10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ans...-02-04/.142964

Pretty interesting article about the voice acting scene and the role VAs play in it.
    It always surprises me how people view industries like this and think some people are far more important than they actually are. Voice actors especially are a dime a dozen and many barely make ends meet they get paid so little. Taking bit roles in B Hollywood movies would probably pay better.

And like the article said, executives couldn't care less who a VA is as long as they don't harm their profit margins, and having stories like this come out, true or not, means it's better to just completely cut ties with the person instead of risking anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    It always surprises me how people view industries like this and think some people are far more important than they actually are. Voice actors especially are a dime a dozen and many barely make ends meet they get paid so little. Taking bit roles in B Hollywood movies would probably pay better.

And like the article said, executives couldn't care less who a VA is as long as they don't harm their profit margins, and having stories like this come out, true or not, means it's better to just completely cut ties with the person instead of risking anything.
    Like this,
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...y-cast/.142946
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

mob psycho s2 ep 5 wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Funny Fullmetal Alchemist Comic
    what year is this.robinwilliams

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    You don't think a middle-aged man kissing underage girls in a seductive manner (and without their consent) is creepy?
    I don't want to add too much more to this but his behaviour is consistent with behaviour for grooming
    Last edited by bals; 2019-02-05 at 07:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Millhi View Post
    Hah, that's hilarious.

His career is essentially over, whether people side with him or not. Knowing how fragile keeping dub casts together is, they'll probably replace him for other recurring roles as well.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah, that's hilarious.

His career is essentially over, whether people side with him or not. Knowing how fragile keeping dub casts together is, they'll probably replace him for other recurring roles as well.
    RWBY sucks tho.

Nothing wrong with RWBY.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    RWBY sucks tho.
    Don't you dare badmouth Weiss, or Ruby, or Blake, or Pyrrha, or Nora.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a coworker that was sperging to me about anime recommend me RWBY the other day.

I told him I would watch it.

I lied to him.

I had a coworker that was sperging to me about anime recommend me RWBY the other day.

I told him I would watch it.

I lied to him.
    Lying is bad.

The first three seasons are somewhat entertaining. RWBY was fun when it was just a bunch of kids messing around at school. After S3, the show could never live up to the expectations it had set for itself, transitioning into another typical epic road trip adventure to gather the dragon balls and save the world, and it fails miserably at it. Seasons 4-6 is just people standing around, talking about FEELINGS and plot devices. The pacing is rather atrocious; the events of seasons 4, 5, and 6 could honestly all be condensed down into one season.

I only stuck around to see Atlas, but the last season shat on Atlas and given how they've handled the worldbuilding for the entirety of show, I do not expect Atlas' culture, politics, or geography to be fleshed out beyond a couple of matte paintings and maybe an offhand statement that "THEY HIRE FAUNAS FOR MENIAL LABOR AND ARE SLAVERS!" and "KEEPING YOUR BORDERS CLOSED IS BAD!". The fight choreography is hit or miss; everyone raves about how cool Monty Oum's action sequences were, but half of the time I couldn't tell what was going on, and the existence of aura deflates tension because you know a single hit isn't going to change the outcome; everybody's safe until the writer decides that someone will take a hit that will drain their aura, so the real fight doesn't start until then. Vexed Viewer and Muffin Man Dan go more in depth breaking down the problems with the show, so I digress.

I think people are in love with the idea of RWBY, what with the thousands of fan fiction and the plethora of fanart out there, rather than the actual show itself. From what I've seen, the RWBY fandom doesn't have extensive discussions on the characters, examining the themes of the story, or speculation on the story on other series like Nartuo or MHA, which had the fanart and many discussions centered around the show/manga itself.

To clarify: the show isn't horrible; I at least enjoy it enough to have stuck around for six seasons. The art and animation looks nice and there are few moments I genuinely like every now and then, and I do look forward to seeing new and imaginative things and how they flesh out the adventure setting (like how the huntsmen hired to protect the train had remote control over the 'Train's various mechanisms, very cool and very sensible indeed). The Apathy as a conceptually terrifying monster over just another damage sponge was also incredibly cool, and I hope they do more of that. Even if Atlas isn't as developed as I had hoped, I'll still enjoy just looking at the Atlas aesthetic.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2019-02-07 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The first three seasons are somewhat entertaining. RWBY was fun when it was just a bunch of kids messing around at school. After S3, the show could never live up to the expectations it had set for itself, transitioning into another typical epic road trip adventure to gather the dragon balls and save the world, and it fails miserably at it. Seasons 4-6 is just people standing around, talking about FEELINGS and plot devices. The pacing is rather atrocious; the events of seasons 4, 5, and 6 could honestly all be condensed down into one season.

I only stuck around to see Atlas, but the last season shat on Atlas and given how they've handled the worldbuilding for the entirety of show, I do not expect Atlas' culture, politics, or geography to be fleshed out beyond a couple of matte paintings and maybe an offhand statement that "THEY HIRE FAUNAS FOR MENIAL LABOR AND ARE SLAVERS!" and "KEEPING YOUR BORDERS CLOSED IS BAD!". The fight choreography is hit or miss; everyone raves about how cool Monty Oum's action sequences were, but half of the time I couldn't tell what was going on, and the existence of aura deflates tension because you know a single hit isn't going to change the outcome; everybody's safe until the writer decides that someone will take a hit that will drain their aura, so the real fight doesn't start until then. Vexed Viewer and Muffin Man Dan go more in depth breaking down the problems with the show, so I digress.

I think people are in love with the idea of RWBY, what with the thousands of fan fiction and the plethora of fanart out there, rather than the actual show itself. From what I've seen, the RWBY fandom doesn't have extensive discussions on the characters, examining the themes of the story, or speculation on the story on other series like Nartuo or MHA, which had the fanart and many discussions centered around the show/manga itself.

To clarify: the show isn't horrible; I at least enjoy it enough to have stuck around for six seasons. The art and animation looks nice and there are few moments I genuinely like every now and then, and I do look forward to seeing new and imaginative things and how they flesh out the adventure setting (like how the huntsmen hired to protect the train had remote control over the 'Train's various mechanisms, very cool and very sensible indeed). The Apathy as a conceptually terrifying monster over just another damage sponge was also incredibly cool, and I hope they do more of that. Even if Atlas isn't as developed as I had hoped, I'll still enjoy just looking at the Atlas aesthetic.
    In other words, its just bad as Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Out of curiosity, you seem to have an issue with people in anime (or I assume any other media) talking about feelings and other similar things, why is that?
    Oh no, I don't have a problem with the concept of characters talking about feelings; I'm put off by poor execution, where it's shoved in your face in the most over-dramatic or pretentious way possible. KyoAni and P.A. Works are notorious offenders.

Nagi no Asukara season 2
    Friends reminiscing about their childhood days to Hans Zimmer's piano
    Chisaki: "Do you love Manaka, Hikari?"
    Hikari: "Hm..."
    Kaname: "Who do you love, Hikari?"
    Hikari: "I love Manaka."
    Chisaki: "How could you do that Hikari? You're terrible!"
    Chisaki bolts out of the school in tears
    Kaname: "WTH man!"
    Over dramatically sorrowful music starts playing

later on
    Hikari: Tsumugu, why are you so nice to Chisaki? No way you can just be her friend!
    Tsumugu: I can't say.
    Hikari: Then we'll fight!
    Hikari and Tsumugu wrestle, Chisaki notices and runs toward them
    Hikari: Tsumugu, why are you so nice to Chisaki?
    Tsumugu: Because I love her!
    Dramatic gasp, Chisaki drops her purse
    Chisaki: How could you!
    Sorrowful orchestral music starts playing
    Chisaki runs away in tears, jumps into icy cold water
    Tsumugu runs after her and jumps in but drowns
    The show thinks that this is a profound moment preceding a massive plot twist but I can't stop laughing

Manaka: Hiki, WAVE THE FLAG HIGH!

Kyoukai no Kanata
    Akihito: I'm useless; I can't contribute anything to my friends.
    Mirai: I'll help you!
    Akihito suffers what amounts to a flesh wound for reasons only tangentially related to his connection with Mirai
    Mirai: I'm useless; I just wanted to have friends but only caused them to get hurt!
    Mirai runs away, gets kidnapped by Mr. Evil
    Akihito: This is all my fault! If I had only told her that she wasn't useless she might've stayed!
    Sorrowful orchestra starts playing

Violet Evergarden
    Every episode
    Violet: Hello. I'm a 14 year old super soldier who killed hundreds of guys. I have no emotions. I do things clumsily. Where is the Major?
    Episode 7
    Violet: OH MY GOD I KILLED HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE, WHY AM I FEELING SO DEPRESSED?
    Oscar bait sorrowful orchestra starts playing

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Give us some examples of shows with drama you liked.

Seirei no Moribito

A 24 episode long, introspective story about a bodyguard in her thirties in fictional counterpart to Japan. She (Balsa) reluctantly decides to risk her life and take up the life of a fugitive as she defends a young prince, who is being hunted by his father for being possessed by a demon that will destroy the land. Sounds like just another adventure road-trip shounen series with the endgoal of gathering an army to overthrow the Emperor, right? Like Yona of the Dawn or Arslan Senki? Well no, Seirei no Moribito is rather lowkey. Balsa decides to hunker down with her friends and hide in plain sight as she tries to find peace with her backstory, the prince tries to prepare for the inevitable, and the protagonists learn that they must solemnly accept their responsibility, perhaps even sacrifice themselves for the land. Kenji Kawai composed the soundtrack, which means that it's worth watching for the music alone. Available on Netflix with a dub, which I would recommend.

========================================================================================== ===========

March Comes in like a Lion

An adaptation of the ongoing 3-Gatsu no Lion manga, which is in an introspective series about the life of a depressed shogi player. It's not actually about shogi; it's about people, and how he connects to them through shogi. To the series' credit, it's about to describe its metaphors so well through the use of abstract visualizations, that you do not need to know anything about shogi (or even chess) to be able to understand the feelings that are being conveyed. Currently has some forty-to-fiftyish episodes. The dialogue is quite dense, so if you're going to watch it subbed, be ready to rewind a lot.

========================================================================================== ===========

Rose of Versaillies

A 40 episode long anime set during the lead up to the French Revolution, as we follow the lives of the denizens of the royal palace. The first half of the series directed by Tadao Nagahama are gripping for their imagination and actually takes advantage of the fact that it is animated, meaning there is extensive use of abstract imagery. Think "3-Gatsu no Lion" in that regard. The second half of the series is directed by the conventional Osamu Dezaki, but the feeling of impending doom as the timeline slowly approaches doomsday keeps you gripped for the tragedy that is to come. Notable for its extensive use of pastel-chalk frames, which gives it a timeless feel. There are only subs available, but the density of the dialogue is pretty light, so you shouldn't have to rewind that much to understand what is being said.

Gankutsuou

A 24 episode long anime adaptation of the The Count of Monte Cristo, re-imagined with in a futuristic setting with wondrous technology that complements the extravagant French aristocracy era, and a perspective shift to a side a character that elevates the actions of the titular Count. Due to the perspective shift, the anime withholds information that you already knew in the book and keeps it as a mystery, so as to not spoil people who don't know either story, all I will say is that it's about a young man who becomes enamored with a mysterious count who has big plans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though I disagree that KyoAni and P.A. Works shows are drama-bait, Gankutsuou and 3gatsu are 10/10 drama.

I don't have the words to properly express my reaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I don't have the words to properly express my reaction.
    Its finaly a friday?

- - - Updated - - -