Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    ... you're serious?

Oh no
    What about them is bad? The general opinion is that Gen 9 design is some of the best Pokemon has had.

So, you appear the outlier here.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    So i noticed Tem Tem is now on switch.
    But...sadly i cant recomend this game any more as more updates the devs added, the worse the game economy/shiny rate went to poop.

They probaly put it out to get as much people invested on it on that system, before that new pokemon game comes out.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    New pokemon revealed, Wiglett!

By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    New pokemon revealed, Wiglett!

eo]
    Probaly based on that animal:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_eel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteroconger (but those dont exist in spain)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Probaly based on that animal:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_eel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteroconger (but those dont exist in spain)

Like with Galar did with English colonies, it is likely Paldea will be taking inspiration from places that Spain/Portugal have colonized.

And it isn't like this is the first Gen 9 pokemon inspired by a non-native species that's been revealed. Grafaiai is an aye aye.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm wondering what the evolutionary logic is behind Wiglett looking like Diglett or vice versa. Wiglett doesn't seem to be mammalian like Diglett.

A form of evolutionary mimicry? I wonder how that would help in the wild, as Diglett's aren't usually anywhere near water.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    I'm wondering what the evolutionary logic is behind Wiglett looking like Diglett or vice versa. Wiglett doesn't seem to be mammalian like Diglett.

A form of evolutionary mimicry? I wonder how that would help in the wild, as Diglett's aren't usually anywhere near water.
    Convergent evolution.

7+ Year Old Account
    So they revealed a Girafarig evolution called Farigiraf (Honestly, worse name of the Gen 8 pokemon imo. It is like Gen 1/2 quality).

Same typing as Girafarig, but two new abilities. Cud Chewer (Berries activate again at end of turn if ate a berry during the turn) and Armor Tail (works identically to Queenly Majesty and Dazzling. Immune to increase priority moves like Quick Attack or Sucker Punch.)

Honestly, I thought they dripped fed us info about Gen 8, but we 18 pokemon revealed for Gen 9 and the launch is about a month away.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Honestly, I thought they dripped fed us info about Gen 8, but we 18 pokemon revealed for Gen 9 and the launch is about a month away.
    They went overboard in gen 7 and revealed everything before launch and are on the opposite end of spectrum now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    They went overboard in gen 7 and revealed everything before launch and are on the opposite end of spectrum now.
    I didn't like Sun and Moon basically revealing everything, like only one alolan line wasn't revealed (Geodude), and a ton of the new mons were revealed.

But, I also don't like this. I feel the sweet spot is somewhere in between.

Though, I HATE returning to TMs breaking again. I don't mind that they are craft-able now, but I don't like breakable TMs.

I know SwSh had breakable TRs, but they were easily farmable. So, I am hoping materials aren't too bad to farm (which it appears to be the case.) And BDSP had breakable TMs, but it wasn't the "main" game for Gen 8. Arceus allowed you just to pay money to train moves without any TM bs.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently, in the trailer there were at least 3, and possible up to 5 unrevealed pokemon.

On the mini-map, you see a white mouse, a parrot, and a mushroom pokemon.
    During the selfie, a possible bug type pokemon appears behind one of the trainers (the one with Paldean Wooper).
    And during the battle with Team Star, a pre-evolve form of Armarouge (and/or Ceruledge) could have appeared.
    –The Sith Code

GameFreak has realized that they don't need to reveal anything, just as they don't need to put effort into developing their games. The Pokemon brand name sells itself.

Gen 6 and 7 went overboard with gen 1 pandering because the millennials who grew up with Pokemon were starting to become too old where they wouldn't dump all of their money on entertainment anymore, having mortgages and college debts and medical insurance for their families to pay. GF was trying to extract as much money out of them as possible before the window of opportunity closed.

So, what exactly is pokemon home good for? It appears that not even scarlet and violet will allow all pokemon in the game. I want it, but I don't enjoy the idea of having all of my pokemon locked into it, unable to be accessed. Its the reason why I have been finding it hard to play any new games.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    So, what exactly is pokemon home good for? It appears that not even scarlet and violet will allow all pokemon in the game. I want it, but I don't enjoy the idea of having all of my pokemon locked into it, unable to be accessed. Its the reason why I have been finding it hard to play any new games.
    Its usless. Only good to transver now from switch generations to never switch generation. Forget abauth 3ds games. And even then you probaly have to wait almost half a year so they update it so its possible to do that.

Probaly a good idea is to look at wiki, so you dont put any un-transver pokemon on it.
    National Pokédex is dead tho since ultra sun as its last gen:
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w...#Generation_IX

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, they should just make an official pokemon battle sim at this point. If they won't have 100% of the pokemon in a game going forward, they could do so by making an official battle sim. Stadiums are less work than a full 3D environment.

Connect the sim to home to use your own mon. People would by it.

You can even have various rule sets to fight with. (IE, Classic (no gimmick), Mega, Z-move, Dynamax, and the stupid crystals; even do an open that works like the current Anime allowing each player to choose their gimmick)

Home is just a place to look at your mons basically. The fact the rumor has that SV will have only 400 pokemon of the nearly 1000. And about 40 that can come in via home when eligible is garbage to me. It isn't even half the available pokemon between both numbers. Kalos Dex had over 450 mon, on a less powerful system as the first entry on that system. There is no reason that the switch games should have less available, especially when these are 3rd pokemon game Game Freak is developing for the Switch.
    –The Sith Code

3+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, they should just make an official pokemon battle sim at this point. If they won't have 100% of the pokemon in a game going forward, they could do so by making an official battle sim. Stadiums are less work than a full 3D environment.

You can even have various rule sets to fight with. (IE, Classic (no gimmick), Mega, Z-move, Dynamax, and the stupid crystals; even do an open that works like the current Anime allowing each player to choose their gimmick)
    This thought crossed my mind a few days ago, and something of this sort seems to be a highly likely outcome. GF could probably make bank just selling a Stadium-style Switch game by pulling a Smash Ultimate and using "Everyone is Here" as a market ploy. Since Stadium being sold on the premise of bringing Pokemon onto a TV and in 3D is a moot point now, it seems like the best angle to go at it. If they were smart about it, they'd allow user-defined rulesets, allowing existing competitive communities to more or less continue using their custom rulesets. I could see Dynamax getting nerfed as well if they end up having an "official" anime-style format.

I think Pokemon Showdown's existence is what to monitor in this situation. If it gets shut down due to copyright stuff, then odds are they're working on something, if Nintendo's recentish history is anything to go off of.

Home is just a place to look at your mons basically. The fact the rumor has that SV will have only 400 pokemon of the nearly 1000. And about 40 that can come in via home when eligible is garbage to me. It isn't even half the available pokemon between both numbers. Kalos Dex had over 450 mon, on a less powerful system as the first entry on that system. There is no reason that the switch games should have less available, especially when these are 3rd pokemon game Game Freak is developing for the Switch.
    I think a MMO would bring in Huge money for them. The have tons of places to go to. Tons of gimmicks. Tons of content for everyone from casual to hardcore. Just put in basically the core gameplay features such as IV/EV, shiny, breeding and alternate forms and you're golden.

Heck, just adding in things to customize your pokeball and clothes could net them massive profits without being a way to pay to win the game easily. They have a massive cash opportunity on their hands. They just need to grab it. Even if the switch isn't strong enough, they could team up with a developer for the computer.

Need proof? The popular pokemon mod for minecraft that they tried to shut down is all the proof of concept they need.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

A pure 3D battle sim won't sell well. It won't capitalize on the fantasy of going on an adventure with your magical pets. The franchise already recognized this fact, which is why the third and fourth Stadium games, Colosseum and XD, became fully fledged RPGs rather than just remaining fight simulators. A fight simulator with nothing else going for it doesn't have broad appeal. It only appeals to a niche of people who are into the meta game and minmaxxing. The sixth Stadium game, Pokemon Revolution, ditched the RPG aspects and returned to just being a pure battle simulator and suffered for it, and no new Stadium games have been made since then.

As for an MMO, I don't see them making a non-mainline game that contains multiple past regions. If Game Freak chooses to copy past SwSh's Galar into the MMO, then the devs would still have to recreate all of the other regions in the same SwSh artstyle for the game to have a consistent artstyle and quality. Gen 6 and Gen 7 have different artstyles, proportions, and levels of quality and can't simply be copy pasted in. At that point Game Freak would be investing enough time and money into the art department that they mind as well just make a brand new game with a new region rather than revisiting old places. Game Freak seems to agree with this, which is why the remakes of older gens are now being outsourced now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    A pure 3D battle sim won't sell well. It won't capitalize on the fantasy of going on an adventure with your magical pets. The franchise already recognized this fact, which is why the third and fourth Stadium games, Colosseum and XD, became fully fledged RPGs rather than just remaining fight simulators. A fight simulator with nothing else going for it doesn't have broad appeal. It only appeals to a niche of people who are into the meta game and minmaxxing. The sixth Stadium game, Pokemon Revolution, ditched the RPG aspects and returned to just being a pure battle simulator and suffered for it, and no new Stadium games have been made since then.

As for an MMO, I don't see them making a non-mainline game that contains multiple past regions. If Game Freak chooses to copy past SwSh's Galar into the MMO, then the devs would still have to recreate all of the other regions in the same SwSh artstyle for the game to have a consistent artstyle and quality. Gen 6 and Gen 7 have different artstyles, proportions, and levels of quality and can't simply be copy pasted in. At that point Game Freak would be investing enough time and money into the art department that they mind as well just make a brand new game with a new region rather than revisiting old places. Game Freak seems to agree with this, which is why the remakes of older gens are now being outsourced now.
    Revolution is rated highly among fans, it is reviewers who didn't like it.

Also, Revolution is not "Stadium 6." Even if you are thinking that way, Pokemon XD (which would be needed to get that number) isn't like the other games in that series in terms of that. TPC is clear there were only 3 Stadium games (2 internationally).

Also, an MMO wouldn't work without seriously changing how pokemon works. The game isn't designed to have multiple players interacting with the same NPC or overworld. If you look at SwSh wild areas, the other players are essentially a ghost in the overworld, they'll pass through roaming pokemon and NPCs. The same is true of the BDSP grand underground.

Also, BDSP was outsourced because Gamefreak didn't want to make a Team C to develop it. Gamefreak has two development teams, and those teams at the time were working on Legends and SV. We don't know if the outsourcing will continue or if this was a one time experiment as of right now.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    They just revealed a very good doggo:

No name or details on it yet. Just that it is more than likely a Ghost type considering the concept of the video.
    I'm thinking it more than likely unintentionally exhausts people in it's presence. It doesn't seem malicious, or even mischievous like Gastly/Haunter/Gengar. Just seems happy and playful.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I use it to store Pokémon, currently have every single one except for 4-5 I think, and then extra boxes for legendaries, shinies etc