Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Well not the saves, but just normal player to player trade. (infrared trading or local wireless link)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...ocal_wireless/
    Direct trades between generations haven't been possible since Gen 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    You will never see me defending event exclusives.

However, consider the following: one of the selling points of these games is its connectivity to Pokemon Go, from which you can transfer Meltan and Melmetal, who aren't obtainable without Go either. Every Pokemon that exists and is capturable in Go is transferable to Let's Go, all the way from Bulbasaur to Melmetal.

Except Mew. And then Mew is obtainable by buying an expensive controller, and has no other methods of being obtainable. Former mythicals have always been a fucking pain and should, in my opinion, be obtainable just by playing the game you bought. But they have historically been free to get when they are actually distributed. This one isn't, and an exception is created for it, being the only one out of all 153 Pokemon available in Let's Go you can't transfer from Go.

Chew on that for a bit and defend it again. I know you will.
    Can't be better articulated than this.

Them forcing a paywall (that is an extra 50$ mind you) to a mythical for which they made a never before seen exception in a game that is not even being developed by them, is as a shady practice as you can get. And that, by dishonoring a tradition that you may not get the arbitrary defined mythicals by any way except a distribution which were always for free.

You can disagree with the traditional method (and I do), but going even further than that...

This is absolute bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also another thing I failed to mention, is that this Mew is only redeemable once. I could have seen it being impossible to trade it, but being able to get as many as you want from a single purchase of the controller.

But if you in any way, for any reason, somehow lose your Mew (deleting the save file containing it, giving it to someone else, etc), it's gone forever, and the only way you're getting a new Mew is by either buying a new $50 Pokeball+, or finding someone who will give you their $50 Mew. Considering as well that nothing you could possibly offer in the game is worth as much, you will either be trading with a very kind soul, or someone who wipes their ass with literal money.

Or you'll be compensating them IRL for the Mew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Direct trades between generations haven't been possible since Gen 2.
    Sad but true, but a simple patch could fix that. And i am sure a lot of people will ask for that feature.

Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    You will never see me defending event exclusives.

However, consider the following: one of the selling points of these games is its connectivity to Pokemon Go, from which you can transfer Meltan and Melmetal, who aren't obtainable without Go either. Every Pokemon that exists and is capturable in Go is transferable to Let's Go, all the way from Bulbasaur to Melmetal.

Except Mew. And then Mew is obtainable by buying an expensive controller, and has no other methods of being obtainable. Former mythicals have always been a fucking pain and should, in my opinion, be obtainable just by playing the game you bought. But they have historically been free to get when they are actually distributed. This one isn't, and an exception is created for it, being the only one out of all 153 Pokemon available in Let's Go you can't transfer from Go.

Chew on that for a bit and defend it again. I know you will.
    No, I actually do agree with your points there. Especially the point that it would be much better (received) if you could at least get mew once per save, not once per pokeball+. What I do not agree is the fuss about that. Yes, it does not make me happy that while I got mew, my wife can't get it for her playthrough. I just consider mew to be a nice bonus to have, not a necessity. As I said before, I got used to not having access to mythicals in my almost 18 yrs of playing those games unless I get my paws on a clone (wave at Demon!) or get lucky that they actually release them for all. So there's the difference I suppose... Otherwise yes, I agree.

btw them being for free in the past is not entirely true being them locked behind special events which were in some countries only, meaning you had to pay quite nice money to be able to get them should you so desired them. Something I personally would love to see vanish but sadly TPC/Gamefreak doesn't seem so to go this way...

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    In theory, yes. In practice.....

Farming 125 candies for those relatively uncommon mons sucks balls. Especially if you wanna have something to use in Go too.
    Depends whether you play in a city or are rural player I guess. Still, if you can get some raids done those evo-trades are usually as raid bosses (lvl 3-4, which are doable in 1-2 players these days), which helps with that candy requirement. But yeah otherwise takes some time to farm them candies...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok that is just greddy:
    276$ for a plush

Quote Originally Posted by Tressa the Runelord View Post
    Ok that is just greddy:
    276$ for a plush
    Yeah, some of the prices for items suck. Like, the pokemon center has gym badges. They look awesome. But not $180 awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Yeah, some of the prices for items suck. Like, the pokemon center has gym badges. They look awesome. But not $180 awesome.
    I mean i have a Zeraora plushie and it look awensome (and it didnt even cost much):
    https://www.pokemoncenter.com/wcssto...1-03584_01.jpg

Also:

My favourite game is Pokemon Y

15+ Year Old Account
    I havent posted in awhile because I liked lets go but they were so lame. I hope we get gen 8 stuff soon

10+ Year Old Account
    Sun and moon Ep 105. -- Its quite interesting how close this anime is to video game compared to older ones.
    Also little and other guy father being somewhere lost/dead in ultra hole. Its funny when you find him on island tho. I wonder how the anime will do it tho.

Surprised we didn't get a Direct this month. Really excited we could be learning about Gen 8 as early as march though if they keep up their info patterns of the last few years.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeothecat View Post
    Surprised we didn't get a Direct this month. Really excited we could be learning about Gen 8 as early as march though if they keep up their info patterns of the last few years.
    Still 4 days tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeothecat View Post
    They took down the sun and moon direct so its just a matter of soon tm.

However judging by past reveals we might just get logos at announcement
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

So we've got a general Direct tomorrow. No news there most likely, but a Pokemon Treehouse Q&A on the 27th. I'm pretty desperate for some Pokemon discussion after not having anything interesting to talk about for over a year. What's everyone hoping for for Gen 8?
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess we will see tommorow.
    But i personaly hope we will explore ultra beast world, instead of a usual start in some country.

Sun and moon pretty much have no hits for a new game. (x,y had a totem -- ultra ruby and sapphire intruduced wormholes, that were made by hoppa, wich lead to the Looker losing memory, wich was a hint for when father of lillie and Gladion lost all memory)

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Looker

15+ Year Old Account
    A soft reboot as good as gen 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    A soft reboot as good as gen 5.
    Personally, I think gen 5 is the best, but that could be at the time I had a girlfriend into Pokemon and I played it a lot with her.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Personally, I think gen 5 is the best, but that could be at the time I had a girlfriend into Pokemon and I played it a lot with her.
    Gens 3, 4, and 5 were the golden age.

Gen 3 and 4 had fantastic world design. Hoenn felt like an actual place, where the world seen in the game lined up with the lore of the world. Most RPGs try to tell you that a city is actually a huge place with thousands of people, but it feels fake because the city is obviously downsized for gameplay reasons with only a few dozen NPCs around. Hoenn meanwhile makes its villages only as big as they need to be, and as a such, they feel like actual villages. The number of villages also adds up, as because there are fifteen of them, it feels like there is a legitimate need for a government to oversee this area. It feels like an actual territory. Furthermore, several of these towns were optional and not required to be visited to progress as they either had no plot significance or were on a path branching away from the main roads. There is no impetus to go to Verdanturf town, or Pacificlog village, so when you did, it felt like you had made a choice to do so and that the world was larger than it actually was. Furthermore, the roads were layered into sections that were unlocked with HMs, and those sections weren't just standalone areas that you came back to during the postgame just to get a stupid potion, but were actual alternate roads. For example, you would visit route 115 from Rustboro within the first five hours, and then ten hours later find yourself coming down from Meteor Falls to a new section of route 115, and then unlock the tunnel connecting Rustboro to Verdanturf town. This layered world design made returning to old routes not a disappointing detour for a potion, but new content to explore on the way to the next destination, as well as connecting destinations you've already visited so as to make travel more convenient in the future. Furthermore, because you got to travel back to old locations from a different perspective, it allowed you to formulate a better mental image of the world's geography, as well as help you connect with these places (rather than just being locations you pass through once and then never see again unless you open up a menu and use fly to go back, in which case it's just an abstract new video game level).

Gen 4 built on this by looping the world around a circuit, with multiple roads leading to multiple destinations, and since the game had you running to previous destinations, you felt like you had more agency in how you traversed the world.

While Black & White threw those world design decisions out the window, instead railroading the player along a single path with no optional routes to take whatsoever, B&W had two things going for it: the anticipating of discovering entirely new Pokemon in a brand new region (no old Pokemon show up until right before the end of the game), and its rock solid story. I looked forward to seeing Cheren's development and fighting with him again, checking up on Bianca as she explores the world, checking in with the Gym Leaders (who were the only generation of Gym Leaders to have an active role in the story with character motivations and life outside of battling, beyond being just another boss battle with a cool character design), and fighting Team Plasma, who were far and away the most compelling villainous team since Team Rocket. Do I even need to speak about N? Not only that, but Gen 5 is the only gen with actual sequels that allow us to revisit the world and see how the people and places we've come to know have changed in the wake of our protagonist's actions in the first game. For the first time, a Pokemon protagonist has had actual lasting impact on the world, with the fallout being acknowledged not only in the sequels but also in generations 6 and 7 (unlike the other generations, where the events of those generations are aren't referenced in other generations).

My dream is for Gen 8 to be immersive.

- - - Updated - - -

Gen 5 also had the best iteration of a endgame tournament, combined with wholesale fanservice in the form of the Pokemon World Tournament. Imagine if we had a postgame storyline that centered around a Pokemon World Tournament, where in between battles the player could walk in on characters (both from the new and old gens) interacting with each other, bonding, sharing their research, sharing life experiences, or forming rivalries. Bonus points if you could actually see those rivalries play out in the stadium, with the two characters fighting each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    0 info

I guess we have to wait longer.