Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    alright. can i still get to know what are top available pokemon of each type? any chart or something like that?
    The Smogon/PvP meta isn't really applicable to PvE gameplay, as its effective in the context of certain assumption as to how both players will build their teams and use their moves. In Pokemon PvE, the NPCs you fight against don't build their teams optimally (only a handful of endgame trainers have items attached to their Pokemon, they don't EV train, etc), and aside from a handful of fights they don't use their moves optimally. So you can roll with pretty much whatever you want and steamroll through the game. The only remotely challenging mainline Pokemon game is BW, which you can still overcome with almost any team. And the SwSh games certainly aren't going to offer you any challenge that will make building towards an optimized Smogon setup worth the effort. My personal advice would be to simply pick whichever Pokemon you like and roll with them.

She came across like this video about the best hunter pet so I just linked Smogon rather than any decent breakdown for PvE even though what you said about the story is true.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks brews
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    Some new updates have gone live for Nintendo Switch Pokémon software. First Pokémon Sword & Shield has received a new update bringing the game to Version 1.2.1. This update provides various undisclosed bug fixes including one that fixes an issue where players don't match together on the Y-Comm and make it so many raids edited by people cannot be played online.

LOL WHAT....did they finaly fix this shit?

10+ Year Old Account
    i keep hearing that new games are way easier compared to the old ones (i played some on GBA). where does the ease come from? cuz the number must stay the same right? additionally there are no difficulty levels like normal or hard, so what makes those new games easier??
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    i keep hearing that new games are way easier compared to the old ones (i played some on GBA). where does the ease come from? cuz the number must stay the same right? additionally there are no difficulty levels like normal or hard, so what makes those new games easier??
    Well stats on mons or moves in fact do not necessarily have stayed the same everywhere. But thats not where the game was made easier, the main point is team wide EXP share, a more linear progression and plenty of freebies in terms of mons or items. Then there have been mechanics like mega evolution and z-moves that most enemy trainers did not have access to and which are pretty damn powerful.

Can't speak to SwSh and dynamaxing cause I haven't played those so my comment is mostly on gen 6 & 7.

As Nelavar said, the numbers are tweaked from game to game. Plus, different AI behaviors, different comps, different items, etc.

The Kalos Elite 4 in XY have Pokemon in their mid 60's and they are an absolute joke. Just spam your highest power move.

The Unova Elite 4 in BW have Pokemon in their high 40s and they will crush your ass if you don't go in with your A-game. And that goes for the rest of BW.

• Gen 1: "difficult" in old JRPG sense that you don't have many options and the solutions really come down to grinding and finding that one Pokemon that is super effective against Brock's Geodude. There is hardly any strategy here.
    • Gen 2: same as above but a little easier due to a wider variety of Pokemon, so you have more options from the get go.
    • Gen 3: decently balanced. You don't need to level grind here, but you do need to at least need to pay some attention. Some trainers have actual strategies that will wipe you if you don't adjust.
    • Gen 4: same as above but the Elite 4 is harder. Cynthia was the hardest champion until BW released.
    • Gen 5: far and away the hardest Pokemon game. The game is meticulously balanced. You have access to 150 Pokemon on your first playthrough. If you go in to each boss fight thinking you will win just spamming your most powerful move, you're going to have a bad time. You need to have a balanced party with a wide array of moves. Buffs/debuffs are advised. Bosses have strategies and their Pokemon are equipped with items. This is the only Pokemon game where I've wiped on the Elite 4 and the final boss. You can't level grind on Victory Road; the wild Pokemon there are very tanky and very deadly, even at level 40, and once you're in your mid 40s you're really not going to level up any more. So you'd be laboriously spending a lot of time and/or money on revives for a little bit of exp. If you can't navigate through the Elite 4 strategies, an extra two levels isn't going to help you. Once you beat the game, you're still not done! You need to beat the E4 a second time... and they're EVEN HARDER. I'm not talking about a level increase; they have a different team comp and different strats. Champion Alder is the hardest champion in the series. Also lol Cynthia comes back as a superboss hanging out in her summer villa.
    • Gen 6: XY is a cakewalk. Just spam your most powerful move. No thinking required. You'll be overleveled for each fight and you enemies don't employ any strategies whatsoever, let alone have decent comps. The ORAS games are harder because they brought over the NPC strats from the original games, but given the sheer number of ways for you to overpower it through sheer force, it doesn't really matter.
    • Gen 7: cakewalk. Just spam your most powerful move. No thinking required.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-07-10 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    Well stats on mons or moves in fact do not necessarily have stayed the same everywhere. But thats not where the game was made easier, the main point is team wide EXP share, a more linear progression and plenty of freebies in terms of mons or items. Then there have been mechanics like mega evolution and z-moves that most enemy trainers did not have access to and which are pretty damn powerful.

Can't speak to SwSh and dynamaxing cause I haven't played those so my comment is mostly on gen 6 & 7.
    Dynamax is free OHKO x3 in the battles the story lets you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Dynamax is free OHKO x3 in the battles the story lets you use it.
    So a weaker Mega evolution+ Z-move mix for 3 turns.

Some of the ease I had came from the raid battles. You can do those solo, which most often is your only option, and it return, you get exp candy. You can get so much so quick that you can have all of your pokemon completely outlevel the entire story. Making them far stronger than any of the enemy pokemon at all, with zero effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    It is not really mega evolution since the only stat it buffs is HP.

But it does give three z-moves in a row all which give stat buffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Some of the ease I had came from the raid battles. You can do those solo, which most often is your only option, and it return, you get exp candy. You can get so much so quick that you can have all of your pokemon completely outlevel the entire story. Making them far stronger than any of the enemy pokemon at all, with zero effort.
    Some 5 stars as bitch to beat with the NPC trainers bringing Magikarps and Solrocks.

Even though he's weak, Magikarp actually attacks. Solrock is useless most of the time and Wobbafett is useless 99% of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    At surface level, that's what it is. But the more you compare them, the more differences you find between them. Dynamax is far more broken and enables far more degenerate gameplay than Megas or Z-moves ever did.

At the end of the day, Megas were just a form change that took place during combat at the cost of your item slot, one that was very predictable in the vast majority of cases since only a limited selection of Pokemon had the ability to Mega Evolve, and from those that did, not all of them would want to run a Mega Stone over a different item (Garchomp, the Latis for a very long time, Gyarados, Tyranitar, outside of Dragon Dance sets, sometimes Slowbro and Audino too). The amount of Pokemon that had any benefit on not clicking Mega the first chance they had was very small (limited to Sableye, Pokemon with Regenerator, Sharpedo, and Pokemon like Altaria who might want to do some mind games with their Ground immunity or something similar). Plus thanks to moves like Knock Off and Trick you could immediately learn if a Pokemon was running a Mega Stone or not.

Z-moves were a massive nuke (or very powerful boost in some cases) that also took your item slot to use, were a one time use, and if that used wrong, were gone and could cost you an entire match. And like Mega Stones, they could be scouted for with moves like Knock Off.

Meanwhile, Dynamax has a lot of perks attached to it at the same time that completely break the mechanic. While Dynamaxed, your Pokemon is immune to flinching, phasing from moves such as Roar, to weight based moves such as Grass Knot, moves that affect a Pokemon's ability such as Entrainment, Destiny Bond, moves that change move availability such as Disable or Encore, breaks the effect of Choice items for its duration (both the damage or speed bonus and the choice lock it causes).

In addition to all these passive perks that go into effect just by activating Dynamax, the Max Moves themselves have no accuracy check (meaning they can never miss as long as the enemy Pokemon is a valid target), cannot be fully blocked by Protect like Z-moves (Max Guard fully blocks them though), have high base power even if they come off weak moves, and grant ridiculous bonuses that affect both Pokemon on the affected side of the field that do not go away when Dynamax expires. In addition, unlike Megas that had only a small selection of Pokemon that could use them, Dynamax can be activated on any Pokemon you want at no cost.

TL;DR: Dynamax is a broken mess in any aspect of the game you engage on, and despite only lasting 3 turns, it makes Mega Evolution and Z-moves cry themselves to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    If you guys are looking for a fangame to play, I suggest Pokemon Daybreak. It's an RPGmaker game, so no need for a rom.

It's in RSE/FRLG style, seems to have all gens of mons (the highest numbered Pokemon I've found is a Cufant, so it seems to have Gen 8).

Apparently, the story is approx 14 hrs long, but I'm on the 4th gym, and am at 10 hours. And I've been exploring, running back for quests, newly accessible items, etc.
    Has 10 gyms and the elite 4 (story is almost complete, just post game islands in a future update which wraps it up). the story is half gym challenge - half professors aide (think Pokemon Gaia, where you're working for the professor, but he suggests you take the gym challenge).

Difficulty is high, but just below something like Reborn, IMO (no BS field-move combos, etc., just - what seems like - perfect IV pokemon with TM/Breeding/Tutored moves and possibly HAs (EG. Theres a random fisherman early on, completely optional, who has a Feebas with Surf and Icy wind, and a Wooper with Water Absorb - which you fight as a double battle)). Thankfully the game seems to have repeatable trainers near tough sections of the game to help you train up.

And the game has regional variants and new megas.

Will say, though, - and the devs warn about it upon opening the game - the game has a few bugs. It's frozen for me 2 times in the 10 hours that I've played it, and occasional pokemon use moves that cause error messages but allow you to keep fighting as if they never used the move. No save data corruption or anything so far, so just keep saving frequently and you should have no issue.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    If you guys are looking for a fangame to play, I suggest Pokemon Daybreak. It's an RPGmaker game, so no need for a rom.

It's in RSE/FRLG style, seems to have all gens of mons (the highest numbered Pokemon I've found is a Cufant, so it seems to have Gen 8).

Apparently, the story is approx 14 hrs long, but I'm on the 4th gym, and am at 10 hours. And I've been exploring, running back for quests, newly accessible items, etc.
    Has 10 gyms and the elite 4 (story is almost complete, just post game islands in a future update which wraps it up). the story is half gym challenge - half professors aide (think Pokemon Gaia, where you're working for the professor, but he suggests you take the gym challenge).

Difficulty is high, but just below something like Reborn, IMO (no BS field-move combos, etc., just - what seems like - perfect IV pokemon with TM/Breeding/Tutored moves and possibly HAs (EG. Theres a random fisherman early on, completely optional, who has a Feebas with Surf and Icy wind, and a Wooper with Water Absorb - which you fight as a double battle)). Thankfully the game seems to have repeatable trainers near tough sections of the game to help you train up.

And the game has regional variants and new megas.

Will say, though, - and the devs warn about it upon opening the game - the game has a few bugs. It's frozen for me 2 times in the 10 hours that I've played it, and occasional pokemon use moves that cause error messages but allow you to keep fighting as if they never used the move. No save data corruption or anything so far, so just keep saving frequently and you should have no issue.
    i love fangames with fakemon and new variants
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    A quick question: if I download a poke game, for example ultra sun/moon, will I be able to use bank to transfer mons there? Or do I need a physical copy of said game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by king of lag View Post
    A quick question: if I download a poke game, for example ultra sun/moon, will I be able to use bank to transfer mons there? Or do I need a physical copy of said game?
    You need to use pokebank (that you need to pay) and then you need to download other pokebank on a phone and switch (that you also need to pay) to transver to sword/shield.

But if you mean moving pokemon from older gen to sun/moon (lets say X), you will need pokebank to move them. And you cant transver back to older gens.
    Also pokemon on catrage are stored there. Digital are stored on 3ds.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    You need to use pokebank (that you need to pay) and then you need to download other pokebank on a phone and switch (that you also need to pay) to transver to sword/shield.

But if you mean moving pokemon from older gen to sun/moon (lets say X), you will need pokebank to move them. And you cant transver back to older gens.
    Also pokemon on catrage are stored there. Digital are stored on 3ds.
    Understood

But the actual question is that is it possible to use pokebank on digital games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by king of lag View Post
    Understood

But the actual question is that is it possible to use pokebank on digital games?
    Yes, it is.