1. #52341
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Well, finished Hunter x Hunter after quite an intensive effort. Didn't think I would ever watch a series this long again.

    I ended up settling at around a 6/10. I've got enough notes to myself to write a full review, so that will likely come later. The short version just being that it was alright as a series, with some real potential and interesting ideas, but it got lost along with way and squandered most of its time on a weak arc with too many meaningless characters.
    I don't know if the anime suffers from the same thing, but in my opinion, the whole thing went drastically downhill with the Chimera ant arc.

  2. #52342
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I don't know if the anime suffers from the same thing, but in my opinion, the whole thing went drastically downhill with the Chimera ant arc.
    That's the 'weak arc' I was referencing. Even the post-Chimera stuff was a little weird, where they summon Alluka-Dragon Balls to grant wishes, everybody 'doesn't die' because they're reborn as ants, and generally just ruining the impact of earlier developments.

  3. #52343
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    That's the 'weak arc' I was referencing. Even the post-Chimera stuff was a little weird, where they summon Alluka-Dragon Balls to grant wishes, everybody 'doesn't die' because they're reborn as ants, and generally just ruining the impact of earlier developments.
    Oh yeah, because (This is manga based as a heads up, not sure if the anime goes into this although I don't see why it wouldn't especially based on what you said) Kite always wanted to be a girl instead. And by Alluka-Dragon balls you mean Killia's little sister or whatever, right?

    Greed's Island was great though in my opinion, and everything before the ants basically.

  4. #52344
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Oh yeah, because (This is manga based as a heads up, not sure if the anime goes into this although I don't see why it wouldn't especially based on what you said) Kite always wanted to be a girl instead. And by Alluka-Dragon balls you mean Killia's little sister or whatever, right?

    Greed's Island was great though in my opinion, and everything before the ants basically.
    Yeah, Alluka is Killua's little sister (brother?). She (he?) comes out of nowhere and has the convenient wish-filling power, which is at first meant to be non-convenient because of its danger and restrictions. But oop, ends up Killua is good friends with Something and he can ask for whatever he wants, any time he wants, without paying a price. Problem solved!

    And as for Kite, it doesn't mention that in the anime but that just makes it even sillier in my mind. But I really detest Kite's plot purpose overall. Again, jumping a bit into the review, but Kite wasn't given anywhere near the character development he needed to play the crucial role he had. His main importance to Gon is all off-camera, apparently playing a key role in explaining that Ging was not dead to Gon. By comparison he doesn't do anything particularly interesting when we do see him, and we don't know him that long before Neferpitou slaughters him.

    At this point I actually appreciated how frank it was about what happened. All this belief about Kite pulling through was just wishful thinking. But then Gon uncovers a deep connection to Kite out of nowhere (again, from the audience's perspective) and it becomes the driving force for everything he does for the next 60 episodes. If Killua had died that would have made sense. But Kite? No, it didn't cut it.

    The final nail in the coffin for Kite, in my view, is that he is then resurrected as an ant. First, he wasn't eaten so how that works is...whatever. Second, did the series just seriously undermine its own revenge story for a cheap reunion? Say what you want about the Chimera Ant arc, the episode where Gon is convinced to wait for Neferpitou to heal Komugi is easily one of the better ones. Gon completely goes off the rails and is functionally the bad guy, threatening to murder a helpless girl to get what he wants. But oh, oops, that was just an accident because Kite was hanging out at the mansion this whole time. His bad. Just...ung. Kite's whole existence is a train wreck.

  5. #52345
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Yeah, Alluka is Killua's little sister (brother?). She (he?) comes out of nowhere and has the convenient wish-filling power, which is at first meant to be non-convenient because of its danger and restrictions. But oop, ends up Killua is good friends with Something and he can ask for whatever he wants, any time he wants, without paying a price. Problem solved!

    And as for Kite, it doesn't mention that in the anime but that just makes it even sillier in my mind. But I really detest Kite's plot purpose overall. Again, jumping a bit into the review, but Kite wasn't given anywhere near the character development he needed to play the crucial role he had. His main importance to Gon is all off-camera, apparently playing a key role in explaining that Ging was not dead to Gon. By comparison he doesn't do anything particularly interesting when we do see him, and we don't know him that long before Neferpitou slaughters him.

    At this point I actually appreciated how frank it was about what happened. All this belief about Kite pulling through was just wishful thinking. But then Gon uncovers a deep connection to Kite out of nowhere (again, from the audience's perspective) and it becomes the driving force for everything he does for the next 60 episodes. If Killua had died that would have made sense. But Kite? No, it didn't cut it.

    The final nail in the coffin for Kite, in my view, is that he is then resurrected as an ant. First, he wasn't eaten so how that works is...whatever. Second, did the series just seriously undermine its own revenge story for a cheap reunion? Say what you want about the Chimera Ant arc, the episode where Gon is convinced to wait for Neferpitou to heal Komugi is easily one of the better ones. Gon completely goes off the rails and is functionally the bad guy, threatening to murder a helpless girl to get what he wants. But oh, oops, that was just an accident because Kite was hanging out at the mansion this whole time. His bad. Just...ung. Kite's whole existence is a train wreck.
    No, I totally agree with you that the whole Neferpitou/Gon thing was well done, but like you said, it's just not there really overall. Kite was basically just shooed in, and then even that was made irrelevant. Also, the "Kite wanted to be a girl" thing was just me being flippant about it just to clarify, I just thought it made absolutely no sense for him to be reborn as an ant, and then on top of that, suddenly he's a female ant.

    I think you really hit the nail on the head honestly, and maybe I would of continued more if there wasn't so many hiatuses, but it's just so...eh.

  6. #52346

  7. #52347
    Pokémon go is now officially released in UK and Germany as well for those that are interested, other countries will follow in the next few days/2 weeks.

  8. #52348
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,355

  9. #52349
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    what a fucking idiot she is

    she should be more like glorious Takagi

  10. #52350
    Brewmaster Enjeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,361
    Tomo-chan hiatus extended to 7/21 apparently.

  11. #52351
    Elemental Lord Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Twilight Town
    Posts
    8,462
    Toradora! 8/10 - Really good stuff. Love the characters and the comedy. I felt the ending was a little weird though. I thought it was strange how they instantly went to marriage once they confessed to each other. I did like how Taiga left to reconcile with her family first though.

    Haikyuu!!! Fucking 10/10 - The comedy, the action, the characters, the progression, the exploration of the other teams, and the dynamic of the team is just so perfect. I went to some of the girl's volleyball games in High School because our team was good and we consistently made it to regionals, but I never really knew much about the game. But after seeing Haikyuu, first off I don't understand why people think it's a girl sport. There's plenty of high pace action and in sports I don't think there's a more manly thing than spiking a ball other than tackling someone in Football. Also, I never knew how complex volleyball was.

    I can't fucking wait for Season 3 in the Fall.

  12. #52352
    Fluffy Kitten Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8,103
    http://www.internationalsaimoe.com/voting/

    ARENA 01: [Isshiki Iroha] Shiraishi Urara
    ARENA 02: Shirayuki [Kaname Madoka]
    ARENA 03: [Kurousagi] Aisaka Taiga
    ARENA 04: [Shirai Kuroko] Furukawa Nagisa
    ARENA 05: Sanzen'in Nagi [Abstained] Sakura Chiyo
    ARENA 06: Tedeza Rize [Abstained] Minami Kotori
    ARENA 07: Nishikino Maki [Abstained] Tōjō Nozomi
    ARENA 08: [Aragaki Ayase] Nakiri Erina
    ARENA 09: [Saitama] Kisaragi Shintarō
    ARENA 10: Bell Cranel [Abstained] Isana Yashiro
    ARENA 11: Leonardo Watch [Okabe Rintarō]
    ARENA 12: Yukine [Abstained] Akasaka Ryūnosuke
    ARENA 13: Matsuno Ichimatsu [Abstained] Okazaki Tomoya
    ARENA 14: Amagiri Ayato [Abstained] Zen Wistalia
    ARENA 15: Itami Yōji [Abstained] Kaneki Ken
    ARENA 16: Arima Kōsei [Iskandar]
    ARENA 17: Naruse Jun [Abstained] Endō Saya
    ARENA 18: Yurizaki Mira [Abstained] Satonaka Chie

  13. #52353
    Field Marshal Suicidal Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere.
    Posts
    77
    ARENA 01: [Isshiki Iroha] Shiraishi Urara
    ARENA 02: [Shirayuki] Kaname Madoka
    ARENA 03: [Kurousagi] Aisaka Taiga
    ARENA 04: Shirai Kuroko [Abstained] Furukawa Nagisa
    ARENA 05: Sanzen'in Nagi [Sakura Chiyo]
    ARENA 06: [Tedeza Rize] Minami Kotori
    ARENA 07: [Nishikino Maki] Tōjō Nozomi
    ARENA 08: [Aragaki Ayase] Nakiri Erina
    ARENA 09: [Saitama] Kisaragi Shintarō
    ARENA 10: Bell Cranel [Isana Yashiro]
    ARENA 11: Leonardo Watch [Okabe Rintarō]
    ARENA 12: Yukine [Abstained] Akasaka Ryūnosuke
    ARENA 13: Matsuno Ichimatsu [Okazaki Tomoya]
    ARENA 14: Amagiri Ayato [Zen Wistalia]
    ARENA 15: [Itami Yōji] Kaneki Ken
    ARENA 16: Arima Kōsei [Iskandar]
    ARENA 17: Naruse Jun [Endō Saya]
    ARENA 18: Yurizaki Mira [Satonaka Chie]
    [CENTER]

  14. #52354
    Brewmaster Enjeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,361
    ARENA 01: Isshiki Iroha [Abstained] Shiraishi Urara
    ARENA 02: [Shirayuki] Kaname Madoka
    ARENA 03: Kurousagi [Aisaka Taiga]
    ARENA 04: Shirai Kuroko [Furukawa Nagisa]
    ARENA 05: Sanzen'in Nagi [Sakura Chiyo]
    ARENA 06: [Tedeza Rize] Minami Kotori
    ARENA 07: Nishikino Maki [Abstained] Tōjō Nozomi
    ARENA 08: Aragaki Ayase [Abstained] Nakiri Erina
    ARENA 09: Saitama [Abstained] Kisaragi Shintarō
    ARENA 10: [Bell Cranel] Isana Yashiro
    ARENA 11: Leonardo Watch [Abstained] Okabe Rintarō
    ARENA 12: Yukine [Abstained] Akasaka Ryūnosuke
    ARENA 13: Matsuno Ichimatsu [Abstained] Okazaki Tomoya
    ARENA 14: Amagiri Ayato [Zen Wistalia]
    ARENA 15: Itami Yōji [Abstained] Kaneki Ken
    ARENA 16: Arima Kōsei [Abstained] Iskandar
    ARENA 17: Naruse Jun [Endō Saya]
    ARENA 18: Yurizaki Mira [Satonaka Chie]

  15. #52355
    Pit Lord goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Base Reality
    Posts
    2,300
    ARENA 01: Isshiki Iroha [Shiraishi Urara]
    ARENA 02: Shirayuki [Abstained] Kaname Madoka
    ARENA 03: Kurousagi [Abstained] Aisaka Taiga
    ARENA 04: [Shirai Kuroko] Furukawa Nagisa
    ARENA 05: Sanzen'in Nagi [Abstained] Sakura Chiyo
    ARENA 06: Tedeza Rize [Minami Kotori]
    ARENA 07: Nishikino Maki [Tōjō Nozomi]
    ARENA 08: Aragaki Ayase [Abstained] Nakiri Erina
    ARENA 09: [Saitama] Kisaragi Shintarō
    ARENA 10: Bell Cranel [Abstained] Isana Yashiro
    ARENA 11: Leonardo Watch [Okabe Rintarō]
    ARENA 12: Yukine [Abstained] Akasaka Ryūnosuke
    ARENA 13: Matsuno Ichimatsu [Abstained] Okazaki Tomoya
    ARENA 14: Amagiri Ayato [Abstained] Zen Wistalia
    ARENA 15: [Itami Yōji] Kaneki Ken
    ARENA 16: Arima Kōsei [Iskandar]
    ARENA 17: [Naruse Jun] Endō Saya
    ARENA 18: Yurizaki Mira [Abstained] Satonaka Chie

  16. #52356

  17. #52357
    ARENA 01: [Isshiki Iroha] Shiraishi Urara
    ARENA 02: Shirayuki [Kaname Madoka]
    ARENA 03: Kurousagi [Aisaka Taiga]
    ARENA 04: Shirai Kuroko [Furukawa Nagisa]
    ARENA 05: Sanzen'in Nagi [Sakura Chiyo]
    ARENA 06: [Tedeza Rize] Minami Kotori
    ARENA 07: [Nishikino Maki] Tōjō Nozomi
    ARENA 08: [Aragaki Ayase] Nakiri Erina
    ARENA 09: [Saitama] Kisaragi Shintarō
    ARENA 10: [Bell Cranel] Isana Yashiro
    ARENA 11: Leonardo Watch [Okabe Rintarō]
    ARENA 12: Yukine [Akasaka Ryūnosuke]
    ARENA 13: Matsuno Ichimatsu [Okazaki Tomoya]
    ARENA 14: Amagiri Ayato [Abstained] Zen Wistalia
    ARENA 15: Itami Yōji [Abstained] Kaneki Ken
    ARENA 16: Arima Kōsei [Iskandar]
    ARENA 17: Naruse Jun [Endō Saya]
    ARENA 18: Yurizaki Mira [Abstained] Satonaka Chie

