Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    at first i wasnt a fan of the art style but its really starting to grow on me

- - - Updated - - -

Fidelity is better but it can't get over the terrible artstyle.

Chibis just look plain awful. On GB/GBA/DS it can get a pass since it is a workable compromise for the small screen and pixel art. On Switch and with 3D models there is no excuse to use that horrible design style.

animation looks nice but one big important question:
    Pokemon manga adaption when?!
    Let me dream...

Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    [video=youtube;NzxHrd53F0k]-snip-
    So... more shorts? I don't know. Guess that's nice. Not fond of the artstyle, though. Also surprised they are still doing shorts based off of the games. I think they already adapted all of the good game story moments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Generally view this thread as a self hating thread. They hate Pokemon, yet buy every edition and side game for it.
    We don't hate Pokemon. We love Pokemon. We just hate what has befallen the franchise in recent years. We wouldn't be posting here unless we still had an attachment for Pokemon and hope it gets better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

Chibis just look plain awful. On GB/GBA/DS it can get a pass since it is a workable compromise for the small screen and pixel art. On Switch and with 3D models there is no excuse to use that horrible design style.
    Which is a shame, because chibi in 3D can look good (look at World of Final Fantasy and the Link to the Past remake).

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    So... more shorts? I don't know. Guess that's nice. Not fond of the artstyle, though. Also surprised they are still doing shorts based off of the games. I think they already adapted all of the good game story moments.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't hate Pokemon. We love Pokemon. We just hate what has befallen the franchise in recent years. We wouldn't be posting here unless we still had an attachment for Pokemon and hope it gets better.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is a shame, because chibi in 3D can look good (look at World of Final Fantasy and the Link to the Past remake).
    Yeah... keep telling yourself that.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

It isn't a "terrible artstyle", you just don't like it. Your personal opinion doesn't mean it is terrible. A lot of people like the style given the improvement. And no, just because you are an artist does not grant your opinion any more or less validity.

Honestly, I personally like the artstyle in BDSP over Legends. Legends seems to have one style for the world and another style for the pokemon that it makes the pokemon, even the Hisuian forms and evolutions, look out of place in the world.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The 6th and final Poketoons short is out.

So... were the other ghost Pokemon actually schoolkids who didn't make it out in time, and were forever stuck as a Pokemon? This had to have happened at least once for Gengar to have known about it...

Too bad this is the last one. Wish we were getting more.

I actually like it. It goes back to the artstyle of the highest rated games in the series. I disagree that there is no excuse to use it. People use pixel art for new games all the time and they get a lot of praise. I can see how some do not like it.

That's only one reason I'm excited for it. My biggest is (and I hope it stays that way) NO gimmicks. No megas, z-moves, etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    I actually like it. It goes back to the artstyle of the highest rated games in the series. I disagree that there is no excuse to use it. People use pixel art for new games all the time and they get a lot of praise. I can see how some do not like it.

That's only one reason I'm excited for it. My biggest is (and I hope it stays that way) NO gimmicks. No megas, z-moves, etc.
    Yeah, there are literally games coming out that use 2D sprites, and people love it.

I think it is nice that we are getting games with different artstyles in this generation of Pokemon.
    Legends Arceus doesn't look like SwSh or BDSP.

The idea that a certain artstyle should be "off limits" because of system power is just odd to me.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post

That artstyle only works for small sprites. For 3D models that chibi shit is goddamn horrendous.

That artstyle only works for small sprites. For 3D models that chibi shit is goddamn horrendous.
    To each is their own. I like it.

Are the wardens the new gym leaders, or are they just another trainer type like rangers?

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I gathered, they are kinda like a Trial Captain/Ranger for a species/specific type of pokemon.

There are some who look after Noble pokemon (Kleavor for example. Sounds like it is a regional evolution of Scyther, but having the title Noble seems to imply that there may be a specific one that Lien looks after as a Warden?), and some who look after certain species ant their territories.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Are the wardens the new gym leaders, or are they just another trainer type like rangers?
    They seem akin to Trial Captains from Alola, more than gym leaders.

So it feels that the Noble pokemon will fill the "gym" role for Legends.

It is pretty cool that so far they appear to be related to characters we have seen before and not all from Sinnoh.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It is pretty cool that so far they appear to be related to characters we have seen before and not all from Sinnoh.
    It is also pretty silly that every character in the game is just a retro skin for a previous character.

7+ Year Old Account
    It is also pretty silly that every character in the game is just a retro skin for a previous character.
    It is a standard trope. It is insanely common that past characters are retro version of characters we know.

Back to the Future, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Legends of Tomorrow, etc ...

Look here is this past character that looks identical to this modern character.

It maybe silly, but it is pretty common when dealing with telling stories in the past of already established character.
    It would actually be weird if pokemon (full of silly tropes already) didn't do the silly trope when it came to this kind of thing.
    –The Sith Code

Brilliant Diamond or Pink Gaem, which to preorder?

People still preorder videogames?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Brilliant Diamond or Pink Gaem, which to preorder?
    Dont pre-order. Wait for people to check the game 1.st as if its like the old game or downgraded, its better to just play 2ds version.

Its made by ILCA who had those games under them:
    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._pearl_remakes
    They are support studio. So i expect no changes to the main game.
    But gen 4 is still the worst generation (not counting stuff after black and white 2)
    Don't sweat the details!!!