10+ Year Old Account
    Hanayamata is my third finished show this week. The cliche of school club mixed with idol group, except instead it's dancing. Even being well aware of all that throughout, still quite enjoyed it. Follows the Love Live trend of start an episode with some comedy, inject a conflict, have a tearful conclusion. Show has pretty visuals and good music, though it kind of has to. Thank Madhouse for that. Part of the reason I picked it from my watchlist was I was trying to get more shows from them, since Sora Yori was the only one so far that I've enjoyed. Also, American main character is interesting. And easy shipping fodder of a show. They make it so easy.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-04-19 at 09:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    If you're ever having a bad day, just watch this for a little while.
    I prefer this loli.dance

10+ Year Old Account
    Steins gate 0 -- Ep 2. Makes me wonder if this series will even have time travel.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Misjudged Maaanwell View Post
    im not a weeb. just some guy who's bored an out of novellas to watch.
    :concern:
    Denial is the first step though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Steins gate 0 -- Ep 2. Makes me wonder if this series will even have time travel.
    Yes, but not in the same way Steins;Gate had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I'm hoping it won't - it's the part I disliked most in Stein's Gate.
    @JesterJoe Well, fuck...

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    I'm hoping it won't - it's the part I disliked most in Stein's Gate.
    @JesterJoe Well, fuck...
    To be fair...they could end up completely cutting it out. It's hard to tell, Steins;Gate 0 was FAR looser of a visual novel than Steins;gate was.
    Steins;Gate was set up rigid, as in "You do y, you get x ending"
    Steins;Gate 0 was "you need to y, to get x ending, so you can now get z ending also"

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Still have the OP for this on my phone.
    I love it, added it to my list immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    [IMG]https://78.media.tumblr.com/664d4be95efd9a7f92bebfe738b30393/tumblr_o63wynYhoC1ta7pubo1_540.gif[IMG]
    Forgot to warn you. You said you were waiting for the season to end to binge shows over watching them week by week. Probably not a good idea to binge Sora Yori. You might dehydrate quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Comic Girls 3: Made me genuinely laugh, and can't go wrong with some fan service and possible yuri.

Well, it looks once I've finished Stardust Crusaders part 2, I'll have run out of all the interesting of the past ten years to watch. There's Gundam the Origin and Bacaano, but they aren't legally available, so it may be a long time before I get around to them. While I like MHA and Steins;Gate, I'm going to just wait until they have at least a dozen episodes or so before I sit down and binge them. Otherwise, it seems I'll finally start going through the classics that have stood the test of time and are upheld to this day, namely Rose of Versailles, LoGH, Rurouni Kenshin, Bacaano, Gintama, and Mushishi.

I think the problem is that modern anime is so homogenized; almost every anime that has come out over the past ten years seems to be a variation on the same archetypes, same narratives, same dialogue, same cinematography, same musical score, and overall just the same ideas rehashed over and over. It's really starting to grate on me, so hopefully watching these classics from other eras will act as a palette cleanser. It also helps that they are very different from what is the norm nowadays, from what I've heard. If they're different in the same vein as Gankutsuou and Seirei no Moribito, then the next few months will be fantastic.

... Unless tomorrow's announcements unveils another sequel to an old Gundam series, in which case I'll have to binge that series in its entirety ASAP. One day left!

- - - Updated - - -

What classics are you interested in, but simply haven't gotten around to watching them yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    What classics are you interested in, but simply haven't gotten around to watching them yet?
    Older shows still on my watchlist:

Chobits
    Fruits Basket
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Fushigi Yugi
    Nana
    Ranma 1/2

I don't know what technically qualifies, but those are all older and popular shows I have yet to see but plan to.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-04-20 at 06:43 AM.

It suddenly crossed my mind with Steins;Gate 0 getting the anime opening officially with episode 2, that people might not have seen the visual novel opening.

So I'll just drop it here on that note.

