Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Toradora - 6/10 (fine)

Finished it last night. I really liked the comedy centric first half of the series, but the second half was getting too deep into oscar bait territory for me. I had to fast forward through quite a few scenes because it was too much.

"How dare you not admit you are in love with her!"
    "Oh my gosh, you admitted you're in love with her!
    You're the worst!" *runs away and starts crying*
    "go apologize for something you didn't do wrong man!".
    Me: WTH?

(also lots of 2deep4me monologuing)

That said, I'd place Toradora above its contemporaries, as it's not as pretentious as them (*cough* Haruhi (almost any KyoAni show) *cough* Monogatari *cough* Nagi no Asakura *cough* etc)
    You really need to stop using the term "oscar bait." Especially when you seem to consider any form of melodrama "oscar bait" which it absolutely isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Yeah, no. That's not what TVtropes and wikipedia says. So you're making up your own definition and tack it onto an already existing one.
    And why do you even watch these kinds of shows if you absolutely hate them? Do you really have nothing better to do?
    lol a dub watcher isn't going to read all that

Already proved to be an absolute brainlet by hating on Ami and not seeing the obvious meaningful connection between the two leads in favor of shipping a couple whose plot device feelings received next to no story development

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    lol a dub watcher isn't going to read all that

Already proved to be an absolute brainlet by hating on Ami and not seeing the obvious meaningful connection between the two leads in favor of shipping a couple whose plot device feelings received next to no story development
    Ami absolutely is a bitch. She reminds me a lot of my younger self, thinking they're so mature and smart and trying to "help" others and making "clever jokes" and waxing about life, but really they're just being an asshole. The problem is that the show tries to pass off her "advice" and "clever jokes" as absolutely true.

Ami absolutely is a bitch. She reminds me a lot of my younger self, thinking they're so mature and smart and trying to "help" others and making "clever jokes" and waxing about life, but really they're just being an asshole. The problem is that the show tries to pass off her "advice" and "clever jokes" as absolutely true.
    At this point it's a safe assumption you have these shows you watch on in the background and aren't paying attention to what's happening at all.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    At this point it's a safe assumption you have these shows you watch on in the background and aren't paying attention to what's happening at all.
    I paid attention to the fact Takasu clearly said "I've been in love with Minori for over a year"... and then within the span of one day he 180ed and wanted to elope with Taiga.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm all for eloping (I really liked the part in Weathering With You where they are on the run and struggling), but seriously that was way too fast. There was no built up romantic relationship between the two.

Plebs can't appreciate Ami as the best character in the show by a long shot.

Her interactions with the other characters were the most interesting. Yes, she was a bitch, but that facade covered the fact that she was lonely and frustrated with people in general. Watching her overcome her personal insecurities and actually befriend her classmates was more satisfying than anything else in the show, save the first part of the Christmas episode before Taiga cucked herself. Her comments about how Ryuuji and Taiga were being dishonest with themselves about their feelings about each other were spot-on, and she had fantastic general commentary about people. She didn't abide the bullshit and always had something interesting to say. Yes, she was fairly bitchy, but she was honest. Taiga and Minori spent the majority of the show lying to themselves or others about feelings, and created so much drama through plot-induced stupidity. Those two were unoriginal cookie-cutter characters that we've seen plenty of times before, while Ami was written well, as evidenced by how people like to argue about whether or not she was best/worst character.

Ami may not be likable, but she's the most interesting character from the show.
    Since cba to type it all out again. My search also brought up the post where you shipped Amarti and Holo. How anybody can have so many terrible opinions and be so clueless about what happens in shows is beyond me. Can't tell if you're dense or trolling

inb4 he says Oscar bait again

Since cba to type it all out again. My search also brought up the post where you shipped Amarti and Holo. How anybody can have so many terrible opinions and be so clueless about what happens in shows is beyond me. Can't tell if you're dense or trolling

inb4 he says Oscar bait again
    I felt like Lawrence and Holo were friends, but not lovers. Whereas while Amarti did come off as rather foolhardy, he was at least attracted to Holo, so there is half of the relationship right there. Can't say the same for Lawrence x Holo. If Lawrence was romantically interested in anyone, it was the shepherd girl (and she was into him too). So same situation: you have the show trying to tell me that the protagonist and deuteragonist are supposed to be an item, when I see no evidence of that, and in fact that they are shown to be more of an item with the sidecharacters.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess my other big problem with Toradora is that it isn't a good anime to watch.

