10+ Year Old Account
    What would you say are some "must watch" anime from the past 5 or so years? I know that's a big window but I kinda fell out of anime around that time and outside of a handful like MHA I just haven't been keeping up at all. I recently watched Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen and they have me wanting more. Any series along those lines? Mostly into the big, dumb action kind of anime. Yeah, I am a shounen weeb. Especially series that have interesting worlds and/or set-ups. I have tried to get into JoJo and while I really enjoyed the first two arcs, the third just didn't do anything for me. Would I be ok skipping it and going right into Part 4?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    What would you say are some "must watch" anime from the past 5 or so years? I know that's a big window but I kinda fell out of anime around that time and outside of a handful like MHA I just haven't been keeping up at all. I recently watched Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen and they have me wanting more. Any series along those lines? Mostly into the big, dumb action kind of anime. Yeah, I am a shounen weeb. Especially series that have interesting worlds and/or set-ups. I have tried to get into JoJo and while I really enjoyed the first two arcs, the third just didn't do anything for me. Would I be ok skipping it and going right into Part 4?

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu,just watch and laugh as Maple becomes more and more OP in the most ridiculous of fashions.

What would you say are some "must watch" anime from the past 5 or so years?
    Kekkai Sensen S1 is the only "must-watch" I can think of. The others are "has some good stuff but is flawed".

• Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans was pretty good. Flawed, but pretty good.
    • The 21st Pokemon movie, The Power of Us, was surprisingly good. Best Pokemon movie since 3 and 8.
    • Touken Ranbu Katsugeki's story was surprisingly good for a gacha game adaptation. Shame about the 3D CGI and the overuse of filters.
    • My Life as a Villainess was fun comedy.
    • The Royal Tutor was fun comedy. The restaurant episode of "The Royal Tutor" was great.
    • The first season of Food Wars is good, then it slowly trails off at the show goes on.
    • The first 7 episodes of Rising of the Shield Hero are great, but then the show trails off in quality as it goes on.
    • The first half of MHA S3 was legit great but you have to slog through the rest of the show to get it, and the stuff after the first half of S3 is meh.

- - - Updated - - -

I recently watched Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen and they have me wanting more. Any series along those lines? Mostly into the big, dumb action kind of anime.
    Only recommendations I can think of would be Kekkai Sensen, Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, and Touken Ranbu Katsugeki.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Only recommendations I can think of would be Kekkai Sensen, Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, and Touken Ranbu Katsugeki.
    Oh yeah, I loved Kekkai Sensen season 1. I think it was right around when season 2 started that I had stopped watching anime. How was season 2?

I will have to check out Iron-Blooded Orphans and the Shield Hero one. The others I have already seen (like Food Wars and MHA) or not really my thing.

Thanks for the suggestions! If you guys think of any more, I am all ears.

Oh yeah, I loved Kekkai Sensen season 1. I think it was right around when season 2 started that I had stopped watching anime. How was season 2?
    Decent but not amazing like S1. If you liked the episodic plots of S1 then you might like S2, but S2 doesn't have the overarching build up to a finale like S1 did.

10+ Year Old Account

I will have to check out Iron-Blooded Orphans and the Shield Hero one. The others I have already seen (like Food Wars and MHA) or not really my thing.

Thanks for the suggestions! If you guys think of any more, I am all ears.
    You should watch Uramichi Oniisan.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account

"Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon" has a weird title, but is fairly long (three seasons, a side movie, a spinoff, season 4 confirmed), and has some good world-building. It's a bit D&D inspired, and a lot of people mistake it for an isekai (it's not).

Dr. Stone. Two seasons so far with a third confirmed? Not your typical shounen show. The lead character is a brilliant scientist working to bring society back to normal after a weird disease turned everybody to stone. He's certainly refreshing as a main shounen protagonist though.

Radiant. It's flown more under the radar, and it's unfortunate that it doesn't seem to be getting any more content. But two seasons, much closer to a typical shounen show than the other two.

Black Clover is known for having a slow start, but it ramps up pretty quickly. And yes, Asta gets much less annoying over time. Ended at 170 episodes while the manga gets farther along.

Haikyuu. Yes this is a sports anime. But it feels so very shounen that I think people not familiar with the genre can still enjoy it. Definitely among the best sports anime there is too. Manga is finished, hopefully with all the content it's gotten means they'll animate the whole thing.

Yashahime: Half-Demon Princess. Sequel to Inuyasha if you're familiar with it. Stars three girls, twin sisters that are daughters of Sesshomaru, and the daughter of Inuyasha and Kagome. Starts off much more character driven than story, leaving a lot of people confused and it seems a lot of people didn't stick around. But I liked it if nothing else for those three (Moroha best girl), and we do have a season 2 coming this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yashahime: Half-Demon Princess. Sequel to Inuyasha if you're familiar with it. Stars three girls, twin sisters that are daughters of Sesshomaru, and the daughter of Inuyasha and Kagome. Starts off much more character driven than story, leaving a lot of people confused and it seems a lot of people didn't stick around. But I liked it if nothing else for those three (Moroha best girl), and we do have a season 2 coming this year.
    Do the girls have any magical pets? Magical pets are pretty cool and are a consideration when it comes to watching a show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Decent but not amazing like S1. If you liked the episodic plots of S1 then you might like S2, but S2 doesn't have the overarching build up to a finale like S1 did.
    Yeah, I had a feeling it would turn out that way considering the best parts of S1, everything involving White and Black, were all anime original material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    You should watch Uramichi Oniisan.
    That's the one about the depressed dude who works as a host on a kids show? I have heard it's pretty funny. It's currently airing though. I will have to check it out once it's done.
    "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon" has a weird title, but is fairly long (three seasons, a side movie, a spinoff, season 4 confirmed), and has some good world-building. It's a bit D&D inspired, and a lot of people mistake it for an isekai (it's not).

Dr. Stone. Two seasons so far with a third confirmed? Not your typical shounen show. The lead character is a brilliant scientist working to bring society back to normal after a weird disease turned everybody to stone. He's certainly refreshing as a main shounen protagonist though.

Radiant. It's flown more under the radar, and it's unfortunate that it doesn't seem to be getting any more content. But two seasons, much closer to a typical shounen show than the other two.

Black Clover is known for having a slow start, but it ramps up pretty quickly. And yes, Asta gets much less annoying over time. Ended at 170 episodes while the manga gets farther along.

Haikyuu. Yes this is a sports anime. But it feels so very shounen that I think people not familiar with the genre can still enjoy it. Definitely among the best sports anime there is too. Manga is finished, hopefully with all the content it's gotten means they'll animate the whole thing.

Oh yeah, I've seen the first season of Dan Machi and enjoyed it. Pretty good as far as isekai/trapped in a game type of series go. How is the spin-off compared to the rest? They can be hit or miss.

Dr. Stone I have read the manga. Easily one of my favorite recent series. Loved it.

Black Clover and Haikyuu I started both but stopped. Black Clover was one of the few anime I did try watching recently. I think I made it around 90 or so episodes, up until the point they formed some kind of super group made from members of all the different knight groups. Was fun but felt kinda repetitive. Haikyuu was really good for the season I watched but sports anime are not really my thing, I have to be in just the correct mood.

Radiant and the Inuyasha sequel I will have to check out. In fact, I may just go back and rewatch Inuyasha. Been a really long time and I don't think I every even saw that final season that was released.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Oh yeah, I've seen the first season of Dan Machi and enjoyed it. Pretty good as far as isekai/trapped in a game type of series go. How is the spin-off compared to the rest? They can be hit or miss.
    Danmachi is actually not an isekai anime, it's straight up fantasy. Just wanted to clarify that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Danmachi is actually not an isekai anime, it's straight up fantasy. Just wanted to clarify that.
    Oh yeah I know. It's not exactly trapped in a game either, it just uses game-like mechanics as a plot point. But it has many of the same tropes and as someone who is more than bored with isekai, I was surprised I did enjoy that series. The only other similar series I really enjoyed was Log Horizon.

10+ Year Old Account

Black Clover and Haikyuu I started both but stopped. Black Clover was one of the few anime I did try watching recently. I think I made it around 90 or so episodes, up until the point they formed some kind of super group made from members of all the different knight groups. Was fun but felt kinda repetitive. Haikyuu was really good for the season I watched but sports anime are not really my thing, I have to be in just the correct mood.

Radiant and the Inuyasha sequel I will have to check out. In fact, I may just go back and rewatch Inuyasha. Been a really long time and I don't think I every even saw that final season that was released.

Thanks again for the recommendations!
    Opinions vary, but for me with Danmachi: S1>Sword Oratoria (the spinoff, it follows around the same timeline as season 1 but the Loki familia are the focus)>S3>S2. Season 2 has some...questionable content, and it shifts gears into a lot of familia drama over, well dungeoneering.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2021-08-26 at 09:46 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Opinions vary, but for me with Danmachi: S1>Sword Oratoria (the spinoff, it follows around the same timeline as season 1 but the Loki familia are the focus)>S3>S2. Season 2 has some...questionable content, and it shifts gears into a lot of familia drama over, well dungeoneering.
    Danmachi S3 had an ending so bad I couldn't even finish the rest of the season.

Rest of the episodes? Awesome. But the last episode was literally so bad it killed anime for me for like a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am moderately excited for the Komi Can't Communicate adaptation.

If anything, the VA lineup is rock solid.

The last chapter of Berserk hits so hard...... ;__;

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyAngel12 View Post
    you're not hudson

someone got nuked because this thread is 30+ pages fucked up now

idaten this was a pretty interesting show. I know a lot of people will get turned off by some of the stuff in the show though. sad that apparently there isn't anymore material so who knows if there will ever be any more to it. makes you wonder why they made it to begin with though.

Been catching up on Villainess season 2.

Some of the jokes are funny and the characters are overall pleasant, but the show has been running out of steam. The "everyone loves Katarina" schtick got stale, and they wound up adding yet another harem member. In episode 7, there was a glimmer of hope that Ascot might be able to break out of the harem and actually move on with his life... but then he goes back to fawning over Katarina. By now it's pretty clear that this show is forver going to be a soap opera rehashing the same jokes with nothing ever really happening, until the manga sales eventually dip low enough that it is cancelled.

It's also strange how the magic of the setting is barely explored. They go to a magic academy and the MC joined the department of magic, but literally the only time anyone ever used magic was in that dungeon episode of S1, and that was it. I was rather annoyed when they whipped out a smartphone rather than using a fancy communication spell, or even sending a message by mail, or using an oldfashioned telegram. It's pretty much just Japanese high school harem comedy but with a paper thin veneer of France or Prussia aristocracy.

5/10 fine. Pleasant time waster but doesn't really have anything going for it.

My Hero Academia season 5

The show continues to meander at an abysmal pace. I wish they had just skipped the filler tournament/training arc entirely and I recommend you do the same. You literally miss nothing.

I know other manga readers have been complaining about how they rearranged the League of Villains arc and skipped some stuff but personally I didn't mind it. The League of Villains arc has been pretty much the only interesting thing about S5, and even then it's bloated with too much filler like constant flashbacks every 3 minutes and monologues. This show really needs a fan edit that just cuts out the fat.

Kyoukai Senki begins airing on Tuesday. Looking forward to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess 86 season 2 also begins airing tomorrow though I'm not really excited for it as I am for Kyoukai.

10+ Year Old Account
    86 season 2 started pretty strong.
    Resturant from another world finaly got season 2.

Still gota watch the 7 deadly sins movie, Journey: Taiko Arabia Hantou de no Kiseki to Tatakai no Monogatari and The Ancient Magus' Bride special episode.

Also there is a lot of shit that got season 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well time to rate some new good stuff from meh stuff.

Sakugan -- it fells like a reverse made in abyss (you will see what happens in ep 1)
    The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat -- hard to say yet
    Kyoukai Senki -- Its very close to gundam to its style (cute creatures are just Ai btw -- not the usualy small creatures that follow people).
    The Fruit of Evolution: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made -- its isekai again, but its unique enogh
    The Vampire Dies in No Time -- comedy and its good, also finaly some vampire anime that doesnt suck
    Shin no Nakama ja Nai to Yuusha no Party wo Oidasareta node, Henkyou de Slow Life suru Koto ni Shimashita -- probaly gona drop it on next ep