Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by karmlol View Post
    You put a lot of time into writing about whether or not you should have said something, and what you maybe should have done differently, if at all, etcetera. For starters, I think that if you were to put 10% of that time into thinking before you type stuff out of 'frustration', you'd have made progress already.

Secondly, I think it's giving a lot of weight to fairly insignificant things. There is such a thing as overanalysing.

Regardless, I do think there are probably ways of being more constructive. Instead of swearing or giving commands, put your frustration aside and say it as a request instead. If they don't listen, let them - you're probably not going to convince them, so wasting time trying to argue is pointless.

Example: "Hey, we kind of need your help in the team fights instead of running mid all the time; please help out next team fight "
    "FU Im way ahead of you guys"
    "Whatever, suit yourself"

If you lose, you lose. You'll know it was partly on him, he'll know it was partly on him, he'll deny it to himself, and you'll have done your best. Nothing bad on you.
    I think the main reason people get so upset is because there is no "surrender button" and you have to suffer with that person for the next 20 min. (or less, hopefully). I personally hate wasting the time with some toxic person because he wants to be the "lone wolf" and sit and lose the game, all while cursing you out. Again, I stand by my suggestion of forcing the new people to play the AI until the account is level 5.

didnt read post...

just going by title...

it is very hard to take constructive criticism ..... i know i fail often enough at it.... but that doesnt mean the person is being rude... after all, it is only rude if you think it is

Can you give constructive criticism in this game? - Yes, about as frequently as you find a civil argument in youtube comments - Very rarely.

Is there even a point trying? - No. There are people who play games that could not care less about being 'good' if they tried. Look at the sheer number of people who played vanilla wow that are still bad at the game today. Being 'good' at a game is not the end goal for ever player, it is for you (probably) and I, but we are the minority I feel.

Don't bother even talking to people, honestly. I've wrote "Sonya come top" when I wanted us to 5v5 at the top Terror that the other team were fighting and had a reply of "muted". Yes, I got muted for saying "Sonya come top" and nothing else. I just said wow and stopped talking. This has happened dozens of times to me. Speak at all, ask anyone to do anything at all and you are likely to be muted by at least 1 person. It does not matter if you are aggressive in your tone, demanding or whatever. You can say anything and still get muted.

Don't even try. Just wait for MMR to be fixed. You'll just get a headache from trying.

Also, even if you do try to give constructive criticism, chances are you will fuck up during the game. You will do a bad skillshot or a bad ult. You may get caught on your side of the map from a 5 man gank in a bush, some random death out of no where and then they have they have all the ammo they need to just shit on you for the rest of the game.

Some of you seem mighty sensitive. I'd advise against going online at all, particularly to play games. As for all the "we would have won if X did this" comments, they're kinda hilarious. It's a game against 5 other humans. You're going to win 50%, at best, in randomly selected teams. I don't care if your team does everything right. Everyone on the other team could be doing everything right, as well. Someone has to lose. Grow up.

Words. Use them.

Or play with friends. That's what I do.

Pro tip: Turn off ally chat in Quick Match and don't even bother trying to be nice or help your team. 99% of them do not listen and will flip shit on you, it's not worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Constructive criticism is about more than giving genuinely helpful advice. It's also about time and place, your behavior up until that point and the party you're criticizing. What I mean by that is that after a particularly devastating loss may not be the time to try to explain stuff to someone who may be really mad about what just happened. If you've been yelling and cursing like a sailor up until that point where you try to give constructive criticism people likely won't want to take any advice from you since you lack credibility. And lastly, some people, especially in online games, are simply resistant to learning and helpful advice. They don't want your help because in their eyes, you are to blame anyways, since their play was flawless and by speaking up you just made yourself their target.

10+ Year Old Account
    some people are just assholes. nothing you can do about it.

Like telling a parent something is wrong with their kid. Completely. Fucking. Blind to it. And then delusional as well when they argue back.

Was in a game where Tychus complained I was auto attacking minions and not Heroes (this was true, I misclicked for some reason and the enemy got away), and I pointed out that he was out of position in the first place.

Response was 'IF YOU CANT TAKE CRITICISM I MUTE YOU'

Like lol.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    I've been playing heroes since first stage Alpha, and I can honestly say the community of the game has gone completely downhill since open beta. You try to offer some constructive criticism only to be met with toxic responses and behaviors.
    Has there ever been a game where from alpha to release people said the community got better? Because I've never seen it.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Was in a game where Tychus complained I was auto attacking minions and not Heroes (this was true, I misclicked for some reason and the enemy got away), and I pointed out that he was out of position in the first place.

Response was 'IF YOU CANT TAKE CRITICISM I MUTE YOU'

Like lol.
    I always kill minions so they don't take tower ammo... I am probably playing wrong tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladiswaifu View Post
    I always kill minions so they don't take tower ammo... I am probably playing wrong tho.
    HotS is a game where there's a lot more ambiguity to what you should be doing. People think it's about team fights 24/7 and suddenly wonder why they are behind 3-4 levels as the ignored Gazlowe or Azmodan merrily marches into town unopposed.

People aren't aware of the meta and can't really gauge what to do in what situations as of yet. HotS is a MobA and yet is completely different than LoL or DotA.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's in part because there are so many assholes out there who don't try to be nice that people automatically assume everyone who says anything is trying to scold, berate or shame, rather than actually be helpful or instructive.

I generally try to use "please" and phrase things like "fyi, if you haven't played this map/hero/whatever, [tip]" or "it would be helpful if you do X because that helps Y." It's a lot more typing than just giving brief instructions, but in my experience, people listen better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    Why are people so oversensitive? Christ fucking pansies. If someone saying "wtf" impacts the conversation... I have no words.
    It's not about them being pansies, it's using language that projects an indication that one's intention is not to be helpful. If you phrase things in a way that looks like you're on the offensive, they will naturally react on the defensive and will be way less receptive. If you really want people to actually listen to you, you have to use language that makes them feel like you're working with them, not against them. That's not about being overly sensitive, that's basic human nature.

If they start crying or flipping out, that's overly sensitive. But assuming people are just being critical or jerks, that's probably more indicative of being jaded or cynical about people's intentions online, and honestly it's with good reason since there are a shitton of people in online games who care more about berating people for doing stupid things than helping them to stop doing stupid things.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Vladiswaifu View Post
    Killing minions during the laning phase is often fine. Ideally, if you're laning vs another hero you want to hit minions with your AoE while pressuring the opposing heroes out of lane with your single target/harass abilities. But if they're playing it safe they'll be out of range of that unless you get too far forward and risk getting knocked into towers by a Diablo/Stitches/etc so in that case you just focus on wave clear and toss things at them opportunistically, and wait for next objective.

Zagara is the absolute queen of this - she can fire banelings at heroes to disrupt their position and still hit waves/towers if they miss, drop her roaches on top of either heroes or waves, and sic her hydralisks on heroes on cd to constantly push them back to their towers. All from a million miles away, while laying creep everywhere. She's a bitch to stop.

I've been playing heroes since first stage Alpha, and I can honestly say the community of the game has gone completely downhill since open beta. You try to offer some constructive criticism only to be met with toxic responses and behaviors.
    IMO, in alpha/beta you only had a small committed group of people playing. As release got closer more and more "average" players got in so the ratio of jackasses went up. I'm sure it happens in every game.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...fFanJackassery

They're still a minority, but when you encounter them you remember that 1 jerk and forget the 10 non-jerks you played with.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
    They should have taken the Hearthstone approach and left all the communications to pre-written speeches. Then I might be interested in actually playing a MOBA which isn't filled with kids who have sex with my mother.
    I have yet to see any outright trolling/pure toxicity. I think it takes too long to type it.

So far just people getting mad and being a dick midgame. (I admit: sometimes that dick is me. I'm working on it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Has there ever been a game where from alpha to release people said the community got better? Because I've never seen it.
    Actually, one does come to mind. Horizons. http://www.istaria.com/ The community always seemed nice and helpful. Granted, the game has no real raiding content to offer. It was a crafting game mainly. I remember playing the first year and was rather surprised on how the entire community of the server came together to gather the items to release a new playable race, the Dryads.

In fact, on my server, I was the trusted "wand" holder for the puzzles. Because I lead the community into being the first on any server to release the Dryads, I was contacted by a GM a few days later asking my permission if they could give me a title to reflect this. The title given to me was "Envoy of Aubadrine". So from then on, I was the dragon known as Winters Solstice, Envoy of Aubadrine.

Overall, beautiful game, it had a ton of potential, sadly, the lack of raiding gave no real motivation to really stay with the game. After I raised my dragon to adulthood, then the event for the Dryads, I sadly, quit the game. The game is still running to this day (quite amazing that it is actually), and I'm sure the community there isn't as toxic, but then again, who knows. It's been years.

Since you're not voice chatting with people, take a moment to let things pass before you WTF or anything else for that matter. Seriously, just breathe for a moment. Then say something helpful and not just accusatory. The problem isn't that you said WTF, it's just that everyone is so hyper-anxious to be angry with others that being terse or smarmy has a tendency to inflame situations.

You've been given a few examples you could have used in this case. Rather than just blurting out, ask why someone is doing something and offer suggestions as mentioned above. At least you're trying to make an effort which is far more than many, if not most, of the dicks we see in various games these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I have yet to see any outright trolling/pure toxicity. I think it takes too long to type it.

So far just people getting mad and being a dick midgame. (I admit: sometimes that dick is me. I'm working on it.)
    I got into one with some nasty shit, brought back some HoN memories.

Spam pinging, then running away, yelling at everyone for being noobs when diving solo into five.. you name a bad behavior, he did it x_x

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that helps me when i am trying to give advice to people i don't know is asking instead of telling what to do. Example instead of "Syl stick with the group" you may say " Syl can you come and help the group?" . it takes longer but that's the disadvantage of not having a group to play whit.

Actually, one does come to mind. Horizons. http://www.istaria.com/ The community always seemed nice and helpful.
    That's interesting, but yeah it seems like there's no real competition or ways to screw your teammates over which is why people get toxic. That's cool though that the community didn't end up worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.