Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
15
55
... LastLast
  1. #81
    this joke he said could of been worded differently, and formed into more of a personal story than a joke, and it could of still had the small comedic effect that he i guess thought it would have

    "Over the years in the lab I've found that working with women in particular can be difficult at times, having fell in love with female scientists and women of science have fallen in love with me, and whenever there was criticism about their work, crying and teary eyes were in order a lot of times"

    something to that effect, at least has more taste and more context, the original statement doesn't even make sense, after reading his "apology" i think if he had tried to convey that message of being honest, and that his personal experience was that there was a lot of crying, regardless of it being because of the female scientists, i think it would gone over a bit better and found kinda funny, because some people would say that's true, women do cry more then men and tensions ran high, add in love and you have a combination that needs explaining

  2. #82
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How about all those little princesses that got hurt by this joke go and jump down from a cliff.

    Seriously, these "feminist" idiots are crazy.

    Oh sod off. That "joke" was out of place. It's like going to a fund-raising to help autistic people and say "there are three things... you smile, they smile and when you talk to them they just drool all over themselves and stare at you blankly". There is a thing called TACT in our world, and however much we hate it we don't use the same tone to speak to our close friends and to our boss. You know what could have saved him in all this? to just add "I jest, if anything they make us cry" or "and we cry a little inside too when women criticize us". I dunno, anything! Basically, there is a way to get a joke across without coming off as a jerk, ESPECIALLY when your audience isn't on the same page with you: it was a conference about science, not his 5 mins of glory in stand-up comedy.

    Granted, it was not worth him being sacked since his scientific contribution is far too important, but I can't help but feel many people who "contributed" like him get on a very high horse and think that they can say anything without any repercussions. In any case, his punishment is way too sever, but those women have the right to be offended. Despite not meaning to do it, he reduced their professionalism in the scientific field to a simple emotional mess, saying that a woman cannot take criticism at work like a pro. It would be the same as reducing a man's professionalism to simple bodily reactions: You fall in love, he falls in love and when you criticize him he just gets erect and salivates. Uncool man, uncool.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    You should just lead with this, so people know where you stand and can ignore you.
    I won't go into this because it's a completely different topic but black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.

  4. #84
    Legendary! Jaxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yogurt.
    Posts
    6,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The answer is I don't care
    Cool. Others do.


    You can have white privilege while still being poor and being unprivileged in that area.
    You need to actually have a privilege associated with your race for you to have white privilege. The problem with statements such as your own is they remove the individual conditions from the equation. Find one white person in which no special rights or considerations have been awarded to them, and your statement falls apart. In this case, anecdotes are handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

  5. #85
    Banned GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wokeville mah dood
    Posts
    45,475
    Almost as bad as that guy who wore a shirt that offended people shortly after landing a probe on an asteroid.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Because if we're going to play this type of game, how can you possibly say that saving thousands or even millions of lives doesn't outweigh ending one?
    Not only are you on some extremely slippery slope, but I'm not seeing how saving millions of lives doesn't outweigh ending one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

  7. #87
    Deleted
    I just imagined a celebration room full of highly educated woman being part of a feminist movement, when an old guy climbs up the stairs of the stage just to tell a joke about a pneumatic blonde while holding a glass of prosecco.

    Something like that deserves punishment.

  8. #88
    Deleted
    He made a sexist comment - which he claims was a joke, sure, sure. And then he got fired. I don't see the problem. In pretty much any job, if an employee does something inappropriate they can be fired regardless of their productivity. It's not like he can't find work elsewhere. His apology is a complete non-sequitur anyway. How is complaining about women crying and falling in love with him (which...I doubt happens often) anything to do with his own shortcomings, as he puts it?

    And there's really no need for gender segregated labs so long as everyone is mature enough to keep it in their pants. It's also a suggestion that assumes heteronormativity. Should gay guys be shipped off to the female labs? Should bisexuals not be allowed to work with others?

  9. #89
    The Unstoppable Force Puupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    22,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    His apology wasn't much of an apology. It's like saying 'I'm sorry for saying this...but I actually believe some of it is true'
    That's exactly how an apology works. Or would you prefer an apology where he lies, too?

    Now when are you starting to support him as you said?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I won't go into this because it's a completely different topic but black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    The gift that just keeps on giving.

  11. #91
    Deleted
    If they can't accept apologys they are a problem.

    Really a sincere apology should be enough for this stuff.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruna View Post
    Oh sod off. That "joke" was out of place. It's like going to a fund-raising to help autistic people and say "there are three things... you smile, they smile and when you talk to them they just drool all over themselves and stare at you blankly". There is a thing called TACT in our world, and however much we hate it we don't use the same tone to speak to our close friends and to our boss. You know what could have saved him in all this? to just add "I jest, if anything they make us cry" or "and we cry a little inside too when women criticize us". I dunno, anything! Basically, there is a way to get a joke across without coming off as a jerk, ESPECIALLY when your audience isn't on the same page with you: it was a conference about science, not his 5 mins of glory in stand-up comedy.

    Granted, it was not worth him being sacked since his scientific contribution is far too important, but I can't help but feel many people who "contributed" like him get on a very high horse and think that they can say anything without any repercussions. In any case, his punishment is way too sever, but those women have the right to be offended. Despite not meaning to do it, he reduced their professionalism in the scientific field to a simple emotional mess, saying that a woman cannot take criticism at work like a pro. It would be the same as reducing a man's professionalism to simple bodily reactions: You fall in love, he falls in love and when you criticize him he just gets erect and salivates. Uncool man, uncool.
    Preach! Yass.

  13. #93
    Well if anything he was right about what he said, they can't take a joke and start crying.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I did not misrepresent him. He misrepresented himself when he crossed a line with that so-called joke.
    How does that even work? Oo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

  15. #95
    Legendary! Jaxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yogurt.
    Posts
    6,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I won't go into this because it's a completely different topic but black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    So no black person has power?
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

  16. #96
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    So no black person has power?
    The priviledge to have a president the same skin colour as you.

  17. #97
    The Undying Kalis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Στην Κυπρο
    Posts
    32,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I did not misrepresent him. He misrepresented himself when he crossed a line with that so-called joke. His apology wasn't much of an apology. It's like saying 'I'm sorry for saying this...but I actually believe some of it is true' he said women are bad at handling criticism because of the fact that they are women that's sexism he also alluded to the idea that women because of their gender where a distraction to the men and even served as succubuses seducing the male scientists from the science.

    He grew up in an era of gender segregation I'm pretty sure he went to a male only school so of course he's going to be an advocate for something that disadvantages women and denigrates them as inferior because they don't have a swollen clitoris on the outside of their bodies.
    You have lied and misrepesented him.

    Here's your first two posts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...at a female scientist empowerment conference...
    Lie, it was at a science journalism conference.

    ...they are more concerned with falling in love with other scientists rather than the science.
    Misrepresentation, he didn't say that women would rather be doing anything than science.

    He was fired from his main post...
    Lie, he resigned. It's in the very article you linked, so there is no excuse for this.

    ...he made a complete mockery of women...
    This is just bollocks.

    ...his sacking...
    Repeating your earlier lie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    If my company sent me to a conference and I made an ignorant remark criticising the group of people that the conference was made for then I wouldn't be surprised to get fired. This is all that's happened here.
    Lie, he was invited, you just made that up as well. And again he wasn't fired

    He's been fired from his job...
    Repeating the same lie again.


    Pretty much everything you've said so far has either been a lie or misrepresentation.

  18. #98
    Legendary! Jaxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yogurt.
    Posts
    6,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    The priviledge to have a president the same skin colour as you.
    He's from Kenya. It doesn't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

  19. #99
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Feel free to try. You might find some tiny little Twilight Zone town where all white people are persecuted or something, but the majority of people who want to bitch about how they can't possibly have white privilege just have no fucking clue what they're talking about in the first place.
    Given the negative correlation of racism and education its pretty sure that living in an overwhelmingly black neighbourhood will make you victim of racism.

    Thats not bitching its plain fact and there is not only the power of the law.
    Street power without state mandate is power too.

  20. #100
    Legendary! Jaxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yogurt.
    Posts
    6,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Feel free to try. You might find some tiny little Twilight Zone town where all white people are persecuted or something, but the majority of people who want to bitch about how they can't possibly have white privilege just have no fucking clue what they're talking about in the first place.
    Persecuted? Why do they have to be persecuted to not have special rights and accommodations awarded to them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •