Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    You know it.
    I accidentally dubbed on Your Name.

Whoops.

Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan – Tsuioku-hen (Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal) – 7.5-8/10

Note: Trying an “off the cuff” format in which I focus less on a comprehensive summary of the series in favor of the big idea(s) that impressed me.

Despite Rurouni Kenshin being one of my introductory anime many years ago, I never got around to Samurai X. I didn’t watch it then because I was disturbed by its graphic violence, and later on when I became (regrettably) more jaded I never returned. Finding myself with some time, I decided to see what I missed out on years ago.

Samurai X reminded me how much I appreciated the candidness of Rurouni Kenshin’s message: violence is appalling, and inevitably begets more violence. Even if Kenshin is an admirable swordsman, it never loses sight of how terrible his path is. The fights are short and brutal where the goal is to murder the opponent and escape. Swords eviscerating torsos, piercing necks, and being driven like spikes through the throat and up out the skull are common moves. There is no honor, just blood in the dark.

Coupled with this is a simple appreciation of how idealism can go awry. Kenshin doesn’t descend into the chaos to become a hitman, to revel in killing. He does so because he feels acutely the suffering of the people. He himself was nearly slaughtered and was only saved by the grace of Seijiro Hiko; he wants to be that person to all of Japan now, protecting its people against the predations of the violent and powerful. It is only later when the fallout of his actions, the collateral suffering of the fallen, comes back to remind him of the true price.* It is similar to a Greek tragedy, where the great character of a man is what precipitates his inevitable fate, with the greatest falling all the harder.

However, there is a refreshing optimism despite this. Kenshin’s story doesn’t end in irredeemable failure. The monumental suffering brought on by his mistakes is palpable; he is scarred both inside and out by his actions. But he doesn’t succumb to evil, his passage through darkness serving to guide him in the future.

Kenshin is also not the only good person in this world. The women who protect him are compassionate, willing to use their own bodies to guard the future of an unknown child. Seijiro Hiko is a thoughtful and principled master. He may not have the bleeding heart Kenshin does, but he is wise in his own way. Even Tomoe can be viewed in a positive light. Her appreciation for Kenshin’s inherent kindness overcomes her hatred, even if it is late.*

This mixture of horror and hope is refreshing to me, as it is lacking in many anime. So often series seek to coddle their viewers, guarding them from unpleasantness. Even if the worst happens, it is mitigated, fixed in a final burst of magical goodness. Or, seeking to escape from this childlike safety, they plunge to the opposite extreme, sinking into faithless despondency. Kenshin’s story defies both of these extremes and offers more: a true story of redemption.

p.s. I tried to watch the Rurouni Kenshin anime after this out of nostalgia’s sake. I was…sorely disappointed one episode in. Better to leave that in the pleasant past.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post

My teammate left in Lucioball Competitive, and my other teammate followed when he didn't come back in time. Managed to hold them off for a minute and score a goal, winning the game.

I think I have peaked
    10/10 .

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I accidentally dubbed on Your Name.

Whoops.
    Ewwwww dubs :P

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post

This anime is on a lot of people's top 10 list and it's on mine too. It's basically a samurai story but it's really well done.

In the first or second scene of the first episode, the boy is saved by a sword master. One of the bandits says "what's your name?" Even though he faced a dozen bandits the sword master says, "it's pointless to tell you, you'll all be dead soon." And that's the kind of story it is.

This one I recommend to people who don't like anime and they usually like it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    This anime is on a lot of people's top 10 list and it's on mine too. It's basically a samurai story but it's really well done.

In the first or second scene of the first episode, the boy is saved by a sword master. One of the bandits says "what's your name?" Even though he faced a dozen bandits the sword master says, "it's pointless to tell you, you'll all be dead soon." And that's the kind of story it is.

This one I recommend to people who don't like anime and they usually like it.
    It wasn't quite in my top 10, but it was a good show.

Your last sentence is something I'm going to have to consider: I've been thinking recently about anime series I would recommend to people who aren't into anime or just beginning. I feel like so often people recommend series they like, and don't realize how "anime" it is. Steins;Gate comes to mind as a prime example. It's a great show, really fun, but also weird for newcomers with its maid girl, trap, and other design decisions. If we end up redoing the OP this could become more relevant.

@Sesto

This is important.

How many grails will we have by the time Mordred comes out. I decided I need to get her to level 100 immediately.

Figured it out. 6 by my count when London releases with Mordred. I want to max her immediately, so I'm going to make sure I have everything farmed up before she releases.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2017-08-15 at 02:31 AM.

Your last sentence is something I'm going to have to consider: I've been thinking recently about anime series I would recommend to people who aren't into anime or just beginning. I feel like so often people recommend series they like, and don't realize how "anime" it is. Steins;Gate comes to mind as a prime example. It's a great show, really fun, but also weird for newcomers with its maid girl, trap, and other design decisions. If we end up redoing the OP this could become more relevant.
    It may be interesting to create a list more specifically for newcomers and/or people who have no experience with the medium. More realistic entry points are quite often the feature-length anime and often Mamoru Oshi's shows/movies that come to my mind:

Ghost In The Shell
    Patlabor
    Jin-Roh
    Akira
    Cowboy Bebop
    Zankyou no Terror
    Ninja Scroll
    One Punch Man

Fairy tail dragon cry was decent. Seemed like they enhanced the bust sizes a bit compared to my memory

A re-haul of the OP would be welcomed. Anecdotally, I did check out the OP a few times when I was a new poster, but didn't find it too helpful. Categorization and some sense of organization would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    @Sesto

This is important.

How many grails will we have by the time Mordred comes out. I decided I need to get her to level 100 immediately.

Figured it out. 6 by my count when London releases with Mordred. I want to max her immediately, so I'm going to make sure I have everything farmed up before she releases.
    Yeah, 6.

By the time we reach London mats will have already become a bit easier to come by because of all the events. Obviously you'll still need to farm mats for skills, but ascension costs generally become less of a big deal. When I rolled Mordred on the day she was released, I just grinded xp dailies with golden apples (which also become more frequent) to get her to 90 in a single day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Yeah, 6.

By the time we reach London mats will have already become a bit easier to come by because of all the events. Obviously you'll still need to farm mats for skills, but ascension costs generally become less of a big deal. When I rolled Mordred on the day she was released, I just grinded xp dailies with golden apples (which also become more frequent) to get her to 90 in a single day.
    I kinda spent the past bit making a chart for myself.

How'd I do.

Sadly, looking at the events from now until London there are some good freebies, but I'd still have to farm a fair bit, though those also account for getting skills maxed, which will eat up a lot. I should easily have enough to ascend her though.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2017-08-15 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    It may be interesting to create a list more specifically for newcomers and/or people who have no experience with the medium. More realistic entry points are quite often the feature-length anime and often Mamoru Oshi's shows/movies that come to my mind:

Ghost In The Shell
    Patlabor
    Jin-Roh
    Akira
    Cowboy Bebop
    Zankyou no Terror
    Ninja Scroll
    One Punch Man
    Two more series that come to mind are FMA: Brotherhood and Haibane Renmei. Both clearly have Western-inspired settings that feel a little more natural. The first is engaging, with a clear plot, solid characters, and fun action. It has some out-take faces and such, but in low doses. The second is not quite for everybody, but it doesn't feel terribly "anime" in the normal sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post

Ghost In The Shell
    Patlabor
    Jin-Roh
    Akira
    Cowboy Bebop
    Zankyou no Terror
    Ninja Scroll
    One Punch Man
    Or do it like I did and start with Kill la Kill, Nichijou and Spice and Wolf.

I'm not sure if I'd agree on all of those as unconditional beginner anime since tastes differ from person to person. If I had to make some picks that haven't already been brought up it'd be:
    Kids on the Slope
    Shinsekai Yori
    Samurai Champloo
    Planetes
    Baccano
    Psycho Pass
    91 Days
    Shirobako
    Ergo Proxy
    Mushishi

Finally got around to watch Miss Kobayashi's Dragon maid. Liked it, while most of the side characters are mostly one note humor, Kobayashi herself was a very interesting character to watch grow a into a more social person and into a parent even. I do wish it was more kids friendly, because its something i wish i could show my kids. Its just serious enough to get its messages across, but silly enough to be feels good, which i always think is a very good combination for young children, too bad all the bouncing animated tits are a bit over the top sometimes lol. Which is a shame, because im not prude or anything, the shower stuff with Torhu and Kobayashi id have no problem having them watch it, because its not just sexual fan services, but some of the other stuff is a little too much lol.

Psycho-Pass: After finishing a recent batch of aired shows, I decided to focus my attention towards shows that definitely attracted my attention. This is really fucking good so far; after episode 6 and I'm sold. Hopefully it can keep the pace up.

Tsurezure children - Enjoy all the diabeetus if you aren't watching this yet. It's half episodes so easy to marathon.
    [CENTER]

Owari S2 is now top on MAL. Wonder how long that'll last.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Owari S2 is now top on MAL. Wonder how long that'll last.
    23.2 years .
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Finally got around to watch Miss Kobayashi's Dragon maid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    Tsurezure children - Enjoy all the diabeetus if you aren't watching this yet. It's half episodes so easy to marathon.
    2 series I still need to pick up.

Just marathoned S1 of New Game! which was incredibly enjoyable, though.