    "Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

  18. #52358
    ARENA 01: Isshiki Iroha [Shiraishi Urara]
    ARENA 02: [Shirayuki] Kaname Madoka
    ARENA 03: [Kurousagi] Aisaka Taiga
    ARENA 04: [Shirai Kuroko] Furukawa Nagisa
    ARENA 05: Sanzen'in Nagi [Sakura Chiyo]
    ARENA 06: [Tedeza Rize] Minami Kotori
    ARENA 07: [Nishikino Maki] Tōjō Nozomi
    ARENA 08: Aragaki Ayase [Nakiri Erina]
    ARENA 09: [Saitama] Kisaragi Shintarō
    ARENA 10: Bell Cranel [Isana Yashiro]
    ARENA 11: [Leonardo Watch] Okabe Rintarō
    ARENA 12: Yukine [Abstained] Akasaka Ryūnosuke
    ARENA 13: Matsuno Ichimatsu [Okazaki Tomoya]
    ARENA 14: Amagiri Ayato [Zen Wistalia]
    ARENA 15: [Itami Yōji] Kaneki Ken
    ARENA 16: Arima Kōsei [Abstained] Iskandar
    ARENA 17: Naruse Jun [Endō Saya]
    ARENA 18: [Yurizaki Mira] Satonaka Chie

  19. #52359
    ARENA 01: [Isshiki Iroha] Shiraishi Urara
    ARENA 02: [Shirayuki] Kaname Madoka
    ARENA 03: Kurousagi [Aisaka Taiga]
    ARENA 04: Shirai Kuroko [Furukawa Nagisa]
    ARENA 05: Sanzen'in Nagi [Sakura Chiyo]
    ARENA 06: [Tedeza Rize] Minami Kotori
    ARENA 07: [Nishikino Maki] Tōjō Nozomi
    ARENA 08: Aragaki Ayase [Nakiri Erina]
    ARENA 09: [Saitama] Kisaragi Shintarō
    ARENA 10: [Bell Cranel] Isana Yashiro
    ARENA 11: Leonardo Watch [Okabe Rintarō]
    ARENA 12: [Yukine] Akasaka Ryūnosuke
    ARENA 13: Matsuno Ichimatsu [Okazaki Tomoya]
    ARENA 14: Amagiri Ayato [Zen Wistalia]
    ARENA 15: [Itami Yōji] Kaneki Ken
    ARENA 16: Arima Kōsei [Iskandar]
    ARENA 17: [Naruse Jun] Endō Saya
    ARENA 18: [Yurizaki Mira] Satonaka Chie

  20. #52360
    The Lightbringer Artorius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Natal, Brazil
    Posts
    3,781
    ARENA 01: Isshiki Iroha [Abstained] Shiraishi Urara
    ARENA 02: [Shirayuki] Kaname Madoka
    ARENA 03: Kurousagi [Aisaka Taiga]
    ARENA 04: Shirai Kuroko [Abstained] Furukawa Nagisa
    ARENA 05: Sanzen'in Nagi [Abstained] Sakura Chiyo
    ARENA 06: Tedeza Rize [Abstained] Minami Kotori
    ARENA 07: [Nishikino Maki] Tōjō Nozomi
    ARENA 08: Aragaki Ayase [Nakiri Erina]
    ARENA 09: [Saitama] Kisaragi Shintarō
    ARENA 10: [Bell Cranel] Isana Yashiro
    ARENA 11: Leonardo Watch [Okabe Rintarō]
    ARENA 12: [Yukine] Akasaka Ryūnosuke
    ARENA 13: Matsuno Ichimatsu [Abstained] Okazaki Tomoya
    ARENA 14: Amagiri Ayato [Zen Wistalia]
    ARENA 15: Itami Yōji [Kaneki Ken]
    ARENA 16: [Arima Kōsei] Iskandar
    ARENA 17: Naruse Jun [Endō Saya]
    ARENA 18: Yurizaki Mira [Abstained] Satonaka Chie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •