Service (8 characters per server, 8 servers max)

• 30 days: $14.99 / £8.99 / 12.99 € / ¥1,554 per month
    • 90 days: $13.99 / £8.39 / 11.99 € / ¥1,449 per month
    • 180 days: $12.99 / £7.69 / 10.99 € per month (180 days not available in Japan)

• Legacy Campaign Service (8 characters per server, 8 servers max, for players who subscribed for 3 months in FFXIV 1.0)

• 30 days: $9.99 / £6.89 / 9.99 € per month
    • 90 days: $8.99 per month
    • 180 days: $7.99 per month

Do PC, PS3, and PS4 all play on the same servers?
    Yes.

Where are the servers hosted?
    There are three hosting locations. One in Japan, one in Canada, and one in Germany for Japanese, North American, and European realms respectively. You are not restricted to which you wish to play on based on your region.

Can I play across different platforms with one copy of the game?
    No. If you wish to play both on PC and PS4, you need to buy keys for both platforms. However, once you do, your character can be played on both. You will also receive a free month for every additional platform you activate.

I bought FFXIV from X, but now want to add it to my Steam account.
    Sorry, but that's not possible. The SE and Steam FFXIV accounts are separate.

I purchased FFXIV on Steam. Can I buy Heavensward from somewhere else?
    No. Steam FFXIV accounts can only be upgraded by Steam Heavensward keys.

I am adding a key to my account. Do I add a platform, or add a service account?
    Add a platform. Adding a service account will create a separate second account.

I messed up and added another service account instead of a platform. Help me?
    Fill this form out.

I can't find the PC client to download...
    It's right here. You will need an active account to update it.

Where can I get an authenticator?
    You can buy a physical authenticator from SE for $11, or you can install a software authenticator on your phone or tablet (available for iOS and Android). By adding an authenticator to your account, you will get to teleport to one location of your choice for free. Get one.

My friends are all on X server, but character creation is closed?
    SE disables character creation during times of high activity on the high pop realms. The times to try to create a character on a high pop server will be in the morning or mid-week. Server availability is updated at the following times: 4:00 a.m./ 8:00 a.m./ 1:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m./ 11:00 p.m. (PDT).

Does the race/nameday/guardian I pick during character creation important in anyway?
    No. These choices are purely cosmetic.

How do I choose what city I start in?
    Your choice of starting class determines what city you start in.

Archers, Lancers, and Conjurers start in Gridania.

Thaumaturges, Pugilists, and Gladiators start in Ul’dah.

Arcanists and Marauders start in Limsa Lominsa.

How many classes can I level up?
    All of them. There is no restrict ionon how many classes you can level.

How do I unlock a new class?
    Talk to the receptionist at the guild whose class you want to unlock. The guildmaster will hand you a weapon; equipping it will unlock the class.

The receptionist wouldn't give me a quest.
    Complete your first class's Lv.10 quest first.

The class I want to unlock doesn't have a guild in my city.
    Complete the Lv.15 story quest for your airship pass, then travel to that city.

Do I need to return to my class/job trainer after unlocking the class/job?
    Yes. You really should. Your class and job trainers have class and job quests that unlock every 5 levels. You'll get 2 additional abilities from your class trainer and 4 from your job trainer, plus better weapons and armor, so don't forget to return to them as you level!

Which quests should I be doing?
    The most important quests to do are the Main Scenario quests (the ones marked with a meteor icon), since feature unlocks are tied to your main scenario progress.

What do the stats do?
    Hover over the stat names in your Character window for information about what they modify.

Where should I spend my points?
    Points are allocated per class. Every class gets 30 points to spend at level 50. Generally they go like this:

GLA, MRD: Vitality
    LNC, PGL: Strength
    ARC: Dexterity
    CNJ: Mind
    THM: Intelligence
    ACN: Mind (SCH focus) or Intelligence (SMN focus)
    ROG: Dexterity

I want to practice my class before jumping into dungeons. Is there a place to do this?
    Yes there is! The Hall of the Novice unlocks at level 15 and allows you can undertake several training exercises to help familiarize you on the role of your current class.

I'm kind of a big shot in FFXIV. How can I help newbies?
    The Mentor System will allow players who qualify access to a special chat channel and Duty Roulette designed to offer new players help and advice.

What are the requirements to become a Mentor?
    The Achievement Requirements for Disciples of War and Magic:
    • Complete at least one level 60 job quest as a tank, healer, and DPS.
    • Complete 1,000 dungeons, raids, or trials.
    • Receive 300 player commendations.

The Achievement Requirements for Disciples of the Hand and Land:
    • Reach level 60 with at least one Disciple of the Hand and Land.
    • Synthesize 100 collectables.
    • Gather or catch 300 collectables.

What do the symbols next to player names mean?​

Not Found
    Disconnecting

Sharing Duty
    Similar Duty
    Viewing Cutscene
    Busy

PvP/ In Duty

Away from Keyboard

Looking for Repairs
    Looking to Repair
    Looking to Meld Materia
    Looking for Party/Recruiting Party Members

Waiting for Duty Finder

Alliance Leader

Alliance Party Leader
    Alliance Party Member
    Party Leader
    Party Member
    Gardening
    Waiting for Friend List/Linkshell/Free Company Approval

New Player
    Trial Player
    Looking for Party
    Yoshida's personal icon
    Game Master
    Using a Chocobo Porter

Another World (in a Duty/Dungeon/Trial)
    Playing Triple Triad

Where is the "flank"?

How can I track how much threat I have?
    For the current target:

For all enemies you are fighting:

What does it mean when an item is spiritbond?
    Spiritbond is a measure of how much EXP has been earned while the gear is equipped. Once you've maxed out the spiritbond, the item can be converted into materia (if the item has the tag "Convertible").

How do I make materia out of an item?
    The main scenario quest gives you access to materia conversion around Lv.20. Once you've unlocked conversion, right-click a piece of convertible gear with full spiritbond and select Convert.

Why can't I meld materia onto an item?
    You have to have the corresponding Discipline of Hand class to meld materia; for example, to meld materia to a Lv.25 sword, you would need Blacksmith 25. You can request a meld from someone else by right-clicking them and choosing "Request Meld", and they will attach the materia to your item without the ingredients leaving your inventory.

How do I "initiate a leve"?
    Open your quest journal, select the guildleve from the list, then click the "Initiate" button. Remember to be close to the marked area on the map that leve will be activated at.

I'm trying to do this FATE, but I can't attack anything.
    You're over-leveled for the FATE. Click the LEVEL SYNC button in the quest tracker to sync down to its level.

When can I start doing dungeons?
    The first dungeon is Sastasha, available at level 15 and unlocked by doing the main scenario quests.

When do I get a mount?
    Once you can join a city's Grand Company, which happens around Lv.20 in the main scenario quest, you can spend 2,000 Company Seals to purchase a chocobo from your GC's quartermaster.

I see people have their mounts fighting next to them. How?
    Complete the Lv.30 quest "My Feisty Little Chocobo" from Camp Tranquil, Central Shroud.

Where do I buy the Gysahl Greens to summon my mount for battle?
    The vendor in Camp Tranquil, Maisenta (New Gridania 11, 11), Bango Zango (Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks 9, 11), and Roarich (Ul'dah, Steps of Nald 10, 9).

I saw someone flying on their Company Chocobo. How do I get mine to fly?
    At level 52 the quest "I Believe I Can Fly" (Foundation 7, 11) will become available. Talk to the NPC and complete the short quest chain and your Company Chocobo along with certain other ground mounts (example: Fat Chocobo) will now be able to fly.

I want to dye my armor like the cool kids.
    On a Lv.15 or higher class, bring a bottle of orange juice to Vesper Bay in Western Thanalan. Buy the orange juice from the Potwatch in Ul'dah: Steps of Thal.

I want to rock my Free Company's seal on my armor.
    Go to the OIC Officer-of-Arms in the Grand Company associated with your FC. (For PBC, this is Ul'dah. For DGKK, Limsa Lominsa. Check the Free Company window for other FCs.)

How do I get additional storage space? When can I list things on the market boards?
    Complete the Lv.17 story quest. Once you've completed the first three story dungeons, you'll be given access to retainers. Go back to any city's shopping district and look for a "two heads" icon for the retainer desk, where you can unlock, name and customize the appearance of your retainers.

The guide section here is out of date. Can you direct me to some?

My pain, my longing. YOU SHALL HAVE IT ALL!

What is Patch 3.5's release date?
    Part 1 release January 17th.
    Part 2 will release in March.

I just hit level 50. Can I jump straight into Heavenward's content?
    No. First you must complete the Main Scenario Quests up to "Causes and Costs".

What's coming in Patch 3.5?
    Read SE's official patch page or click the banner above for the preliminary patch notes (warning: spoilers)

I asked you though...
    Deep breath

The continuation of the Main Story Scenario.

New Chronicles of a New Era quests

New post Main Story Side Quests

Even more Inspector Hildibrand's quests!

New Beast Tribe Quests

The next stage of Anima Weapons

The Party Finder is now cross-world

To many QoL changes to list

A New Raid.
    • Dun Scaith

Two New Dungeons.
    • Baelsar's Wall
    • Sohm Al (Hard)

A New Trial.
    • Containment Bay Z1T9 (normal & extreme modes)
    Last edited by Aberrict; 2017-01-17 at 08:34 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cool!

...Source? (I never know where people get this info -_-) Is this in their official website? Do they publish everything there or do they use an 3rd party site?

Nice job there.

Just a few suggestions: add the benchmark thing there and...

Is there something like a parser?
    Yes but it's against the rules but Square Enix doesn't enforce it. You'll only be banned if you talk about it and somebody reports you.

Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    Cool!

...Source? (I never know where people get this info -_-) Is this in their official website? Do they publish everything there or do they use an 3rd party site?
    Some of it's info from their site. Some from other FAQs. I thought we could use our own so I picked the questions and answers I felt were best.

I'll add more for Heavensward later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, thanks for this. I've dabbled in this game before, but never got the hang of it. This answered a LOT of the questions I had but never asked lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Nice job there.

Yes but it's against the rules but Square Enix doesn't enforce it. You'll only be banned if you talk about it and somebody reports you.
    What's a parser?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Wow, thanks for this. I've dabbled in this game before, but never got the hang of it. This answered a LOT of the questions I had but never asked lol.

- - - Updated - - -

What's a parser?
    An addon like recount to check how much dps/healing each party member is doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for this.

I suggest a sticky and keep adding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Thanks for this.

I suggest a sticky and keep adding.
    That I am doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    Cool!

Everything is accurate as far as I know, it's a bit all over the place in terms of source.
    http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki

Updated: Added Benchmark link and some general Heavensward's info.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Nice job there.

There are, yes. I'm hemming and hawing over including it in the FAQ since it is a breach of SE's ToS. I know to they let it slide if you keep it to yourself and don't mention it or spam your numbers in pug to show your awesomeness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow that's... impressive.... one expansion has 3 new classes, new raid, new dungeons, new primals, new zones, level cap increase AND a new race? Holy shit, I think I'm going back to Final Fantasy...

Thank you very much for all this info. I'm looking for a new frontier. After 10 years of WoW I feel I need a change of scene, and perhaps back to Final Fantasy, where I originally came from.

So about those EU servers. Is your account limited to the region you created the account in? Or can I now create a NA account (while in the EU) and transfer/change to EU servers when they launch?
    If not I'm not sure I want to start on a NA server just to have to start over when EU servers are launched. Or did I misunderstand how regions/server work?
    Sorry for the newb questions.
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

Updated: Clarified EU server situation. Added links to guides. Added HW's story requirements. Added Video of New Zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcraft View Post
    Thank you very much for all this info. I'm looking for a new frontier. After 10 years of WoW I feel I need a change of scene, and perhaps back to Final Fantasy, where I originally came from.

So about those EU servers. Is your account limited to the region you created the account in? Or can I now create a NA account (while in the EU) and transfer/change to EU servers when they launch?
    If not I'm not sure I want to start on a NA server just to have to start over when EU servers are launched. Or did I misunderstand how regions/server work?
    Sorry for the newb questions.
    I clarified this answer in the FAQ, as my previous made it sound like there wasn't a EU data center. There is one. Here's the more in depth answer.

There are two hosting centers containing 6 server groups. 3 groups for Japan that are located in Japan. 2 groups for North America and 1 for EU, both located in Canada. The EU server group (Chaos) with it's associated realms will be moved to the new EU hosting location later this year, so if you make a character on one of the Chaos realms your character will be moved over.

Interview link
    1. FFXIV-JOL: Will you physically migrate Chaos, the data center, to Europe? Yoshida:

We have already chosen the location of the new European data center, we are now preparing local and to purchase the equipment for our infrastructure. Our Japanese and European teams are working together on setting it up and connecting data centers between Japan and Europe. I know there was a lot of European players on Chaos, and at some point, all data will be saved and copied to the new data center. This may take two to three days, but then you can play directly from the new data center.
    Last edited by Aberrict; 2015-06-01 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks for the clarification Aberrict. Time for a trial then.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran into an annoying problem trying to get the trial to work. I've registered an account (after having to use a different email address because it wouldn't send it to my main one wtf), but it's now asking for a one-time password. I then go to the one-time password page on my account page and it says I can't use the smartphone app because I need to purchase a copy of the game first.

Wait, what? I'm trying to start a trial before I decide whether or not to purchase the game.
    What should I do so I can start the trial? (before I give up after spending hours of trying to get this to work...)

They sure make it hard and annoying to start a trial!!

Edit: I finally tried to just leave the one-time password field empty. And it worked. If only there was some hint about it at any step during the process...
    Last edited by Topcraft; 2015-06-02 at 08:59 PM.
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if you want to be the one to edit it or not (OP), but probably somewhere to say that there are class / job quest in every 5 level interval. I don't think that's ever explained in any tutorial...? maybe? or I may be misremembering.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if you want to be the one to edit it or not (OP), but probably somewhere to say that there are class / job quest in every 5 level interval. I don't think that's ever explained in any tutorial...? maybe? or I may be misremembering.

I can edit something dumb in but it'd probably look really out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcraft View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Aberrict. Time for a trial then.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran into an annoying problem trying to get the trial to work. I've registered an account (after having to use a different email address because it wouldn't send it to my main one wtf), but it's now asking for a one-time password. I then go to the one-time password page on my account page and it says I can't use the smartphone app because I need to purchase a copy of the game first.

Wait, what? I'm trying to start a trial before I decide whether or not to purchase the game.
    What should I do so I can start the trial? (before I give up after spending hours of trying to get this to work...)

They sure make it hard and annoying to start a trial!!

Edit: I finally tried to just leave the one-time password field empty. And it worked. If only there was some hint about it at any step during the process...
    I can see how that can be confusing as WoW brings up a separate window for authentication codes after you enter your username and password.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post

I can edit something dumb in but it'd probably look really out of place.
    I'll add that in shortly.

Edit: Added unlocking class/job abilities & the Recruit-a-Friend feature.
    Last edited by Aberrict; 2015-06-02 at 11:55 PM.

I added a Table of Contents so no one has to scroll through this whole thing searching for an answer near the bottom.
    Last edited by Aberrict; 2015-06-07 at 06:33 PM.

Added a lot of general game information ahead of the general release.

I've read through this post and tried searching out a few others but I still cannot find some answers as a prospective new player.

Does it matter what server you play on?

Should I pick a med/low pop server to start to avoid queues while leveling?

I don't know anyone that is currently playing this game. How quickly should I join a guild?

I like that I can change class/jobs on the fly as I am really unsure what role I want to play. How hard is it to re-gear for other jobs?

That is all I can think of for now. I tried to create a forum account on the online forums but it is down for maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brytallica View Post
    Does it matter what server you play on?
    It does for hunts, FATEs and static group for raids.

Should I pick a med/low pop server to start to avoid queues while leveling?
    I play on Behemoth, my server is constantly locked (so I guess it's a high pop server) and I hardly see a queue (for the server) that takes longer than a few seconds.

I don't know anyone that is currently playing this game. How quickly should I join a guild?
    Many people invite people randomly to their Free Company (that's how we call guilds in FFXIV) so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

I like that I can change class/jobs on the fly as I am really unsure what role I want to play. How hard is it to re-gear for other jobs?
    No class shares the weapon with any other class.

Most (if not all) accessories (necklace, ring, bracers and earring) don't can be used by any class, but most of them will be useless for some classes like, Dexterity for Mages, Mind of Melee DPS,... this is true even for max. level accessories, for example, all my accessories can be used by any class.

Most leveling up body pieces (helm, chest piece, gloves, belt, pants and boots) can be shared between them BUT at level cap most of them require a specific class to wear.

Thanks for the reply. I will probably try the trial later this week and start running around to figure out if I like the gameplay.