10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post

To finish up, I have a question for people: where do you imagine S&W taking place? I've always imagined either southern Germany or northern Italy given the names, but never could quite decide on which.
    I don't think it takes place in any particular place, it just takes place in time and that's all there is to it. Besides, I don't know enough about history to be able to place it in a country 500 years ago anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a great title for this week's episode of re:zero
    [CENTER]

The wise man's fear sub page 100 - Elodin is such a huge troll. Using Kvothe to break into Hemme's room, burn his robes,... Using it as a means to test/teach him. Also have a question about Denna, will her background at any point be revealed other than that her parents are dead and that she was supposed to have died as a baby?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    The wise man's fear sub page 100 - Elodin is such a huge troll. Using Kvothe to break into Hemme's room, burn his robes,... Using it as a means to test/teach him. Also have a question about Denna, will her background at any point be revealed other than that her parents are dead and that she was supposed to have died as a baby?
    There is a separate book about denna. I haven't read it, but the answer might be in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    Ugh, seriously contemplating reading the Orange manga. Episode one has me hooked already and the weekly wait is going to take its toll on me.
    It's a short read, but a really fantastic one. I almost wish I could un-read the manga just so I could experience this show week to week.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Do iiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!
    Though if you do read it, @Schirmy, you won't regret it. It's pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Madoka magica 9 RIP best girl
    She was best girl from her first appearance all the way to the last.
    W-what? Epuration displaying exquisite taste?

Well, I guess I'll kick off the Spice and Wolf rewatch discussion. I have seen this series before, and rewatched S1 in the last year or so with a friend, so these first episodes are fairly familiar to me.

S&W is one of the few series were most of the nudity doesn't bother me. I'm normally part of the Prude Police, but S&W just knows how to frame situations properly. A good demonstration of their conscious understanding of how to frame females is in the comparison between Chloe and Holo in the first episode. While Lawrence has no romantic inclinations toward Chloe, when she lies down on the hay and comments that she has grown up his eyes can't help but notice. The way they frame those shots and then cut to Lawrence's face clearly indicate that we're being treated to Lawrence's point of view, not just being given shots of a pretty girl for fan service reasons.

Later on when Holo is getting out of the cart she is stark naked but the way the situation is handled manages to keep it from feeling like it's just there for sex appeal. Her being naked is natural; she doesn't give a second thought to it and neither should we. The only compromising shot is yet another that is clearly from Lawrence's point of view: when she bends over to pick up the jerky and looking at her (nicely rounded) buttocks he notices that she has a tail. So the scene which could be a train wreck of bloody noses and shallow fan service manages to wordlessly demonstrate to us how Holo views her body and how we as the audience should as well.

One thing that is interesting to note is that later in the second episode when they are drying off in the inn Lawrence does become embarrassed at Holo being naked. At first I thought maybe this was inconsistent, since he didn't display any of this in episode one, but on further reflection I think it could be argued that he is becoming familiar with her as a person now. Even if she doesn't care, his maleness does.

Continuing on to Holo herself as a character, I've always had a very interesting time trying to pin her down. I know she is a fan favorite, but I don't think most people appreciate a simple fact that is stated in the first episode: Holo is Holo. She is her own personality that is not any particular trope and doesn't play to what people want. She is very old and experienced, despite appearances. However, she knows the effect her appearance has and smoothly abuses it to get what she wants. The only reason she isn't a villain is because what she wants is usually fairly basic (apples!) or more or less good-willed (helping Lawrence). In short, she is highly, but benignly, manipulative.

This is the reason that again, despite her popularity, I really don't think people appreciate how dangerous she is. Not in a "wolf eat you" way (although that is also true), but in the fact that in scene after scene she is content to play with Lawrence. To tease him, to excite his emotions, and then to stomp them. It's her pastime. This is somebody who is very adept at wearing a mask and only rarely lets what she thinks and feels through, instead pretending to be many different things and watching other people react. So in short, even though I admire Holo as a character I have never thought that she would be an amazing person to be with in real life.

To finish up, I have a question for people: where do you imagine S&W taking place? I've always imagined either southern Germany or northern Italy given the names, but never could quite decide on which.
    Well you nailed down Holo better than I ever could. Always loved her character but would hate to be her traveling companion because I'm not nearly as patient as Lawrence. I never really thought about the setting of S&W either, but it definitely has a European feel to it. The setting and music always kinda reminded me a bit of Final Fantasy 9 in a way, if you took away the more urban settings of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    It's a short read, but a really fantastic one. I almost wish I could un-read the manga just so I could experience this show week to week.
    I see, I see.

Though if you do read it, @Schirmy, you won't regret it. It's pretty damn good.
    Was this a lowkey pun? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Also @UnifiedDivide I don't think they mentioned it, I only know because I can't resist the black boxes :P
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    Was this a lowkey pun? :P
    maybe I typed it unintentionally then realized what I said and left it lol

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Orange 01 - They're doing a pretty good job at adapting this. I think the show looks pretty beautiful overall, though the colors are a bit too washed out. I feel less motivated to watch it than I expected. I didn't think reading the manga would impact my motivation this much.
    I feel the same way. I'm more driven by curiosity in regards to the adaptation quality than I am actually watching it. I think it's a great started though the art and animation feel inconsistent. I think once things pick up in the story my interest will pick up as well.

I'm also working a ton lately and haven't had the time to really sit back and watch anything without falling asleep or having to keep an eye on the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are people's opinions on Code Geass compared to Death Note (in how good each are)?

Asking for scientific study.

Rip iceland-chan

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    What are people's opinions on Code Geass compared to Death Note (in how good each are)?

Asking for scientific study.
    Spoilers for both ahead: I think Death Note starts better than most series, including Code Geass, but then goes horribly wrong. I don't think the series ever gets better than the first few arcs where he is getting rid of the FBI units in Japan and out-talking the woman to get her real name to murder her. With the introduction of the girl (forget her name) I felt like the series got a little weaker, and after L dies it just gets bad.

Code Geass I feel has a lower starting quality, marred by fan service and other mediocrities, but better maintains its level it through the entire series some some particular scenes being exceptional. Also I know this opinion is unpopular, but I think the ending is a train wreck. The whole Zero Requiem plan is incredibly stupid. However, I also accept that it isn't accompanied by a significant decrease in quality, per se; I just think the end makes no sense. Especially since there are several really quality scenes near the end, such as Obey Me World.

In the end, I evaluate Code Geass a bit higher simply for its consistency in delivery but if Death Note had been limited to a short series of just the first few episodes it would blow CG out of the water.

15+ Year Old Account
    france, slayer of memes

Deleted
    Madoka magica season 1 I don't know what to say. the OP was totally misleading. Red is best. kyubey is fucking great. time travel is OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the music is incredible.
    Oh, your first session with Madoka? Gotta love the OP. Fits the series perfectly. Now go watch Rebellion. Perhaps the other movies as well, they got gorgeous animation rework for some scenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    W-what? Epuration displaying exquisite taste?
    Excuse me, I have always had exquisite taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spoilers for both ahead: I think Death Note starts better than most series, including Code Geass, but then goes horribly wrong. I don't think the series ever gets better than the first few arcs where he is getting rid of the FBI units in Japan and out-talking the woman to get her real name to murder her. With the introduction of the girl (forget her name) I felt like the series got a little weaker, and after L dies it just gets bad.

Code Geass I feel has a lower starting quality, marred by fan service and other mediocrities, but better maintains its level it through the entire series some some particular scenes being exceptional. Also I know this opinion is unpopular, but I think the ending is a train wreck. The whole Zero Requiem plan is incredibly stupid. However, I also accept that it isn't accompanied by a significant decrease in quality, per se; I just think the end makes no sense. Especially since there are several really quality scenes near the end, such as Obey Me World.

In the end, I evaluate Code Geass a bit higher simply for its consistency in delivery but if Death Note had been limited to a short series of just the first few episodes it would blow CG out of the water.
    Death Note never really got me. The start was slow, the characters were terrible, the animation was bad, and it was pretty cringy. I never got that with the beginning of Code Geass, which starts off insane, with a purging of slums, hunting of terrorists, and other large battles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Oh, your first session with Madoka? Gotta love the OP. Fits the series perfectly. Now go watch Rebellion. Perhaps the other movies as well, they got gorgeous animation rework for some scenes.
    is it all new stuff or like gurren laggan, I still haven't been able to sit through the whole movie because I don't enjoy watching re used shit.

Deleted
    is it all new stuff or like gurren laggan, I still haven't been able to sit through the whole movie because I don't enjoy watching re used shit.
    First two movies are a recap, but with many scenes completely redone from the ground up in new, gorgeous animation. Rebellion is a direct sequel, completely new from the start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Re:Zero 14 - mfw the episode ended

This week, Subaru really was obnoxious. He's in dire need for some character development now and he's surely going to get it. I honestly expected him to die and not Rem, but he will die soon, I guess. Rem still best, even in death. I also really like Crusch and I don't know why, but she really makes me want to listen to Conan.
    I thought it was really interesting how those hooded guys bowed to him before dispersing while he was heading to the town/mansion

Wasn't it super obvious?

well looks like france x germany is the next pairing