Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How about all those little princesses that got hurt by this joke go and jump down from a cliff.

Seriously, these "feminist" idiots are crazy.

Oh sod off. That "joke" was out of place. It's like going to a fund-raising to help autistic people and say "there are three things... you smile, they smile and when you talk to them they just drool all over themselves and stare at you blankly". There is a thing called TACT in our world, and however much we hate it we don't use the same tone to speak to our close friends and to our boss. You know what could have saved him in all this? to just add "I jest, if anything they make us cry" or "and we cry a little inside too when women criticize us". I dunno, anything! Basically, there is a way to get a joke across without coming off as a jerk, ESPECIALLY when your audience isn't on the same page with you: it was a conference about science, not his 5 mins of glory in stand-up comedy.

Granted, it was not worth him being sacked since his scientific contribution is far too important, but I can't help but feel many people who "contributed" like him get on a very high horse and think that they can say anything without any repercussions. In any case, his punishment is way too sever, but those women have the right to be offended. Despite not meaning to do it, he reduced their professionalism in the scientific field to a simple emotional mess, saying that a woman cannot take criticism at work like a pro. It would be the same as reducing a man's professionalism to simple bodily reactions: You fall in love, he falls in love and when you criticize him he just gets erect and salivates. Uncool man, uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    You should just lead with this, so people know where you stand and can ignore you.
    I won't go into this because it's a completely different topic but black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The answer is I don't care
    Cool. Others do.

You can have white privilege while still being poor and being unprivileged in that area.
    You need to actually have a privilege associated with your race for you to have white privilege. The problem with statements such as your own is they remove the individual conditions from the equation. Find one white person in which no special rights or considerations have been awarded to them, and your statement falls apart. In this case, anecdotes are handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost as bad as that guy who wore a shirt that offended people shortly after landing a probe on an asteroid.

Because if we're going to play this type of game, how can you possibly say that saving thousands or even millions of lives doesn't outweigh ending one?
    Not only are you on some extremely slippery slope, but I'm not seeing how saving millions of lives doesn't outweigh ending one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    I just imagined a celebration room full of highly educated woman being part of a feminist movement, when an old guy climbs up the stairs of the stage just to tell a joke about a pneumatic blonde while holding a glass of prosecco.

Something like that deserves punishment.

Deleted
    He made a sexist comment - which he claims was a joke, sure, sure. And then he got fired. I don't see the problem. In pretty much any job, if an employee does something inappropriate they can be fired regardless of their productivity. It's not like he can't find work elsewhere. His apology is a complete non-sequitur anyway. How is complaining about women crying and falling in love with him (which...I doubt happens often) anything to do with his own shortcomings, as he puts it?

And there's really no need for gender segregated labs so long as everyone is mature enough to keep it in their pants. It's also a suggestion that assumes heteronormativity. Should gay guys be shipped off to the female labs? Should bisexuals not be allowed to work with others?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    His apology wasn't much of an apology. It's like saying 'I'm sorry for saying this...but I actually believe some of it is true'
    That's exactly how an apology works. Or would you prefer an apology where he lies, too?

Now when are you starting to support him as you said?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I won't go into this because it's a completely different topic but black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    The gift that just keeps on giving.

Deleted
    If they can't accept apologys they are a problem.

Really a sincere apology should be enough for this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruna View Post
    Oh sod off. That "joke" was out of place. It's like going to a fund-raising to help autistic people and say "there are three things... you smile, they smile and when you talk to them they just drool all over themselves and stare at you blankly". There is a thing called TACT in our world, and however much we hate it we don't use the same tone to speak to our close friends and to our boss. You know what could have saved him in all this? to just add "I jest, if anything they make us cry" or "and we cry a little inside too when women criticize us". I dunno, anything! Basically, there is a way to get a joke across without coming off as a jerk, ESPECIALLY when your audience isn't on the same page with you: it was a conference about science, not his 5 mins of glory in stand-up comedy.

Granted, it was not worth him being sacked since his scientific contribution is far too important, but I can't help but feel many people who "contributed" like him get on a very high horse and think that they can say anything without any repercussions. In any case, his punishment is way too sever, but those women have the right to be offended. Despite not meaning to do it, he reduced their professionalism in the scientific field to a simple emotional mess, saying that a woman cannot take criticism at work like a pro. It would be the same as reducing a man's professionalism to simple bodily reactions: You fall in love, he falls in love and when you criticize him he just gets erect and salivates. Uncool man, uncool.
    Preach! Yass.

Well if anything he was right about what he said, they can't take a joke and start crying.

I did not misrepresent him. He misrepresented himself when he crossed a line with that so-called joke.
    How does that even work? Oo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    So no black person has power?
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    So no black person has power?
    The priviledge to have a president the same skin colour as you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not misrepresent him. He misrepresented himself when he crossed a line with that so-called joke. His apology wasn't much of an apology. It's like saying 'I'm sorry for saying this...but I actually believe some of it is true' he said women are bad at handling criticism because of the fact that they are women that's sexism he also alluded to the idea that women because of their gender where a distraction to the men and even served as succubuses seducing the male scientists from the science.

He grew up in an era of gender segregation I'm pretty sure he went to a male only school so of course he's going to be an advocate for something that disadvantages women and denigrates them as inferior because they don't have a swollen clitoris on the outside of their bodies.
    You have lied and misrepesented him.

Here's your first two posts...

...at a female scientist empowerment conference...
    Lie, it was at a science journalism conference.

...they are more concerned with falling in love with other scientists rather than the science.
    Misrepresentation, he didn't say that women would rather be doing anything than science.

He was fired from his main post...
    Lie, he resigned. It's in the very article you linked, so there is no excuse for this.

...he made a complete mockery of women...
    This is just bollocks.

...his sacking...
    Repeating your earlier lie.

If my company sent me to a conference and I made an ignorant remark criticising the group of people that the conference was made for then I wouldn't be surprised to get fired. This is all that's happened here.
    Lie, he was invited, you just made that up as well. And again he wasn't fired

He's been fired from his job...
    Repeating the same lie again.

Pretty much everything you've said so far has either been a lie or misrepresentation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    The priviledge to have a president the same skin colour as you.
    He's from Kenya. It doesn't count.

Deleted
    Feel free to try. You might find some tiny little Twilight Zone town where all white people are persecuted or something, but the majority of people who want to bitch about how they can't possibly have white privilege just have no fucking clue what they're talking about in the first place.
    Given the negative correlation of racism and education its pretty sure that living in an overwhelmingly black neighbourhood will make you victim of racism.

Thats not bitching its plain fact and there is not only the power of the law.
    Street power without state mandate is power too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel free to try. You might find some tiny little Twilight Zone town where all white people are persecuted or something, but the majority of people who want to bitch about how they can't possibly have white privilege just have no fucking clue what they're talking about in the first place.
    Persecuted? Why do they have to be persecuted to not have special rights and accommodations awarded to them?

I'm a liberal, but it is really scary how a lot of liberals out there today will try to complain on the media until the point where someone gets fired just because they didn't like a viewpoint or joke that some celebrity/well known person made. I think it implements a 1984 like scenario when people try to suppress speech just because they disagree with it.