Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post

Also I am very pleased the Zodiac thing for Fire starters is still going strong.
    Was going to post this. x)

*Checks rabbit*

The map is a little weird though :

The bottom half is really empty and I only see 4 of what seems to be the gym building (Green, Blue, Brown and Purple). Weird.

Prediction for starters :

Grass/Fire calling it right fucking now
    Water/Ghost (or Rock if you want a reverse Triangle with Fire/Rock/Steel)
    Fire/Electric (or Steel if you want a reverse Triangle with Fire/Rock/Steel)

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Now to wait to see how it will interact with prior games. Hopefully in a good way
    Pokémon Bank.

Unless GameFreak fucks it up, and there is no connectivity.

Also : totally going Grass again.
    Wait...those "gyms"...in the trailer the character walks into one and it is a sport stadium...If this shit resolves around football trials or some mini games...
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2019-02-27 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

Unless GameFreak fucks it up
    Not outside the realm of possibility.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeothecat View Post
    So I'm of course going to enjoy Gen 8. Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed by a couple things though. Namely, it's not a 3rd person camera, no overworld pokemon, and seemingly no following Pokemon.

Still excited though, just wish they would have really used the extra horse power they had this time around.
    #TeamGrookey
    Details are still fresh. Remember them pushing BotW back due to discovering what the new hardware could do? I am sure they will find a way to really bring out all the stops. Who knows, following could still be a thing

- - - Updated - - -

Pokémon Bank.

Unless GameFreak fucks it up, and there is no connectivity.
    Yeah. It probably wont be until sometime after the launch. Hopefully not too far. An online service like Pokemon Bank shouldn't be too hard to get working. But I could see it being a one way only deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

And 2nd gen in a row where I go for the fire starter.

Yeah. It probably wont be until sometime after the launch. Hopefully not too far. An online service like Pokemon Bank shouldn't be too hard to get working. But I could see it being a one way only deal.
    PokeBank already is one way deal. Anything dropped gen 7 game cannot be brought back into Gen 6.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    And 2nd gen in a row where I go for the fire starter.
    You sure about that? I'm thinking you're ignoring the true power.

10+ Year Old Account
    PokeBank already is one way deal. Anything dropped gen 7 game cannot be brought back into Gen 6.

- - - Updated - - -

You sure about that? I'm thinking you're ignoring the true power.

[IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/205851496007467009/550392892309372937/D0bfJN-X0AEEgoV.png[/MG]
    This is perfect, not sure what to call this variant, "Squattle"? "Slavle" doesnt quite work out.

As usual, it seems that the female trainer always gets the best design. Cute beret. Not a fan of the male protagonist carrying on brick on his back. Hopefully it can be swapped out early on, and there's a wide array of different clothes. Sun and Moon's customization was too limited. Also hoping that we have access to Kalos AND Aloha clothing.

It seems like they won't pull another gen 5 and limit us to only the new generation of Pokemon for our first playthrough, which is disappointing.

I love the romanesque architecture! Very comfy. The red brick city looks like Heimdallr from Trails of Cold Steel. Only way I could improve the opening shot with presumably the starting village would be the make the snow capped mountains visible in the background, would contrast with the brick red buildings and provide a sense of scale.

Is that the Pokemon World tournament?

Not feeling any of the starters right, except maybe Scorbunny with the tie. Was lowkey hoping that we'd move out of the grass-fire-water traingle. Will have to wait to see their final forms.

So they're continuing the version split gimmick, eh?

ATM, this does not make me inclined to buy a Switch, but they still have 8 more months to tell sell me on the game. I don't want yet another rendition of XY or SM's stale gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Was going to post this. x)

*Checks rabbit*

The map is a little weird though :

The bottom half is really empty and I only see 4 of what seems to be the gym building (Green, Blue, Brown and Purple). Weird.
    I know that its only concept art and not the actual map, but I'm somewhat worried that this will turn out to be yet another linear Pokemon region; it seems like there's not enough room for alternate routes of optional towns with roads the loop around the region, as in Hoenn and Sinnoh. Seems like a straight up trek from bottom to top, with maybe a few dead end side paths.

Unless GameFreak fucks it up
    Given GameFreak's track record...

Quote Originally Posted by Nibúeanor View Post
    Damn, 10M copies sold within a month and a half for a console less than 2 yrs old. I really would want to know how many more copies would have to be sold for the game to not be a fiasco...
    I do not refer to the financial success of Let's Go. I do not care about the financial success of Let's Go. I am not a CEO or a shareholder of their company. I care about a carbon copy of a 20 year old game, with nothing new to offer that went nowhere and is replaced 3 months later, exactly because it has nothing to offer.

That is what a fiasco of a game is: a cash grab, only hitting at nostalgia strings, offering nothing new. It is a shit of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

So they're continuing the version split gimmick, eh?

ATM, this does not make me inclined to buy a Switch, but they still have 8 more months to tell sell me on the game. I don't want yet another rendition of XY or SM's stale gameplay.

Given GameFreak's track record...
    You say a few things that peaks my interest. First, why did you think they would step away from the version split that they have had since the very first game? And what about XY and SM's gameplay seems stale? Again, same as every other version thus far for the most part. I mean, they both had end game battle royals that wasn't present in some of the earlier games.

I am also curious as to what you think GameFreak's "track record" is for messing things up. I haven't had a gripe with a main series pokemon game yet. Sure, there are features I would like here and there, but nothing big that would lead me to believe they would mess up getting pokemon to the new platform.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    That is what a fiasco of a game is: a cash grab, only hitting at nostalgia strings, offering nothing new. It is a shit of a game.
    First world in that fashion. Interactively throwing the pokeball. First time you see the pokemon walking around. It had a fair bit of new things and set the stage for gen 8 to get to the switch.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

First world in that fashion. Interactively throwing the pokeball. First time you see the pokemon walking around. It had a fair bit of new things and set the stage for gen 8 to get to the switch.
    Nothing that transferred to gen 8, apparently. It had literally nothing and how was a stage set for gen 8? By rehashing gen 1? By offering not even an easter egg?

For Gen 8, I am going with the water type for now. That's without the evolutions.

You say a few things that peaks my interest. First, why did you think they would step away from the version split that they have had since the very first game? And what about XY and SM's gameplay seems stale? Again, same as every other version thus far for the most part. I mean, they both had end game battle royals that wasn't present in some of the earlier games.

I am also curious as to what you think GameFreak's "track record" is for messing things up. I haven't had a gripe with a main series pokemon game yet. Sure, there are features I would like here and there, but nothing big that would lead me to believe they would mess up getting pokemon to the new platform.
    I've already talked about Gen 3 and 4's stellar world design, so I will be brief. Starting with Gen 5, GameFreak through the world design principles they had pioneered out the window, leaving progressing through the region a shallow, uninteresting experience. The routes only have one layer that you travel through once. There is no anticipation in returning to reaching a new area on a route you had a traveled through and no payoff in unlocking new areas. The world isn't interconnected and doesn't make me want to travel on foot like I did in Gen 3 and 4; Gen 5 and onward, I just want to open up a menu and fly. The world doesn't feel like a place as in Gens 3 and 4.

Battle wise, the trainer battles after Gen 5 have become so braindead easy, you can beat XY and SM with just a psyduck and water gun. No, the mainline Pokemon games never gave their generic trainers a challenging AI, but GameFreak tuned their stats, their party composition, and their move sets to pose a wide variety of questions that forced the player to bring along a wide variety of answers, rather than just powering through with your Greninja water shuirken. Ace trainers and boss battles were actually challenging. I remember wiping to Lydia and Isaac on route 117 because I wasn't prepared for an endurance run. I remember the Pokemon Rangers on 120 strangling my mons and outspeeding them. I remember having to look at my party composition and stocking up on items before I entered the Hoenn Victory Road, knowing I was in for a long battle of attrition. I remember being baited by Steven and getting eviscerated by spike as I struggled to take down Skarmory. Cynthia. I remember barely making it through the Unova Elite Four. I remember wiping to Hydregion. It was challenging, and it was fun.

I can't recall losing a single battle or feeling any sort of anxiety in XY or SM. You could run from beginning to end with just your starter Pokemon.

