Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Ami absolutely is a bitch. She reminds me a lot of my younger self, thinking they're so mature and smart and trying to "help" others and making "clever jokes" and waxing about life, but really they're just being an asshole. The problem is that the show tries to pass off her "advice" and "clever jokes" as absolutely true.
    At this point it's a safe assumption you have these shows you watch on in the background and aren't paying attention to what's happening at all.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    At this point it's a safe assumption you have these shows you watch on in the background and aren't paying attention to what's happening at all.
    I paid attention to the fact Takasu clearly said "I've been in love with Minori for over a year"... and then within the span of one day he 180ed and wanted to elope with Taiga.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm all for eloping (I really liked the part in Weathering With You where they are on the run and struggling), but seriously that was way too fast. There was no built up romantic relationship between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Plebs can't appreciate Ami as the best character in the show by a long shot.

Her interactions with the other characters were the most interesting. Yes, she was a bitch, but that facade covered the fact that she was lonely and frustrated with people in general. Watching her overcome her personal insecurities and actually befriend her classmates was more satisfying than anything else in the show, save the first part of the Christmas episode before Taiga cucked herself. Her comments about how Ryuuji and Taiga were being dishonest with themselves about their feelings about each other were spot-on, and she had fantastic general commentary about people. She didn't abide the bullshit and always had something interesting to say. Yes, she was fairly bitchy, but she was honest. Taiga and Minori spent the majority of the show lying to themselves or others about feelings, and created so much drama through plot-induced stupidity. Those two were unoriginal cookie-cutter characters that we've seen plenty of times before, while Ami was written well, as evidenced by how people like to argue about whether or not she was best/worst character.

Ami may not be likable, but she's the most interesting character from the show.
    Since cba to type it all out again. My search also brought up the post where you shipped Amarti and Holo. How anybody can have so many terrible opinions and be so clueless about what happens in shows is beyond me. Can't tell if you're dense or trolling

inb4 he says Oscar bait again

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Since cba to type it all out again. My search also brought up the post where you shipped Amarti and Holo. How anybody can have so many terrible opinions and be so clueless about what happens in shows is beyond me. Can't tell if you're dense or trolling

inb4 he says Oscar bait again
    I felt like Lawrence and Holo were friends, but not lovers. Whereas while Amarti did come off as rather foolhardy, he was at least attracted to Holo, so there is half of the relationship right there. Can't say the same for Lawrence x Holo. If Lawrence was romantically interested in anyone, it was the shepherd girl (and she was into him too). So same situation: you have the show trying to tell me that the protagonist and deuteragonist are supposed to be an item, when I see no evidence of that, and in fact that they are shown to be more of an item with the sidecharacters.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess my other big problem with Toradora is that it isn't a good anime to watch.

It's a novel with a slideshow and voiceacting.

The strength of the Toradora anime is in the goofy animation during the comedy segments. But the drama isn't really engaging to watch. Setting aside whether or not one is invested in the characters and the story, the problem with the drama is that it's a lot of still shots of people standing around and talking. And static shots while Takasu monologues for three minutes about feelings. The Fate adaptations also suffer from this problem of feeling like a novel with a slideshow and voice acting, without the benefit of gag comedy to keep it visually interesting. There is a lot of standing around and expositing things or talking, with the occasional flashy battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    So... it's an anime with several slideshows per second? You literally described animation in the most basic form.
    Anime adaptations of manga don't seem to suffer from this problem of people just standing around and talking on and on. Probably because 1. people general don't stand around and talk in manga (unless it's a Marvel comic from within the past 20 years, in which case yeah they do for 90% of the comic), and 2. the storyboarders had the manga panels to draw upon, so the screen is always filled with the characters doing something. Anime original series tend to vary depending on the imagination of the creators. If they can't be bothered, then you get stuff like Evangelion where people just stand around talking for minutes at a time with hardly any animation. If they're more imaginative, like Escaflowne, then the show isn't really structured that way and there is always stuff happening, which is the strength of the visual medium.

Anime adaptations of manga don't seem to suffer from this problem of people just standing around and talking on and on. Probably because 1. people general don't stand around and talk in manga (unless it's a Marvel comic from within the past 20 years, in which case yeah they do for 90% of the comic), and 2. the storyboarders had the manga panels to draw upon, so the screen is always filled with the characters doing something. Anime original series tend to vary depending on the imagination of the creators. If they can't be bothered, then you get stuff like Evangelion where people just stand around talking for minutes at a time with hardly any animation. If they're more imaginative, like Escaflowne, then the show isn't really structured that way and there is always stuff happening, which is the strength of the visual medium.
    You need stuff to have the depth of a puddle.

No wonder you watch dubs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anime adaptations of manga don't seem to suffer from this problem of people just standing around and talking on and on.
    you do realize tv shows do this shit all the time right? how is it even a problem? "OMG THE TWO CHARACTERS ARE TALKING TO EACH OTHER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    you do realize tv shows do this shit all the time right? how is it even a problem? "OMG THE TWO CHARACTERS ARE TALKING TO EACH OTHER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
    I don't have a problem with a few scenes of people standing around talking to each other. If the director/storyboarder/scene director is motivated enough and has creativity, they can make it very engaging, using different blocking and character movement and camera angles. But the anime I'm criticizing can't even be bothered to put a little energy into their plethora of standing around and talking scenes. When 50% of your show is characters standing around and talking, it better be visually interesting to watch. If it isn't, why didn't you just write a novel instead? Oh right, because it was a novel. So if you're adapting it, why can't you be bothered to actually adapt it and make it a good show to watch, not an audiobook I occasionally glance up at to see a static visual?

10+ Year Old Account
    You seriously have the strangest complaints about media I have ever seen.

He shipped Holo and Amarti how much more proof do you need that he's either a solid troll or an absolute moron

Infracted for flaming.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2020-10-29 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enough with the personal attacks. If a post is bad, report it. Otherwise ignore something and move on with your discussions.

If we ignored bad taste there wouldn't be anything to talk about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Enough with the personal attacks. If a post is bad, report it. Otherwise ignore something and move on with your discussions.
    How the fuck is calling someones retarded takes retarded, a personal attack? unless.... you think the same way?
    Last edited by Epuration; 2020-10-30 at 01:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, world trigger is getting a new season. Wtf happened?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Wait, world trigger is getting a new season. Wtf happened?
    Yeah, wild huh? I never thought we would see any more of that series get adapted. Then again, if Bleach can get a late sequel ending, I guess anything can at this point.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

So Sony is buying Crunchyroll for a billion USD.

Sony already owns FUNimation so they would have a near monopoly on anime localization in the West. At this point the only English localizer they wouldn't have would be Aniplex, who mainly do movies.

Sony has been converged by SJWs and we've already seen their policies towards localizing Japanese games, and then there is FUNimation's policies for localizing anime they get their hands on as well. Not to mention FUNimation buying the exclusive rights to localize anime, and then refusing to localize the anime so no one in the West gets to see it. I fear what would happen if they get Crunchyroll too.

Sony might try controlling the production of anime at the source by trying to get on the production committees, just as Crunchyroll tried to do.

Just hope that Japanese entertainment doesn't gradually lose what made it so unique in the first place due to foreign control.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-10-31 at 10:11 PM.

Just hope that Japanese entertainment doesn't gradually lose what made it so unique in the first place due to foreign control.
    Said the dub watcher with no shred of irony.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Sony is buying Crunchyroll for a billion USD.

Sony already owns FUNimation so they would have a near monopoly on anime localization in the West. At this point the only English localizer they wouldn't have would be Aniplex, who mainly do movies.
    ANIPLEX is SONY, to be precise Sony Music Entertainment Japan
    Aniplex currently owns: Aniplex of America, Funimation, A-1 Pictures, CloverWorks, Wakanim, Live2D

You also forgot about Sentai(Hidive) Animecrush, Discotek etc etc

Sony has been converged by SJWs and we've already seen their policies towards localizing Japanese games, and then there is FUNimation's policies for localizing anime they get their hands on as well. Not to mention FUNimation buying the exclusive rights to localize anime, and then refusing to localize the anime so no one in the West gets to see it. I fear what would happen if they get Crunchyroll too.
    Please don't confuse Sony Music Entertainment Japan with Sony Interactive Entertainment. They're different branches and unrelated to one another. Whatever SIE is doing has no influence on SMEJ.
    Funimation still has the same policies from before Aniplex bought them out. They quite literally have not changed a thing. They only gets "exclusivity" on airing anime that they can air it the same day as it it does in Japan, while CR who in fact is also able to license the same show has to start streaming it 2 weeks later. Funi also does not refuse the localize in the west, they don't localize to Europe bar the UK. That's a big difference. Aniplex also has Wakanim for that in limited countries but CR has the biggest reach worldwide so if they want to compete with Netflix and the likes, buying out CR makes sense.

Sony might try controlling the production of anime at the source by trying to get on the production committees, just as Crunchyroll tried to do.
    They already sit on production committees since the start of anime with several companies/labels at the time even on a single show.
    CR tried to do in past tense is weird when they're still actively doing it and to high success.

Here's a list I made a while ago for shows where CR seated on the production committee but haven't updated it with this seasons stuff.
    A Destructive God Sits Next to Me
    Somali and the Forest Spirit
    Sing "Yesterday" for Me
    Tower of God
    Woodpecker Detective's Office
    Gibiate
    The God of High School (sole sponsor, kadokawa handling discs rights, movic merchandise rights)
    Girly Air Force
    Kemono Friends 2
    The Rising of the Shield Hero
    A Place Further Than The Universe
    Citrus
    How to keep a Mummy
    Junji Ito: Collection
    Katana Maidens
    Laid Back Camp
    Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles
    Magical Girl Ore
    Holmes of Kyoto
    Island
    The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar
    RErideD - Derrida, who leaps through time
    Senran Kagura Shinovi Master
    Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight
    Idol Incidents
    Kemono Friends
    Masamune-kun's Revenge
    Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club
    Love Tyrant
    A Centaur's Life
    Classroom of the Elite
    Restaurant to Another World
    The Reflection
    Dies irae
    Kino's Journey - The Beautiful World
    Recovery of a MMO Junkie
    Urahara
    Anne Happy♪
    Kizunaiver
    Sweetness and Lightning
    Nanbacka

Idk why I even would reply to this. Read it and think for yourself how dumb it sounds like.

Actually do some research about this stuff instead of reading SankakuComplex which only purpose is to clickbait people with false information.
    Last edited by Millhi; 2020-10-31 at 11:35 PM.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Would you say Aniplex stuff doesn't suffer from "SJW censorship"?
    Never really seen anything bad with them.

- - - Updated - - -

oh crap

FUNimation is merging with Aniplex

so yeah Sony pretty much has a monopoly on anime localization in the West now. They've got the two biggest translators of shows in the West: Crunchyroll and FUNimation, and they've got the two biggest English dub and the two biggest DVD and Blu Ray distributors, FUNimation and Aniplex.

At this point the only thing left for them is to start trying to take over production of anime at the source.

- - - Updated - - -

They could also try taking over the localization of anime in foreign countries, but IIRC Billibilli and Tencent have localization of shows in China already locked down, and localizing for Germany/French/Russian/Spanish will yield diminishing returns, so I'm guessing they're probably going to go straight for the production committees.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess Sony - if they're really ambitious - could try buying Shonen Jump, in the same way Disney bought Marvel Comics. Exclusive rights to everything created under the Shonen Jump label.