Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Ah yes, who could forget such fan favourites as Audino, Camerupt, and Abomasnow. Naturally they were chosen over those nobody likes, such as Pikachu, Togekiss and Dragonite.
    Ok, i give you Audino,
    but Camerupt was picked for a very obvious reason and Abomasnow was always well received (at least outside of competitive, which is something i'm not talking about here).

But on the other hand you have:
    - Charizard, who for some reason needed 2 mega forms and even a gigantamax form
    - Pikachu, who got chunkachu
    - absol
    - mewtwo who also got 2 mega forms
    - Tyranitar
    - Blaziken (who got a mega way before the other 2 starters from same gen)
    - Garchomp
    - Lucario
    - Scizor
    - Gengar

Overall i'm fine with megas and gigantamax (which was mostly gen1 pandering anyway, but without the power push megas did) to not be seen or heard again from.
    Last edited by Zmagoslav; 2021-03-10 at 07:15 AM.

I think almost every Pokemon has some level of popularity. Even the ones that don't come to mind as super iconic usually tend to have merchandise, like Shellos. You have to look really hard to find Pokemon with hardly any merch, and hardly ever listed in a favorite's list. Like Farfetch'd or Luvdisc. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention them as a favorite or even as a cool Pokemon since... oh wow. A long time.

I don't think there was that much favoritism to be honest. You have the three Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Tyranitar, Lucario, and... that's it for the super popular Pokemon. But is having 8 super popular Pokemon out of 48 get mega forms really that bad? I mean, they are super popular, so giving them megas would please a large swath of the fandom. And it's only 8 out of 48. A lot of other not as popular Pokemon got formes too. I mean, I never thought that Medicham was very popular, and yet it got a mega, and I didn't really hear any complaining about it. Which was nice. If Luvdisc got a mega form, I think it might have revitalized interest in it. No one will complain so long as the formes are cool.

To me, the real problem are the regional formes, which is blatant gen 1 favoritism, at the opportunity cost of formes for other gens. Feels like it might have been a desperation move to try to keep the older fans in the franchise. With SwSh, they've added a handful of formes for gens besides gen 1, but it seems that gen 1 gets far and away the most focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Farfetch'd is cool. I mean he's not close to my favorite, but I think he has a dope design. Luvdisc is ass though.

Farfetch'd is good, and surprisingly useful in early game. Though this is diminished by it usually being available only in the mid to late game.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Ok, i give you Audino,
    but Camerupt was picked for a very obvious reason and Abomasnow was always well received (at least outside of competitive, which is something i'm not talking about here).

But on the other hand you have:
    - Charizard, who for some reason needed 2 mega forms and even a gigantamax form
    - Pikachu, who got chunkachu
    - absol
    - mewtwo who also got 2 mega forms
    - Tyranitar
    - Blaziken (who got a mega way before the other 2 starters from same gen)
    - Garchomp
    - Lucario
    - Scizor
    - Gengar

Overall i'm fine with megas and gigantamax (which was mostly gen1 pandering anyway, but without the power push megas did) to not be seen or heard again from.
    The worse part is that Scizor and Garchomp are better in base rather than Mega, so those mega slots could have gone to different pokemon. I can at least understand Charizard as it gets significantly more usable with its Mega. Lucario and Gengar's megas were broken.

I disagree with Absol, but the rest you have a point with.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't think there was that much favoritism to be honest.
    Charizard having not just one, but two, and one of then being edgy black clearly show there was a gigantic favoritism involved with the megas, and i think they just give other pokemons megas to not be that blatantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Ok, i give you Audino,
    there is also the point where japanese people find different pokemon cool compared to europeans or americans in general, something fan favorite there could not be fan favorite here and vice versa

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone in the UK used the German/Italian Gamestop site for the shiny Toxtricity? If so, how'd you do it, was it just as simple as signing up to the newsletter?
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    If they hadn't abandoned mega evolution already, they should just give Pikachu a mega. That would mean that #1 NFEs could get megas and #2 less than third stage mons with mega could still get regular evolution too.
    They did give one to Pikachu, it's called Gmax which is just the same as mega evolution but with a much bigger size increase. Yes, it comes with a Zmove, but honestly there's not much of a difference between the two.

Personally, both Mega and GMax are poorly designed when it comes to how the Pokemon are affected. Not many of them change dramatically enough and the whole "peak of evolution" is pretty lame when Mons like Metagross just change the way it sits or Eevee/Centiscorch where they just get bigger.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Pokemon GO player here

Which pokemon deals most neutral dmg, is best for clearing gyms basically? Mewtwo with shadow ball (i got only 1) or rayquaza with dragon type attacks? Obv dragon-type is best for neutral, but so is shadow ball with mewtwo's attack

And what should i know about transferring pokemon to pokemon HOME. do stats, moves and whatnot retain when transfered? Say i have mewtwo with that legacy move, psystrike or whatever, do i also get to keep it on pokemon HOME and then main series? How does it work? What else is there to know?

Thanks in advance

- - - Updated - - -

Which are the top 10 legendary pokemon worth trading on pokemom HOME?

also is wonder box worth trying out?

- - - Updated - - -

How much are nature advantages/disadvantages? Still 10% or changed with newer main series games?

Also is this the thread to discuss pokemon video games or its just for the anime and theres another for that?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    Pokemon GO player here

Which pokemon deals most neutral dmg, is best for clearing gyms basically? Mewtwo with shadow ball (i got only 1) or rayquaza with dragon type attacks? Obv dragon-type is best for neutral, but so is shadow ball with mewtwo's attack

And what should i know about transferring pokemon to pokemon HOME. do stats, moves and whatnot retain when transfered? Say i have mewtwo with that legacy move, psystrike or whatever, do i also get to keep it on pokemon HOME and then main series? How does it work? What else is there to know?

Thanks in advance

- - - Updated - - -

Which are the top 10 legendary pokemon worth trading on pokemom HOME?

- - - Updated - - -

How much are nature advantages/disadvantages? Still 10% or changed with newer main series games?

Also is this the thread to discuss pokemon video games or its just for the anime and theres another for that?
    Nah we discuss the games as well, I just don't know how many of us play Pokemon GO. I know I personally don't.

Pokemon GO player here

I just spam GYMS with whatever the games suggest when I start attacking. Haven't failed me yet.

Since Pokémon GO IVs go from 0 to 15 and main series goes from 0 to 31, IVs are calculated like this when transferring to main series via Home or Lets Go Peevee.

HP = GoHP*2+1
    Attack and Special Attack = GoAtk*2+1
    Defence and Special Defence = GoDef*2+1
    Speed = Random Roll

Nature = Random

Ability = Random from standard abilities

Level = Same as in Pokémon Go (the hidden one under the CP the game doesn't show)

Moves = Whatever moves the Pokémon would have learned in the wild at its current level in the most recent main series game it was featured in, so:

Kanto Pokémon: Let's Go learnset
    Pokémon in Sword and Shield: SwSh learnset
    Rest: Ultra Sun/Moon learnset

You cannot transfer Pokémon from Home back to Go, so them having legacy Go moves is a moot point.

It is random trade. Mostly just junk or hacked mons.

Still the same +-10% for two stats, but you can choose the stat benefit in SwSh with a BP item.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still the same +-10% for two stats, but you can choose the stat benefit in SwSh with a BP item.
    ok so natures give +-10% to stats, what about those IVs? how do they work in the main series?
    for example the pokemon has all on 10. how much difference is that to the same pokemon with all IVs of 31?

ok so natures give +-10% to stats, what about those IVs? how do they work in the main series?
    for example the pokemon has all on 10. how much difference is that to the same pokemon with all IVs of 31?
    1 IV = Stat point at lvl 100.

10+ Year Old Account
    1 IV = Stat point at lvl 100.
    im not sure what that means exactly for the main series. how does that translate percentagewise to the scenario of 10 to 31 IV i described. would that be more or less of a stat loss/gain compared to pokemons nature? which one is more important and which one is like min/maxing?

im not sure what that means exactly for the main series. how does that translate percentagewise to the scenario of 10 to 31 IV i described. would that be more or less of a stat loss/gain compared to pokemons nature? which one is more important and which one is like min/maxing?
    Depends on the base stat. The more base stat mon has in a stat, the smaller percentage the IV will be in the whole number. Nature is always multiplier applied to stat after all else, so it can have the biggest difference in the end.

The formulas:

(HP doesn't have nature multiplier since no nature affects HP).

10+ Year Old Account
    alright, so to my understanding nature has more value and therefore is more important

all i can see in pokemon HOME app is nature and ability of a pokemon anyway. no IVs
    its pretty easy to check IV in PoGO. what about main series?

alright, so to my understanding nature has more value and therefore is more important

all i can see in pokemon HOME app is nature and ability of a pokemon anyway. no IVs
    its pretty easy to check IV in PoGO. what about main series?
    Tap the Stat hexagon on phone HOme or press Y on Switch Home and it will cycle through numerical stats, EVs and IVs.

IV judge function in main series differs. Before gen 7 it was just a NPC at a endgame location that told your Pokémon's approximate IVs (though he will state outright if a stat has max IVs). In Gen 7 you can unlock stat judge function for PC at the battle tree after you have hatched 20 eggs. In Sword and Shield the Judge function will unlock for PC after you get few wins in the battle tower.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks, buddy

10+ Year Old Account
    Arguably even EVs are more important, or lets say more impactful, than IVs. In a competitive setting you assume they are always maxed out anyway. Exceptions are for Hidden Power typing and purposefully staying as slow as possible for Trick Room/Gyro Ball shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    Arguably even EVs are more important, or lets say more impactful, than IVs. In a competitive setting you assume they are always maxed out anyway. Exceptions are for Hidden Power typing and purposefully staying as slow as possible for Trick Room/Gyro Ball shenanigans
    Yeah. Maxed EVs give 63 statpoints at lvl 100. Combined IVs and EVs are 94 point difference between 0 and max.