As for GameFreak's track record, they keep whipping of fantastic features and content... and then dropping them, never to be seen again. Contests, berry gardening, Pokeblock mixing, Pokeathlon, Pokemon that follow you around in the overworld, the Battle Frontier, the World Tournament mega evolutions (haven't been expanded upon since gen 6)... once it was all removed, there was little left by the game became completely dependent on the Battle Maison. I bet Z moves and alternate region formes will disappear too. The Battle Maison/Tree is watered down of experience of the real deal. The Battle Frontier had a wide variety of different rulesets and the iconic Frontier Brains to spruce up the gameplay, and excellent presentation as a themepark. BW2 had the best presentation of the idea with the World Tournament, making you feel as if you were on a grand stage fighting against the best of the best. The Battle Maison/Tree? It's just a small room with a couple of no-name NPCs in a 1v1 or 2v2 format, with a cameo every ten battles. It's utterly dull and unexciting, and doesn't make me want to spend hundreds of hours there like I did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Nothing that transferred to gen 8, apparently. It had literally nothing and how was a stage set for gen 8? By rehashing gen 1? By offering not even an easter egg?
    Being built for the switch so they got some experience in designing a game on that system. It also helped in the fact that they really saw how they could build the world. I would wait to see if nothing really transfers over until further in. Im hoping the way you throw the ball transfers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I have a difference experience in all honesty. I loved SM. But, yet again, I took on my own challenges such as shiny breeding and trading for shinies the competitive pokemon I could breed. Hopefully we see some pretty neat things done on the switch. I am just thrilled for a mainstream game I can play on the TV finally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since Britan is known for its rain, do you think they will add a weater mehanic back into a game (so you can only catch X if its raining or something).

Also...i bet there is gona be a ghoust type umbrela pokemon (probaly based on some yokai).

There is a road at the bottom of the zone pointing to a forest... It would be odd if the entrance and its exit are the same, so I would guess they are planning to have this zone connected to another zone... I'm here hoping it's Kalos or a region next to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    There is a road at the bottom of the zone pointing to a forest... It would be odd if the entrance and its exit are the same, so I would guess they are planning to have this zone connected to another zone... I'm here hoping it's Kalos or a region next to it.
    Well when they showed us the sun and moon, we only seen 1 map at start. So you can hope i guess.

But its probaly a starting area. Where you get sent by mother to get a pokemon in there or something.
    Also: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w...9mon_Professor
    I wonder what Professor studie will be tho. Maybe pokemon food or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    If XY and SM starters are any indication, their final dual typings will interact in some way. Both the Gen6 and 7 starters got secondary typings that beat the secondary typings of the starter that was already weak to their primary typing. Greninja > Delphox > Chesnaught both in primary and secondary typings, and then Primarina > Incineroar > Decidueye in both typings as well (ignoring that Incineroar's dual typing makes it Neutral to Fairy, but I guess they only considered the typings in isolation for their interactions).

So IF they continue to do this, if Scorbunny ends up Fire/Electric, then the Water dude will be Water/Ground because no other typing is super effective on Electric, while the Grass monkey will get a type that's weak to Electric and super effective on Ground. But other than Grass itself I'm not seeing one. Edit: well there's Water, but would they really give a Water secondary typing to one of their non-Water starters? I sure hope so!

It's a nice thing to speculate about, but who knows if they're even going to keep that pattern going or not. But if they do, all it takes is knowing one of them to narrow down the possibilities for the rest.

Also I am very pleased the Zodiac thing for Fire starters is still going strong.
    I made a comment on pokemon reddit that I would love for them to give the starters another starter typing. Fire/Grass, Grass/Water, Water/Fire. Would give us our first fire/grass type, an actual usable fire/water type (since volcanion is mythical, which removes it from many fights), and a water/grass type that might be more usable than ludicolo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I made a comment on pokemon reddit that I would love for them to give the starters another starter typing. Fire/Grass, Grass/Water, Water/Fire. Would give us our first fire/grass type, an actual usable fire/water type (since volcanion is mythical, which removes it from many fights), and a water/grass type that might be more usable than ludicolo.
    I would be totally ok with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.