Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    So this guy made a sexist joke a week ago (?) at a female scientist empowerment conference in Korea about women crying when whenever critisied and that they are more concerned with falling in love with other scientists rather than the science.

He was fired from his main post at the University College London but he and his wife say they were 'hung out to dry' by the lynch mob after news of his joke went viral on twitter.

Read here: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...w-mary-collins

I think this is good news no one should be above criticism even a Nobel laureate he made a complete mockery of women and his university and he deserved to be fired. He's extremely privileged as a white male and I think his joke + reaction to his sacking show him as a disconnected and ignorant person.
    You should go get a sense of humour....

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You claimed he said that women "...are more concerned with falling in love with other scientists rather than the science", but he never said anything like that. It's blatant and deliberate misrepresentation of his words.

He's an advocate for gender separated labs as he believes that mixed labs cause distractions to scientists.

You have lied and misrepresented him consistently in this thread, from the title onwards.
    I did not misrepresent him. He misrepresented himself when he crossed a line with that so-called joke. His apology wasn't much of an apology. It's like saying 'I'm sorry for saying this...but I actually believe some of it is true' he said women are bad at handling criticism because of the fact that they are women that's sexism he also alluded to the idea that women because of their gender where a distraction to the men and even served as succubuses seducing the male scientists from the science.

He grew up in an era of gender segregation I'm pretty sure he went to a male only school so of course he's going to be an advocate for something that disadvantages women and denigrates them as inferior because they don't have a swollen clitoris on the outside of their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    You didn't answer the question.
    The answer is I don't care and just find it funny that people will throw away minimum wage employees for similar things left and right, but once it's anyone even remotely educated or rich, they flip their fucking lids over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Never listen?

Being white gives you privilege. There is no wiggle room added into that statement, Nixx. You did not say it may give you privilege, you said it does give you privilege. You introduced the absolute.
    Now you're equivocating.

You can have white privilege while still being poor and being unprivileged in that area. They don't cancel each other out.

If it was only a joke, I feel this was an overreaction, but calling him privileged is stupid. He worked hard and dedicated his life to his field of study and was properly awarded.

I want to know where the pressure came from, actual female scientists (many posted funny pictures of them in lab attire and the joke being, they iz not sexy at all in those cloths) or modern femnazis who would make Susan B Anthony roll in her grave.

And nowhere did I say that white people can't experience racism but certainly not from black people because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    This is the most idiotic thing I've read in a while. Now I remember the OP, didn't recall them with this avatar. Which raises the Poe's law...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You can have white privilege while still being poor and being unprivileged in that area. They don't cancel each other out.
    Of cource they do any other claim is pure discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Yeah and in what miraculous fantasy world is it that nobody gets offended by anything? This has been happening since the 50ies back when people even got fired already for making stupid public remarks about fat people. Maximizing profits = don't offend anyone at all. Unless your product depends on controversy to sell.
    What was considered normal back in the 50s would never have flown today.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo...ads#.bkL42VJlk
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

this joke he said could of been worded differently, and formed into more of a personal story than a joke, and it could of still had the small comedic effect that he i guess thought it would have

"Over the years in the lab I've found that working with women in particular can be difficult at times, having fell in love with female scientists and women of science have fallen in love with me, and whenever there was criticism about their work, crying and teary eyes were in order a lot of times"

something to that effect, at least has more taste and more context, the original statement doesn't even make sense, after reading his "apology" i think if he had tried to convey that message of being honest, and that his personal experience was that there was a lot of crying, regardless of it being because of the female scientists, i think it would gone over a bit better and found kinda funny, because some people would say that's true, women do cry more then men and tensions ran high, add in love and you have a combination that needs explaining

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How about all those little princesses that got hurt by this joke go and jump down from a cliff.

Seriously, these "feminist" idiots are crazy.

Oh sod off. That "joke" was out of place. It's like going to a fund-raising to help autistic people and say "there are three things... you smile, they smile and when you talk to them they just drool all over themselves and stare at you blankly". There is a thing called TACT in our world, and however much we hate it we don't use the same tone to speak to our close friends and to our boss. You know what could have saved him in all this? to just add "I jest, if anything they make us cry" or "and we cry a little inside too when women criticize us". I dunno, anything! Basically, there is a way to get a joke across without coming off as a jerk, ESPECIALLY when your audience isn't on the same page with you: it was a conference about science, not his 5 mins of glory in stand-up comedy.

Granted, it was not worth him being sacked since his scientific contribution is far too important, but I can't help but feel many people who "contributed" like him get on a very high horse and think that they can say anything without any repercussions. In any case, his punishment is way too sever, but those women have the right to be offended. Despite not meaning to do it, he reduced their professionalism in the scientific field to a simple emotional mess, saying that a woman cannot take criticism at work like a pro. It would be the same as reducing a man's professionalism to simple bodily reactions: You fall in love, he falls in love and when you criticize him he just gets erect and salivates. Uncool man, uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    You should just lead with this, so people know where you stand and can ignore you.
    I won't go into this because it's a completely different topic but black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.

The answer is I don't care
    Cool. Others do.

You can have white privilege while still being poor and being unprivileged in that area.
    You need to actually have a privilege associated with your race for you to have white privilege. The problem with statements such as your own is they remove the individual conditions from the equation. Find one white person in which no special rights or considerations have been awarded to them, and your statement falls apart. In this case, anecdotes are handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Almost as bad as that guy who wore a shirt that offended people shortly after landing a probe on an asteroid.

Because if we're going to play this type of game, how can you possibly say that saving thousands or even millions of lives doesn't outweigh ending one?
    Not only are you on some extremely slippery slope, but I'm not seeing how saving millions of lives doesn't outweigh ending one.

Deleted
    I just imagined a celebration room full of highly educated woman being part of a feminist movement, when an old guy climbs up the stairs of the stage just to tell a joke about a pneumatic blonde while holding a glass of prosecco.

Something like that deserves punishment.

Deleted
    He made a sexist comment - which he claims was a joke, sure, sure. And then he got fired. I don't see the problem. In pretty much any job, if an employee does something inappropriate they can be fired regardless of their productivity. It's not like he can't find work elsewhere. His apology is a complete non-sequitur anyway. How is complaining about women crying and falling in love with him (which...I doubt happens often) anything to do with his own shortcomings, as he puts it?

And there's really no need for gender segregated labs so long as everyone is mature enough to keep it in their pants. It's also a suggestion that assumes heteronormativity. Should gay guys be shipped off to the female labs? Should bisexuals not be allowed to work with others?

His apology wasn't much of an apology. It's like saying 'I'm sorry for saying this...but I actually believe some of it is true'
    That's exactly how an apology works. Or would you prefer an apology where he lies, too?

Now when are you starting to support him as you said?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I won't go into this because it's a completely different topic but black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    The gift that just keeps on giving.

Deleted
    If they can't accept apologys they are a problem.

Really a sincere apology should be enough for this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruna View Post
    Oh sod off. That "joke" was out of place. It's like going to a fund-raising to help autistic people and say "there are three things... you smile, they smile and when you talk to them they just drool all over themselves and stare at you blankly". There is a thing called TACT in our world, and however much we hate it we don't use the same tone to speak to our close friends and to our boss. You know what could have saved him in all this? to just add "I jest, if anything they make us cry" or "and we cry a little inside too when women criticize us". I dunno, anything! Basically, there is a way to get a joke across without coming off as a jerk, ESPECIALLY when your audience isn't on the same page with you: it was a conference about science, not his 5 mins of glory in stand-up comedy.

Granted, it was not worth him being sacked since his scientific contribution is far too important, but I can't help but feel many people who "contributed" like him get on a very high horse and think that they can say anything without any repercussions. In any case, his punishment is way too sever, but those women have the right to be offended. Despite not meaning to do it, he reduced their professionalism in the scientific field to a simple emotional mess, saying that a woman cannot take criticism at work like a pro. It would be the same as reducing a man's professionalism to simple bodily reactions: You fall in love, he falls in love and when you criticize him he just gets erect and salivates. Uncool man, uncool.
    Preach! Yass.

Well if anything he was right about what he said, they can't take a joke and start crying.