I'm up to episode 115 of Hunter x Hunter, where Gon is about to kill Pitou, and so far the critically acclaimed Chimera Ant arc has been lackluster. Outside of a handful of moments (as opposed to entire episodes or at least, scenes), the show has failed to live up to the raw excitement and intriguing characterizations of the Hunter exam arc. Up until a few episodes ago, the villains were entirely flat, with only the King and Pouf being remotely interesting, and nowhere near as much as Hisoka and Chrollo. The narration was somewhat interesting at first, but quickly became an overused gimmick and feels like it belongs to pad the episodes. It doesn't help that the show keeps reusing Hegemony of the Food Chain every ten minutes for every single fight in the arc thus far, it's overuse having led to an otherwise amazing song losing its luster. Yes, the Chairman vs the King and Gon's infamous rage will probably be amazing scenes to behold, but at this point, it doesn't matter whether or not the rest of the arc is "where the show becomes amazing". Forty episodes of just "okay" to "fine" doesn't make for a compelling arc, and the arc as a whole can't be redeemed by a handful of good ones.

Standout moments so far:
    Pazu and friends investigating the crisis in the NGL.
    Knov infiltrating the palace.
    The King ripping his arm off and Pouf going crazy.
    The Chairman's and Zeno's initial assault on the palace.
    Pouf finding the destroyed throne room and going crazy.

That's it.

Well, time to watch the supposed "good part" of the "best arc" in shounen anime. Tomorrow.

^why you shouldn't watch all those shitty anime youtube videos

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh. I always thought the York Shin city arc was considered the best arc of HxH. I actually think the Chimera Ant arc is my least favorite arc of the series. Every other arc is either more interesting (Tower of Heaven, York Shin, Election) or more fun (Hunter Exam, Greed Island). I do like the way the Chimera Ant arc handles the idea of earned power vs. unearned power, but overall I think it is a little long and bloated and the Chimera Ants just are not all that interesting as adversaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post

10+ Year Old Account

I guess yogi-oh is getting more realistic now. Probaly via a phone tehnology.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    New overlord EP:
    http://shrani.si/f/29/yP/1eguVoP6/ov...pisode-8-o.png

They did it, they animated the part that would people cenzor.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Huh. I always thought the York Shin city arc was considered the best arc of HxH. I actually think the Chimera Ant arc is my least favorite arc of the series. Every other arc is either more interesting (Tower of Heaven, York Shin, Election) or more fun (Hunter Exam, Greed Island). I do like the way the Chimera Ant arc handles the idea of earned power vs. unearned power, but overall I think it is a little long and bloated and the Chimera Ants just are not all that interesting as adversaries.
    The Chimera ant arc is what made me drop HxH like a hot potato.

It was absolute trash, especially if you read it at the time when it was coming out, a lot of clear quality drops, half drawn chapters, and just nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The Chimera ant arc is what made me drop HxH like a hot potato.

It was absolute trash, especially if you read it at the time when it was coming out, a lot of clear quality drops, half drawn chapters, and just nonsensical.
    Indeed. It really doesn't help that the pacing here is atrocious. Previously, it felt as if the story progressed at least every other episode. You couldn't go one episode during the Hunter Exam arc without the character's building their character, deepening their relationships, making definitive progress towards their next goal, and discovering the next part of the plot. As of episode 121, we apparently just spent the last eleven episodes on an incredibly drawn out battle, only for all of that time to mean nothing as the villains escape and the King was already separated from his guard long ago. Eleven episodes where nothing has been achieved and the plot hasn't progressed past the start of the battle. What makes it even more frustrating is that episodes 110 through 121 could've been compressed into two episodes, three at the most. I have yet to have seen an actually bad episode of HxH, and I think I never will, but oh man do these latest episodes feel disappointingly hollow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu has a confirmed air date. Can't wait.

I finally watched A Silent Voice yesterday. Initial rating is 8.5. So, this movie deals a lot with serious issues. Mainly bullying and suicide. To be honest, I expected the bullying parts to affect me more. I guess I'm old enough now that I just don't understand it. All I could think is "why are these dumbasses acting like dumbasses?" The suicide stuff got me way harder. Something a lot of people have had to deal with in some way unfortunately, including myself. Something that kind of transcends age or generation. So I feel for a wide audience, that part would be more easily relateable. But if you're not affected by that, you may not enjoy this movie as well as others. The characters are all very well written. I found myself relating to Shouya way too much. In terms of his antisocial behavior and his self-loathing. NOT the bullying part. Really, there is something in pretty much every character that I could relate to. Except one. And I won't say who it is, but I will say that despite this show dealing with suicide, one character probably needed to be offed at some point. The dub itself is amazingly voiced. A couple people I'm familiar with, but largely a cast I'm not. Obviously not familiar with Lexi Marman Cowden, who voiced Shouko. She did an amazing job. As did everyone.

So what was wrong with this movie then? The plot moves incredibly fast. Scenes move by quicker than they should, and some things are just left unexplained or understated. I felt like this might have been flawless if it were a single cour show. But as a standalone movie, there was way too much trying to be told to fit it all in. Some characters seemed like afterthoughts, notably Miyoko. But this didn't feel like it detracted from the enjoyment of the story as much as others have, like Charlotte. But it could have been told at a much better pace. Also the story felt a bit incomplete. An issue dealing with Shouko didn't really have a resolution. The immediate ending actually felt a bit odd. Despite all that, highly enjoyed it. Beautiful animation from prime KyoAni, a great story, and memorable characters.

I'm also 14 episodes into Kimi ni Todoke (out of...37), which so far, I'll say is my favorite romance show not named Toradora.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-08-28 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    [IMG]https://78.media.tumblr.com/33648735fee22076b98dd01eb72b18b8/tumblr_oc6l9jtI5E1t3uwllo1_500.gif[IMG]

overlord s3 ep 8 are we the baddies? rip arche, cute anime grills deserve headpats not merciful deaths. the little sisters at the end was a bit sad. I was hoping papa bones would tell them he was momon to really fuck with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to bad manga is not translated yet past last season. (only to the part of a butler and new maid)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Indeed. It really doesn't help that the pacing here is atrocious. Previously, it felt as if the story progressed at least every other episode. You couldn't go one episode during the Hunter Exam arc without the character's building their character, deepening their relationships, making definitive progress towards their next goal, and discovering the next part of the plot. As of episode 121, we apparently just spent the last eleven episodes on an incredibly drawn out battle, only for all of that time to mean nothing as the villains escape and the King was already separated from his guard long ago. Eleven episodes where nothing has been achieved and the plot hasn't progressed past the start of the battle. What makes it even more frustrating is that episodes 110 through 121 could've been compressed into two episodes, three at the most. I have yet to have seen an actually bad episode of HxH, and I think I never will, but oh man do these latest episodes feel disappointingly hollow.
    Well part of the reason the Hunter Exam arc moved so quickly was it was pretty condensed for the 2011 anime. I am guessing they didn't want to loose people who had already seen the 1999 anime so moved as quickly as they could have through the set-up parts of the series. In fact, this lead to my one biggest complaint about the 2011 anime, the fact that Kite was removed from the start of the series. In both the manga and the 1999 anime, it is Kite who shows up on Gon's island and tells him about his father and gives him his father's Hunters Licence and it is this act that sets Gon off on his journey to become a hunter and find his father. I mean, they kinda squeezed that into the series at the end of Greed Island, but it really lacked the emotional impact of their reunion in the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Except one. And I won't say who it is, but I will say that despite this show dealing with suicide, one character probably needed to be offed at some point.
    Ueno was the best and most realistic character. There's nothing wrong with disliking somebody for using their disability as a crutch. Other than that, read the manga. The movie was decent, but it was worse than the manga in every way, save the movie cutting out the movie-making plot. All of your complaints on the movie are addressed in the source.

We also won't make fun of you for reading it in English.

10+ Year Old Account
    FULL op:

Translation in english:
    1 2 3 4
    We are cells at work
    1 2 3 4
    We are at work Fuu!

Today I'll also transport the Oxygen, Oxygen
    Through corner to corner throughout the body
    However, in this vastity, I always get lost and lost
    I'm being helped by cells at work
    Alright, let's go!

I will work! We will work!
    We are working every day, every day Ooh!

Today I'll also eliminate and remove the germs
    The bacteriophages are also coming..No way!
    I absolutely won't let them run around and around
    I'm a professional at work
    Alright, let's go!

I will work! We will work!
    We are working every day, every day Ooh!

Alone between 37 trillion people
    When are we be able to see each other again?

For someone (For someone)
    Try hard (Try hard)
    You and I are working frantically
    For everyone (For everyone)
    We are risking our lives (We are risking our lives)
    Keep the pride - Healthy・Peaceful・Livable・Superb

Work? Work.
    Work? Work!
    Work!!

15+ Year Old Account
    i'm so close to being a 10 year member guys

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    i'm so close to being a 10 year member guys
    Ban him with fire.
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Really, there is something in pretty much every character that I could relate to. Except one. And I won't say who it is, but I will say that despite this show dealing with suicide, one character probably needed to be offed at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Ueno was the best and most realistic character. There's nothing wrong with disliking somebody for using their disability as a crutch.
    I bet it was Kawai.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are not a jojo fan you already failed: