Hidden Scaling Revealed

http://www.reddit.com/user/Wethospu_

Very interesting.

KTR also broke down the data in his blog.

Basically, the client is actually sent mob data on health and such (though the game doesn't display it), and when another play enters combat with that mob, it's stats (such as health) goes up (as opposed to player DPS going down). Even if a player who was fighting against that mob dies, it will not go down until they leave. Theoretically, if you have a large group of dead players who wiped on Tequatl who are waiting for a rez, they are inherently making the fight harder for the living by simply not waypointing away and running back.

This was already known forever ago, even without data mining the client. That's why you always see people in map chat during events saying "waypoint don't just lay there"
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Yea, but there was also a large portion of people who argued it only counted alive players. If it's proof it counts dead players it will help when trying to convince people to release. I can't get to reddit or the blog post atm so I can't look at it myself.

Very interesting...All the more incentive to get up and run back.

Deleted
    Question: does releasing work the same way as in WoW, as in that if you're not near whatever you've damaged once it dies, you don't get loot? In WoW, if you release, and haven't tagged the mob again before it dies, you lose the tag. Do you keep tag through death and release in GW2?

Tagging is based on damage done before the mob dies. As long as you've done a certain amount to be recognized you should get loot.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    Very interesting...All the more incentive to get up and run back.
    People that didn't release, probably still won't, what do they care if it's harder for the guys doing all the work?
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    Question: does releasing work the same way as in WoW, as in that if you're not near whatever you've damaged once it dies, you don't get loot? In WoW, if you release, and haven't tagged the mob again before it dies, you lose the tag. Do you keep tag through death and release in GW2?
    Nah. If you're still in the map you'll get loot.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    People that didn't release, probably still won't, what do they care if it's harder for the guys doing all the work?
    Some certainly won't because there's always some % of people who just don't care. However, I know a number of people who just wanted proof that was how it worked and since no one could ever provide the proof they didn't believe people who told them that.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Yeah, you're most likely right.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has been known for ages and even confirmed by a dev, in a thread suggesting force respawns cuz of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    This has been known for ages and even confirmed by a dev, in a thread suggesting force respawns cuz of it...
    Yes everyone says that, but no one can ever find a link to that quote. So people always continue to doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Yes everyone says that, but no one can ever find a link to that quote. So people always continue to doubt it.
    If the GW2 official forums had a working search function I would link it for you

Dev also said there is a time limit on dead player scaling it up but I can't remember what it was.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2015-06-19 at 12:50 AM.