Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Yeah. Way way way over rated.

It gets put on this standalone pedestal, which it doesn't deserve.
    Don't be jelly of Sephiroth I'm sure you are really cool too!

I'm really interested in seeing the combat mechanics. FF7 was the first RPG game that I've completed and I have fond memories of it.

Yeah. Way way way over rated.

It gets put on this standalone pedestal, which it doesn't deserve.
    Nah, Cloud has the anime hair. Sephiroth has flowing elf hair. He secretly wanted to be Elrond all his life and when he couldn't, that's what made him decide to destroy the world.

That said, FF7 deserves a lot of recognition. You can dislike it as a game, and I'll even agree it's not the best in the series, but its impact on videogames and the influence it had bringing videogames more to the mainstream as an acceptable hobby is definitely there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roidz View Post
    7 is one of the best RPG stories ever. I mean like god damn thats a good storyline.

One game i wish they would remake is Xenogears but thatll never ever ever happen.
    6 had a better story line...but because it was on the SNES it got overlooked by the FF7 crowd (many of whom skipped the SNES or were too young).

FFVI deserves a true remake (not that horrible "HD" remake they put out on mobiles, either).
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    4 was remade with voice acting.

It was excellent.

There is no reason to not do 6.
    There's a higher demand for it, that's why and it was the first FF to come out on a sony platform not nintendo.
    Plus 6 has the 2D thing going for it, 7 really is first age 3D graphics and modelling and let's be honest it looks terrible today.

I think FF 8, 9, 10 are the best. But that is my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Cautiously optimistic. There's a lot of light-hearted stupid shit in VII that I worry won't translate very well from cute, low-poly, blocky cartoons to fully expressive models, and Square has taken VII's spinoffs/sequels/prequels in a very dark and angsty direction since then.

Who knows though. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the airship and stuff.
    Considering the trailer i think this will be a full re-make, however i do expect to be charged the price of almost a new game for it.
    I'm seeing this as SE's testbed to see how far can they go with remaking and getting sales, the remastered editions did great so now they are doing it step by step.
    Story wise and mechanic wise they have a lot of the work done already especially even if we factor in them using the engine of the new FF games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    That said, FF7 deserves a lot of recognition. You can dislike it as a game, and I'll even agree it's not the best in the series, but its impact on videogames and the influence it had bringing videogames more to the mainstream as an acceptable hobby is definitely there.
    Pretty much it introduced a lot of people to the JRPG's in the western world. I won't go as far as saying it made gaming an acceptable hobby, it still isn't today and we are in the "it's cool to be a nerd" time.

I never got through FF7. I don't remember exactly why though, so I'd give it another shot.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of the quality of the actual game, this is mostly because it was simply in the right place at the right time. Shiny 3d graphics!

Nah, Cloud has the anime hair. Sephiroth has flowing elf hair. He secretly wanted to be Elrond all his life and when he couldn't, that's what made him decide to destroy the world.

I don't dislike it.

And what impact?
    And how did it bring videogames into the mainstream? Video games have been a mainstream form of entertainment for a long time son.

As I said, it was the last Final Fantasy game before they decided to start fucking around with everything that made the series tick. I'd call it the last of the "Classic" final fantasy games, some would say 9 meandered back in that direction briefly, but FF9 was probably one of the shortest final fantasy games.

FF7 was the last super big and long epic one. It was also the first to toy with cyberpunk (while the previous ones were more steampunk)

But as somebody said, why the fuck does 6 always get overlooked for the remakes? It had the darkest story of all of them. I'm not saying 6 did everything right:

Way too many "main" characters.
    And the equipment and magic systems were 100% generic.
    Character special abilities were too wussy to bother with, thus you'd just deck out your guys in powerful equipment, learn them all the best magic and forget that they had anything unique about them.

FF7 took the scope of FF6 but reduced the number of characters and added the limit break system which gave each of the characters something uber powerful and unique to play with.

No, it wasn't the first to kill off a main character (Tellah, use the meteo!)

Also I think FF7 had a plot that was more recognizable and relevant to modern day life, (i.e. Makoro reactors, mining the lifeblood of the planet in order to create these marvelous towering cities while slowly killing the world)

At the same time you can get FF7 in all of it's original glory from various sources, it has all the eye candy cut scenes and everything, so I would say it's far from due for a remake.

Deleted
    Was a nice game, played it on the PS1, but I don't know why I would want to play it again just for fancier graphics.
    But then again, I love games like Dwarf Fortress and TOME, so I guess I just don't care about graphics. To each their own.

Trailer looks nice though!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    6 had a better story line...but because it was on the SNES it got overlooked by the FF7 crowd (many of whom skipped the SNES or were too young).

FFVI deserves a true remake (not that horrible "HD" remake they put out on mobiles, either).
    Compared to FFVII it would be quite a massive project to bring FFVI up to current level graphics considering the size of the world and different versions of it. At least from what I remember it was pretty huge and there were lots of hidden characters and side quests too. It also had more espers/summons. It would not be a proper remake if they didn't preserve all that freedom to adventure from the original game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ytlayol View Post
    I'm really interested in seeing the combat mechanics. FF7 was the first RPG game that I've completed and I have fond memories of it.
    I'm hoping they don't try to reinvent the wheel, or go too modern. There is a certain charm to those old RPGs of that time (FF6-9, Grandia 1-2, Skies of Arcadia etc) that I don't find in newer RPG's.. I think they should stay true to the original when it comes to combat, or tread very carefully when inovating forward.

I'd have the oldschool combat in an instant.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    HD Cloud cross dressing

It's not a perfect game, and by nowadays standards it has a lot of issues, but it was the right game at the right moment.

Final Fantasy 8, 9, X... none of those had the impact 7 had.

I don't think they can meet the expectations because the game was literally a revolution. You can't have the same impact as something that was new by remaking it, obviously. Personally, I hope they don't change too much stuff. I can see why some things have to go, and I can see how many others aren't ideal by nowadays standards, but if they remove too much, or add too much, they risk losing the 'style'.

Judging which changes are positive is highly subjective and abstract. Which is why, in my opinion, they should take as few risks as possible.

It's easier to defend not changing something that doesn't work anymore than unsucesfully changing something that wouldn't have worked according to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I'm hoping they don't try to reinvent the wheel, or go too modern. There is a certain charm to those old RPGs of that time (FF6-9, Grandia 1-2, Skies of Arcadia etc) that I don't find in newer RPG's.. I think they should stay true to the original when it comes to combat, or tread very carefully when inovating forward.

I'd have the oldschool combat in an instant.
    I would personally consider it to be pretty much ruined if they remove the older turn based combat style.

10+ Year Old Account
    i never understand the quibbling over the games

its too hype my fav game doesnt get enough recognition because its more oldschool etc

well you know what

Final Fantasy Tactics is an awesome game released shortly before Final Fantasy VII and none of my friends like it. They tried to play it and they just don't like it. That's life.

dudes with spiky hair and big swords saving the world, hot girls and crazy emo bad guys and a corrupt military trying to destroy it all is just a formula you can't fuck with. should have been a fucking movie lol

Quote Originally Posted by Crisius View Post
    They better keep the combat system as it was in FFVII aswell. I'll be extremely disappointed if they go in the same direction as they did with FFXII or that new one they're working on. Active combat doesn't suit the genre at all.
    that is why i don't recognize FF after 10 unless it's an MMO.

I don't dislike it.

And what impact?
    And how did it bring videogames into the mainstream? Video games have been a mainstream form of entertainment for a long time son.

As I said, it was the last Final Fantasy game before they decided to start fucking around with everything that made the series tick. I'd call it the last of the "Classic" final fantasy games, some would say 9 meandered back in that direction briefly, but FF9 was probably one of the shortest final fantasy games.

FF7 was the last super big and long epic one. It was also the first to toy with cyberpunk (while the previous ones were more steampunk)

But as somebody said, why the fuck does 6 always get overlooked for the remakes? It had the darkest story of all of them. I'm not saying 6 did everything right:

Way too many "main" characters.
    And the equipment and magic systems were 100% generic.
    Character special abilities were too wussy to bother with, thus you'd just deck out your guys in powerful equipment, learn them all the best magic and forget that they had anything unique about them.

FF7 took the scope of FF6 but reduced the number of characters and added the limit break system which gave each of the characters something uber powerful and unique to play with.

No, it wasn't the first to kill off a main character (Tellah, use the meteo!)

Also I think FF7 had a plot that was more recognizable and relevant to modern day life, (i.e. Makoro reactors, mining the lifeblood of the planet in order to create these marvelous towering cities while slowly killing the world)

At the same time you can get FF7 in all of it's original glory from various sources, it has all the eye candy cut scenes and everything, so I would say it's far from due for a remake.
    First, let me completely agree with you that FF6 deserves a remake far more than any of the other games in the series. To me it was head and shoulders above everything else. Complex stories that dealt with real and even difficult issues. The tons of main characters allowed you to identify with some and or all of them and each had very unique personalities as well as differing motivations. Excellent magic system with Espers that allowed you to build your characters the way you wanted, although 7's materia system was pretty darn good too.

However, with all of that said, 7 has been widely recognized as the JRPG that really brought JRPGs into the limelight for many gamers out there. While I have been a rpg gamer for as long as I can remember (my first fond memories of playing Dragon Warrior on the NES around the age of 8), JRPGs were still pretty niche at the time of 7's release. Additionally, it was also the first Final Fantasy that was actually harder in the International version as opposed to the NA versions being dumbed down as they had been in some previous FF games. The International release of 7 had the extra hard mode bosses that were missing from the JP version. Additionally, I also believe it was the first JRPG with extensive media coverage here in the states (not sure about europe). Massive ad campaign before the release and a ton of coverage in more mainstream magazines at the time (like Rolling Stone).

I would agree that gaming in general was very mainstream given the success of Mortal Kombat, Doom and even Duke Nukem (which all were part of the culture at large). FF7 is the mostly fondly remembered due to it being the first, "rockstar", rpg in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    that is why i don't recognize FF after 10 unless it's an MMO.
    After 10?

10 was the first one that reduced airship travel to a menu system in order to hide the tiny scope of the game.

Previous to that it was all "OMFG I HAVE AN AIRSHIP!!" *Fly around randomly for 10 minutes*

Well, except FF9, which had very few places to actually go, 90% of which were blocked off once the world was advanced to the final phase.