It's a novel with a slideshow and voiceacting.

The strength of the Toradora anime is in the goofy animation during the comedy segments. But the drama isn't really engaging to watch. Setting aside whether or not one is invested in the characters and the story, the problem with the drama is that it's a lot of still shots of people standing around and talking. And static shots while Takasu monologues for three minutes about feelings. The Fate adaptations also suffer from this problem of feeling like a novel with a slideshow and voice acting, without the benefit of gag comedy to keep it visually interesting. There is a lot of standing around and expositing things or talking, with the occasional flashy battle.

I guess my other big problem with Toradora is that it isn't a good anime to watch.

It's a novel with a slideshow and voiceacting.
    So... it's an anime with several slideshows per second? You literally described animation in the most basic form.

Is this your worst attempt at "being a critic with snazzy phrases"?

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    So... it's an anime with several slideshows per second? You literally described animation in the most basic form.
    Anime adaptations of manga don't seem to suffer from this problem of people just standing around and talking on and on. Probably because 1. people general don't stand around and talk in manga (unless it's a Marvel comic from within the past 20 years, in which case yeah they do for 90% of the comic), and 2. the storyboarders had the manga panels to draw upon, so the screen is always filled with the characters doing something. Anime original series tend to vary depending on the imagination of the creators. If they can't be bothered, then you get stuff like Evangelion where people just stand around talking for minutes at a time with hardly any animation. If they're more imaginative, like Escaflowne, then the show isn't really structured that way and there is always stuff happening, which is the strength of the visual medium.

Anime adaptations of manga don't seem to suffer from this problem of people just standing around and talking on and on. Probably because 1. people general don't stand around and talk in manga (unless it's a Marvel comic from within the past 20 years, in which case yeah they do for 90% of the comic), and 2. the storyboarders had the manga panels to draw upon, so the screen is always filled with the characters doing something. Anime original series tend to vary depending on the imagination of the creators. If they can't be bothered, then you get stuff like Evangelion where people just stand around talking for minutes at a time with hardly any animation. If they're more imaginative, like Escaflowne, then the show isn't really structured that way and there is always stuff happening, which is the strength of the visual medium.
    You need stuff to have the depth of a puddle.

No wonder you watch dubs.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

You are just flat out wrong. Jesus christ

Anime adaptations of manga don't seem to suffer from this problem of people just standing around and talking on and on.
    you do realize tv shows do this shit all the time right? how is it even a problem? "OMG THE TWO CHARACTERS ARE TALKING TO EACH OTHER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    you do realize tv shows do this shit all the time right? how is it even a problem? "OMG THE TWO CHARACTERS ARE TALKING TO EACH OTHER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
    I don't have a problem with a few scenes of people standing around talking to each other. If the director/storyboarder/scene director is motivated enough and has creativity, they can make it very engaging, using different blocking and character movement and camera angles. But the anime I'm criticizing can't even be bothered to put a little energy into their plethora of standing around and talking scenes. When 50% of your show is characters standing around and talking, it better be visually interesting to watch. If it isn't, why didn't you just write a novel instead? Oh right, because it was a novel. So if you're adapting it, why can't you be bothered to actually adapt it and make it a good show to watch, not an audiobook I occasionally glance up at to see a static visual?

You seriously have the strangest complaints about media I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    lol confirmed it
    So if you're adapting it, why can't you be bothered to actually adapt it and make it a good show to watch, not an audiobook I occasionally glance up at to see a static visual?

He shipped Holo and Amarti how much more proof do you need that he's either a solid troll or an absolute moron

Infracted for flaming.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2020-10-29 at 09:04 PM.

Enough with the personal attacks. If a post is bad, report it. Otherwise ignore something and move on with your discussions.

If we ignored bad taste there wouldn't be anything to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Enough with the personal attacks. If a post is bad, report it. Otherwise ignore something and move on with your discussions.
    How the fuck is calling someones retarded takes retarded, a personal attack? unless.... you think the same way?
    Last edited by Epuration; 2020-10-30 at 01:57 AM.

Wait, world trigger is getting a new season. Wtf happened?