Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Garrisons, can I avoid them entirely?

I had a 10 day trial a while back and I couldn't get past the Garrison content. I mean i really disliked them, hate is the proper word. I like crafting, mining, raiding and 5 mans typically. I wanted to get back into the harder raiding (now Mythic) and that seems like it fine (really do not know for sure but looks to be good).

Anyway, I came to a screeching halt with Garrisons. Perhaps I should have investigated further but I was totally turned off by them. The question is, looking at what I like to do above....can I avoid Garrisons entirely if i wanted to, with out that getting in the way of what i want to accomplish above?
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

You only need to the intro for garrisons. Everything else is optional and is not needed for legendary quests and the such. EXCEPT in 6.2 you need 150 resources to build a shipyard to get into Tannan. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    You only need to the intro for garrisons. Everything else is optional and is not needed for legendary quests and the such. EXCEPT in 6.2 you need 150 resources to build a shipyard to get into Tannan. That's it.
    Don't you need a lvl 3 garrison for that?

10+ Year Old Account
    if you want to use your professions, NO it is not optional.
    if you want to make money at all in WoD, NO is is not optional.
    if you want to accelerate your ability to get gear, NO it is not optional.
    if you want mats, NO it is not optional.

seriously, IDK where the "optional" idea came from, but in all reality there is no other option than to use your garrisons. there's literally nothing else to do in the entire xpac.

EXCEPT in 6.2 you need 150 resources to build a shipyard to get into Tannan
    What does this mean though time-wise?
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    The question is, looking at what I like to do above....can I avoid Garrisons entirely if i wanted to, with out that getting in the way of what i want to accomplish above?
    If the raiding endgame is all you care about, sure, go ahead, skip garrisons. But if you want to do anything besides that, you will need to use it.

Deleted
    You can do dailys in Pandaria until dinging 100 and get gear off the AH. How you get gear after that is up to you, but dungeon finder / LFR might help.

You cannot quest to 100 without a garrison. If that answers your question.

And garrisons were the other reason I listed when I cancelled, hated them in beta, gave it a fair shot... but they're not for me.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    If the raiding endgame is all you care about, sure, go ahead, skip garrisons. But if you want to do anything besides that, you will need to use it.
    I dont advise skipping them as a raider. Getting followers with high ilevel means a shot at mythic level gear for a heroic raider.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ashe View Post
    if you want to use your professions, NO it is not optional.
    if you want to make money at all in WoD, NO is is not optional.
    if you want to accelerate your ability to get gear, NO it is not optional.
    if you want mats, NO it is not optional.

seriously, IDK where the "optional" idea came from, but in all reality there is no other option than to use your garrisons. there's literally nothing else to do in the entire xpac.
    That is exactly what I was not wanting to hear, bah, I cannot stand that sort of content. What the fuck was Blizzard thinking here? I think it is time I gave Wildstar a good try, from what I hear...it is stellar now. It may also be going free to play from Steam as well in August. (I hear the raiding and dungeons are awesome)

I really wish Blizz would of not added in Garrisons in the way that they did.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Don't you need a lvl 3 garrison for that?
    one would assume his Garrison Cache filling multiple times would give him ample resources to make a town hall 3 with zero effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    You cannot quest to 100 without a garrison. If that answers your question.

And garrisons were the other reason I listed when I cancelled, hated them in beta, gave it a fair shot... but they're not for me.
    Dungeoning is faster than questing with looms to 100.

Garrison outpost quests only take twenty minutes, so they aren't that long. Once you do them you can forget about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is exactly what I was not wanting to hear, bah, I cannot stand that sort of content. What the fuck was Blizzard thinking here? I think it is time I gave Wildstar a good try, from what I hear...it is stellar now. It may also be going free to play from Steam as well in August. (I hear the raiding and dungeons are awesome)

I really wish Blizz would of not added in Garrisons in the way that they did.
    I don't get the Garrison hate, if you wanted to do ANY of those 4 things in other expansions, you'd still be spending time standing around somewhere doing it. Garrisons just puts it all in one spot.

Though from the way you are talking I feel as though this is actually just another veiled attempt at someone complaining about Garrisons.

You can, but there is no reason to.
    Its like avoiding entering a specific zone.
    No real reason.

Once you have it built up, you don't have to do any of the stuff within it, but simply trying to not build it is just silly.
    The debate is still open whether the feature will have a lasting place in the game, but there is no reason to act like its a blight.
    Loads of optional stuff that you shouldn't worry about if all you want to do is pve.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Dungeoning is faster than questing with looms to 100.

Garrison outpost quests only take twenty minutes, so they aren't that long. Once you do them you can forget about them.
    What I can't understand is if the quests to building the Garrisons weren't connected to Garrisons, I doubt anyone would complain about those quests.

"omg I had to cut down 8 trys and kill 6 crows before I could level anymore because of garrisons!" yet if you just got 2 quests that said Cut down 8 trees and kill 6 crows and here is some Exp, people would do them anyway. if you think of Garrisons as just another quest Hub, that's all they pretty much are.

Deleted
    What does this mean though time-wise?
    You will get a couple of thousand of garrison resources just leveling through Draenor.

Based on what you're saying you like about the game, i don't really understand why you dislike the garrison. How much time you put into it is pretty optional, but with decent rewards. It generates mining and herbalism nodes that you can pick regardless of profession. It generates mats for 1-3 crafting professions. It helps you get catch up gear for raiding and more gold that you could need for repairs.

If you want to spend a minimum of time doing follower stuff, get Master Plan. It will literally take 2 minutes at the start and end of your session.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I don't get the Garrison hate, if you wanted to do ANY of those 4 things in other expansions, you'd still be spending time standing around somewhere doing it. Garrisons just puts it all in one spot.

Though from the way you are talking I feel as though this is actually just another veiled attempt at someone complaining about Garrisons.
    Dude I am complaining about Garrisons, that is clear. I hate them. Other may love them but whatever floats their boat...I just want to be able to skip them period.

What I can't understand is if the quests to building the Garrisons weren't connected to Garrisons, I doubt anyone would complain about those quests.

"omg I had to cut down 8 trys and kill 6 crows before I could level anymore because of garrisons!" yet if you just got 2 quests that said Cut down 8 trees and kill 6 crows and here is some Exp, people would do them anyway.
    This absolutely. Seriously; the only garrisoning you need to do in WoD is the intro, that's it! You can literally camp in Ashran and never remember them.

one would assume his Garrison Cache filling multiple times would give him ample resources to make a town hall 3 with zero effort.
    Yeah but you have to do multiple quests and expend thousands of gold. Plus it will take probably months to accrue enough resources to build a level 3 one by just the cache. Not something i would call zero effort. It was quite a hassle every time for me to grind enough resources to get to lvl 3.

It's optional if you don't want to play WoD.