They're supposedly making it episodic so they don't have to cut out any content - which makes sense given the sheer size of the original game. It'll make even more sense if they end up adding additional content - which I'm hoping they do. More locations to explore and side quests would be brilliant. Maybe a couple of additional super hard optional boss fights...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    More locations to explore and side quests would be brilliant. Maybe a couple of additional super hard optional boss fights...
    Well as they've alreaedy announced that the reason they're making it episodically is because they're adding new areas (i.e. you'll be able to explore ALL of Midgar), I think you'll get your wish .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Well as they've alreaedy announced that the reason they're making it episodically is because they're adding new areas (i.e. you'll be able to explore ALL of Midgar), I think you'll get your wish .
    Oh? Nice. I was always interested in seeing more of Midgar. It's such a huge city but you only see part of it in the original game. I'm guessing they may even make places like The Gold Saucer and Junon much bigger as well.

Something that worries me about this 'episodic' thingie is this:

At the later levels of the game... will I be able to go back to areas previously visited? I mean, in the first game, at any moment in the game (provided you had the transportation to do so) you could return to Midgard... or the chocobo ranch... or visit any other area you've already gone through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh? Nice. I was always interested in seeing more of Midgar. It's such a huge city but you only see part of it in the original game. I'm guessing they may even make places like The Gold Saucer and Junon much bigger as well.
    Indeed, they've said that all the sectors will be explorable, which could be fun... It could also be a HUGE waste of time if there's nothing there worth doing.

I'm REALLY hoping they expand on Gold Saucer and not just for DLC stuff.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Indeed, they've said that all the sectors will be explorable, which could be fun... It could also be a HUGE waste of time if there's nothing there worth doing.

I'm REALLY hoping they expand on Gold Saucer and not just for DLC stuff.
    I wonder if they mean the lower sector slums and the upper sectors? We never really got to explore the upper part of the city. If they plan to make an entire game out of disc one, though, then it makes sense. I'm guessing we'll see more scenes with Shinra (possibly fleshing out some of the main employees in the process) and the rivalry with the Turks being played up.

Overall I'm pretty excited - and my gut feeling (which is rarely wrong) makes me think I'll really like this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we need to stop labeling it as "Episodic" because even though I am not a fan of this structure I think people are over exaggerating what they are doing. You should think more of FF13, 13-2, and Lightning Returns rather than Telltale.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I think we need to stop labeling it as "Episodic" because even though I am not a fan of this structure I think people are over exaggerating what they are doing. You should think more of FF13, 13-2, and Lightning Returns rather than Telltale.
    See not to be pessimistic about it, but right now we only know it will be episodic. Not how frequently they will release the next "episode" or how big each part actually is. With how big FF7 was when it was released it makes me nervous that it's going to be a corridor game with some exploration rather than an "open world" like we got in the original. Also, how are they going to make it work once all the parts are released...can you play it as one game from start to finish with no interruptions or is it a okay you finished this part move to the next type game style. The former would truly ruin it for me personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    See not to be pessimistic about it, but right now we only know it will be episodic. Not how frequently they will release the next "episode" or how big each part actually is. With how big FF7 was when it was released it makes me nervous that it's going to be a corridor game with some exploration rather than an "open world" like we got in the original. Also, how are they going to make it work once all the parts are released...can you play it as one game from start to finish with no interruptions or is it a okay you finished this part move to the next type game style. The former would truly ruin it for me personally.
    They said each part would be the size of a full game. If you consider a full game to be 10 hours minimum then that is far larger than an episode in a traditional episodic game.

People are running around saying, "Oh each episode will be like 2 hours" when that is either not true or Square is straight up lying to us.

This doesn't seem to make sense unless the parts of FF7 are going to be so incredibly spaced apart, and I mean by years.

If you really want 3 years between the first part and the last part, that's fine for you, but holy shit that's blasphemous to me. Especially when they're, on one hand, saying that they NEED to do this because it's such a large game, while also on the other hand saying, "Whelp now we can just add more!"

Not exactly allaying my fears that they're just doing it to milk people's nostalgia for cash. Not that what I've seen so far made me want to buy the game in the first place. It didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overall I'm pretty excited - and my gut feeling (which is rarely wrong) makes me think I'll really like this game.
    Oh man I'd love to explore the fancy parts of Midgar, we only really got to explore the slums and Shinra Tower, I'd love to check out the WHOLE of the city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    This doesn't seem to make sense unless the parts of FF7 are going to be so incredibly spaced apart, and I mean by years.

If you really want 3 years between the first part and the last part, that's fine for you, but holy shit that's blasphemous to me. Especially when they're, on one hand, saying that they NEED to do this because it's such a large game, while also on the other hand saying, "Whelp now we can just add more!"

Not exactly allaying my fears that they're just doing it to milk people's nostalgia for cash. Not that what I've seen so far made me want to buy the game in the first place. It didn't.
    It doesn't matter what makes sense to you. They specifically said that the parts would be the size of a full game. So, once again, either they are lying to us, because a 2 hour episode is absolutely not the size of a full AAA game, or it will in fact be 10+ hours at least.

Here is a link so you don't have to take my word for it: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/12...ll-sized-game/

So then you're happy with at least 3 years between the first part and the end?

I like you ignored that bit, which was the entire point of my comment.

Deleted
    If it is episodic then I'm guessing we are getting level gating (which will probably suck) because 99% of players are going to finish the content and with nothing left until the next "Episode" they are going to try max their stats. They are so going to cock block that.

I can't see a way around it. If they don't then players will max stats and it will be faceroll. If they gate it or worse reset stats then it is meaningless.

Goodbye materia levelling system?
    Last edited by mmoc79cd15b503; 2015-12-15 at 04:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    So then you're happy with at least 3 years between the first part and the end?

I like you ignored that bit, which was the entire point of my comment.
    I like how you've made assumptions when I've never stated my opinion. But to be honest I don't really care. It's a shitty situation regardless, but realistically it will either be 2 hours episodes and then the seasons will be spaced a year or more apart or just bigger chunks every year or so.

They could do like a 2 hour episode every month or so until they are done, but honestly I have other games to play and I'd rather just play it in big chunks rather than having to revisit it every once in a while, while there are other great games coming out.

Oh man I'd love to explore the fancy parts of Midgar, we only really got to explore the slums and Shinra Tower, I'd love to check out the WHOLE of the city.
    The stuff shown in the trailer of Midgar is very opulent. I'm actually playing through the PS4 version of FF7 and making a list of places I really want to see in the remake. I'm sure Nibelheim will be very charming.

...I also wonder how they'll handle the profanity and mature themes. There's a guy clearly jerking off near the start of the game for example - and Cloud's cross-dressing, the near naked guys bathing with him and Aeris' death.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...I also wonder how they'll handle the profanity and mature themes. There's a guy clearly jerking off near the start of the game for example - and Cloud's cross-dressing, the near naked guys bathing with him and Aeris' death.
    Tbh, I know it'll never happen but I kinda hope they slap an M rating on it and just go to fucking TOWN.

The same way they handled it in the original game. No nudity, no blood, no swearing = T rating.

It doesn't matter what makes sense to you. They specifically said that the parts would be the size of a full game. So, once again, either they are lying to us, because a 2 hour episode is absolutely not the size of a full AAA game, or it will in fact be 10+ hours at least.

Here is a link so you don't have to take my word for it: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/12...ll-sized-game/
    Which would make sense.

10+ hours per Episode would feel about right if they did 3-4 episodes.

That would make it a standard (or rather the then-standard, since today some are shorter or far longer) JRPG length of 30-40hrs.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

My issue with the episodes is simply that the game was about forty hours if you played it through. It turned into well over a hundred if you leveled the materia, went after emerald/ruby weapon, did stuff at the golden saucer or did chocobo racing. How are they going to handle that stuff in episodic form?