Just watched the first five episodes of Rose of Versailles

Wow, this is legitimately great, 8/10 material already! The paneled cinematography, abstract scenes, and varying color palettes make for an incredibly engaging show to watch, not to mention the compelling storyline and excellent pacing. The opening has become one of my new favorites. My only gripe is that the music is a little too ambient, with no distinctive themes or leitmotifs, but that's okay. The series actually works best with the minimalistic use of music, with it being used to punctuate events.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Still have the OP for this on my phone.
    it is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Hanayamata is my third finished show this week. The cliche of school club mixed with idol group, except instead it's dancing. Even being well aware of all that throughout, still quite enjoyed it. Follows the Love Live trend of start an episode with some comedy, inject a conflict, have a tearful conclusion. Show has pretty visuals and good music, though it kind of has to. Thank Madhouse for that. Part of the reason I picked it from my watchlist was I was trying to get more shows from them, since Sora Yori was the only one so far that I've enjoyed. Also, American main character is interesting. And easy shipping fodder of a show. They make it so easy.

Unicorn 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Hinamatsuri ep -3 This show is very very close now to dragon maid in storytelling and style. Only diference is that there are psyhics instead of dragons.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem is that modern anime is so homogenized; almost every anime that has come out over the past ten years seems to be a variation on the same archetypes, same narratives, same dialogue, same cinematography, same musical score, and overall just the same ideas rehashed over and over. It's really starting to grate on me, so hopefully watching these classics from other eras will act as a palette cleanser. It also helps that they are very different from what is the norm nowadays, from what I've heard. If they're different in the same vein as Gankutsuou and Seirei no Moribito, then the next few months will be fantastic.
    This is probably the stupidest thing I've heard all week. Where the fuck are you even coming from? It's not like you have watched enough anime to give at least some credibility to what you said. Are you just repeating shit you've heard from shitty 'anime youtuber' like digibro?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the first five episodes of Rose of Versailles

Wow, this is legitimately great, 8/10 material already! The paneled cinematography, abstract scenes, and varying color palettes make for an incredibly engaging show to watch, not to mention the compelling storyline and excellent pacing. The opening has become one of my new favorites. My only gripe is that the music is a little too ambient, with no distinctive themes or leitmotifs, but that's okay. The series actually works best with the minimalistic use of music, with it being used to punctuate events.

Why don't you try watching a different type of anime instead of looking for anime similar to one anime you liked.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Unicorn 2
    There seems to be three different Gundam things happening:

A new story following survivors of the Sydney colony drop who become MS pilots.

A sequel to Gundam Unicorn

A new "UC 2" event. It is quite ambiguous as to what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    This is probably the stupidest thing I've heard all week. Where the fuck are you even coming from? It's not like you have watched enough anime to give at least some credibility to what you said. Are you just repeating shit you've heard from shitty 'anime youtuber' like digibro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    What a load of horseshit. How often do you update your MAL btw? Because you haven't watched the shows you masturbate about.
    ???

I'm talking about getting tired of the same style of stories I usually see in anime as of late. I'm going back to look at the older, different stories that stand out to today's.

I watch Digibro, mainly for what he notices in a show such as the 10 killer cuts in Evangelion, or the different types of fanservice. Otherwise, I don't share the same tastes as him. At least he's not as stuck up as Mother's Basement. Digi can actually articulate why he likes or dislikes a show in a time efficient manner, and then move on with life. MB constantly keeps bringing up the same dead horse without actually adding anything to it.

"Shows I masturbate about"? What? I'm anticipating shows that I've heard were in the same vein as Gaknutsuou and Seirei no Moribito.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Why don't you try watching a different type of anime instead of looking for anime similar to one anime you liked.
    My point exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBCmgj8kKeQ"]it is good[URL]

[URL="https://i.imgur.com/lbWJU6M.jpg"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/EQ8bDpt.jpg[IMG][URL]

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

15+ Year Old Account
    ???

I'm talking about getting tired of the same style of stories I usually see in anime as of late. I'm going back to look at the older, different stories that stand out to today's.
    What is so hard to understand? My point is you're retarded for saying "almost every anime that has come out over the past ten years seems to be a variation on the same archetypes, same narratives, same dialogue, same cinematography, same musical score, and overall just the same ideas rehashed over and over." Making a blanket statement like that is fucking dumb when you don't even have much experience with the medium, you're the equivalent of a dude who read a few novels and suddenly thinks he's an experienced literary critic.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can get your point across and disagree with others without insulting them. Please refrain from doing so.