Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    So how is this playing solo? I didn't have much interest in playing it but then I realized I could play it using the game pass but is it worth playing if you have no one to play with?

You can be put into a group with other players if you want. If you do play solo the game is still enjoyable imo. Bit lonelier and no one to watch your back but you can still play the game. I suggest not doing fortresses unless other crews are already doing them. I think that's way to hard to do solo.
    "If you lose sight of something, the only person who can find it again is you"

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    I'm apparently dog shit at following a map to find treasures. LOL
    get a compass bearing of the direction from where you are to where you are going before setting off and follow that heading, when nothing is happening while under way, just leave the helm and go check your map and check your heading. if you're already doing basically that, i got nothin for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    So how is this playing solo? I didn't have much interest in playing it but then I realized I could play it using the game pass but is it worth playing if you have no one to play with?
    It's good solo, but a different experience. In general solo you only have to worry about 2 man Sloops (Sloops are the 1 or 2 man ships), because Galleons are too unwieldy to really be a threat unless the Sloop is the aggressor.
    If you are on a higher level treasure mission the solo play can suck too because there will be multiple treasure chests on an island and well your ship is vulnerable and so are you.
    Not going to lie, if we are going to the same treasure island that a sloop is at, we will sink it and kill the player because we get all the treasure he dug up +the mission we are on. Which likely means he was on the same mission, so it's double reward for us. It's a pirate game, clearly that's the point.

But the game has match making that will put you on a pirate crew, as long as everyone has an idea of what's going on it's a fucking brilliant time. I've also taken part in some serious 1v1v1 Galleon battles near a Skull Fortress with them shooting as well. The game is out of control at points, and it's not exactly done in a cheap way. Dying never really feels frustrating, really boils down to you making a mistake. As a solo player those mistakes include not being aware of your surroundings.

I’m already hearing about the extreme lack of content in this game and how people are already bored with it within the first 48 hours. Seeing many people say it feels like 10% of a finished product that yet again has the nerve to charge $60 for this nonsense. And supposedly the first update for the game is doing nothing more than adding a cash shop and no actual content?

This is what I was afraid of with this game. The whole design philosophy is made to be so super casual that it becomes stale within a day or two of play. Couple this with the fact that there is basically a non existent progression system, an extremely repetitive barebones quest system, three factions that are all basically the same as each other, a big open but empty world, and a PvP system that is the ultimate form of griefing........yeah. I mean I didn’t have high hopes for this game to begin with, but it sounds extremely bad so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I’m already hearing about the extreme lack of content in this game and how people are already bored with it within the first 48 hours. Seeing many people say it feels like 10% of a finished product that yet again has the nerve to charge $60 for this nonsense. And supposedly the first update for the game is doing nothing more than adding a cash shop and no actual content?

This is what I was afraid of with this game. The whole design philosophy is made to be so super casual that it becomes stale within a day or two of play. Couple this with the fact that there is basically a non existent progression system, an extremely repetitive barebones quest system, three factions that are all basically the same as each other, a big open but empty world, and a PvP system that is the ultimate form of griefing........yeah. I mean I didn’t have high hopes for this game to begin with, but it sounds extremely bad so far.
    At least you can try the game for free for 14 days, or for pretty cheap if you already used your pass free trial.

But yea, I don't know how they took like 5 years to develop this project. It really feels barebones, hell if the performance wasn't good I would almost say it feels like an early access game.

I’m already hearing about the extreme lack of content in this game and how people are already bored with it within the first 48 hours. Seeing many people say it feels like 10% of a finished product that yet again has the nerve to charge $60 for this nonsense.
    That's why I've gone the free 2 week trial of XBOXLive on Windows10 route to play it. Messed around a bit with 1 other this afternoon and later on there will be eight more people joining us. I don't think I'm gonna be buying it though especially as 4 man crew seems to be max and it's apparently 20 max per server. If all 10 of us can't get on the same server later on then that's basically game done and dusted for us tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wife got it for free through work, so i figured id download via gamepass and we would give it a shot. Only played for an hour or so before we got bored. Unfortunately, i dont see this game lasting to terribly long. It is pretty to look at, but the small server size and lack of any progression or looping progression mechanic gives basically zero incentive to play it. I feel this game was made to promote Gamepass and that is it.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

that's how even triple A companies make games these days.

take forever to make a game, gotta release it because they need sales, they can't work forever earning nothing, game is like 30% complete, then they want players to get excited about future updates in the way of paid DLC, or a cash shop, maybe you'll get tiny free updates but those should have been in the game since release so you're just getting what you're owed. basically sell you 1/3rd of the game for $60, then slowly release the other 70% over the next year or two but make you pay for it every step of the way.

it's a joke to be honest, companies are far too inefficient at making games these days, whatever time they think they need, multiply by 1.5 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    At least you can try the game for free for 14 days, or for pretty cheap if you already used your pass free trial.

But yea, I don't know how they took like 5 years to develop this project. It really feels barebones, hell if the performance wasn't good I would almost say it feels like an early access game.
    True. The only way this game is worth it right now is if you already have the Xbox Games Pass and you can play it as part of that. Otherwise it’s nowhere near worth $60.

And that’s the comparison I keep hearing as well. Most people still feel like this is an Early Access game that they just went ahead and launched for full price. *sigh* Just a sign of the times in the video game industry I guess.

True. The only way this game is worth it right now is if you already have the Xbox Games Pass and you can play it as part of that. Otherwise it’s nowhere near worth $60.

And that’s the comparison I keep hearing as well. Most people still feel like this is an Early Access game that they just went ahead and launched for full price. *sigh* Just a sign of the times in the video game industry I guess.
    Yup. Release an unfinished game with the promise of free updates (for advertisements) for triple a price.

Classic
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

My biggest turn off of this game is that all developed gear for ships and pirates are mainly cosmetics If this game developed RPG element and managed to give you a real progression loot and gear system the game would be better than its current state. What a waste game that went down to drain, I feel sorry for all people that purchased it at 60$ and they will realize how poor it is after 2 weeks maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
    My biggest turn off of this game is that all developed gear for ships and pirates are mainly cosmetics If this game developed RPG element and managed to give you a real progression loot and gear system the game would be better than its current state. What a waste game that went down to drain, I feel sorry for all people that purchased it at 60$ and they will realize how poor it is after 2 weeks maximum.
    Even with RPG progression it'd get boring fast. This game has zero content. You have 2 ship types, 1-2 quest types, a couple of animals and enemies and most of the islands look the same. There's only one shot type, what happened to grape shots, chain shots, grappling for example? There's no incentive to do anything and the one or two different activities you do play out exactly the same every single time.

About 5-10 hours of gameplay before you get bored of admiring the pretty sea. I can't even imagine playing this solo. Game as it is right now is worth 10$ at most, if you ask me.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

The game is a lot of fun with friends, but honestly I don’t find it that enjoyable with ransoms or solo. It’s fun, but I won’t be buying it at all, I’ll keep my games pass sub going though which is fine, but it has lots of opportunity it be amazing and they didn’t seem to catch on to how much potential thebgame had. RPG elements would actually make the game so much better and it’s such a small(well kind of big) thing to add...hopefully they realize it and add it later.

A pirate simulator without any real reason to pirate. How could you fuck up something so easy? Make a playable pirate faction. Make a playable Government faction. Make a playable trade faction. They war with one another. Add ports and cities and certain ports allow the selling of pillaged goods. Each faction has different access to arms and ships. Larger crews.

Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    When you’ve got a good group the game is quite fun. But I often find myself auto sent to the brig when joining groups for no apparent reason.

Also ship on ship combat is few and far between. Usually one ship just circles around the other, gets tired of missing every shot and goes away.

Closest thing I’ve seen to proper ship combat is when someone decided to ram into us and try to board. They failed and landed in the ocean then me and the only other person on my ship went in after them and killed them both while our ship sailed away because we forgot to lower the anchor.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Yup. Release an unfinished game with the promise of free updates (for advertisements) for triple a price.

Classic
    This is pretty much the game in a nutshell. Though to be fair, the core system and feeling of just sailing the seas is quite amazing. If they had bothered to develop this game beyond the 10% stage, it would be one of the greatest games ever. It needs long term progression, crafting, more variety in missions, a pve and pvp mode, some sort of rewards system for pvp/lawful actions, a robust housing system, etc.
    BAD WOLF

I was hoping i would finally have a new xbone game to interest me but everyone i know that bought it is calling it "the xboxes no mans sky" and boy if that aint pure repellant to me at this point. Hopefully its just launch bullshit because god damn do i want to see rare make real games instead of shovelware again.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I was hoping i would finally have a new xbone game to interest me but everyone i know that bought it is calling it "the xboxes no mans sky" and boy if that aint pure repellant to me at this point. Hopefully its just launch bullshit because god damn do i want to see rare make real games instead of shovelware again.
    I mean, it's better than no man's sky by a lot...so I don't get that comparison tbh. It is spectacular fun if you have friends to play with. It lacks an actual progression system to keep people playing if they got bored of just doing the fetch quests all the time. It's a sandbox though, the fun is what you make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    I mean, it's better than no man's sky by a lot...so I don't get that comparison tbh. It is spectacular fun if you have friends to play with. It lacks an actual progression system to keep people playing if they got bored of just doing the fetch quests all the time. It's a sandbox though, the fun is what you make of it.
    That can be said about any game that is not broken on a fundamental level though. All the reviews are "you raid islands and fight skeletons for chests for cosmetics. Thats it" and while it didn't have the grand lie that kept digging hello games deeper it doesnt seem any deeper than "you spawn on a planet and mine resources to get things to get better at mining resources". A pretty art style doesn't excuse barebones gameplay for a full retail price. If 'its fun with friends' is the best that can be said then that means this current gen AAA priced game has the same level of selling points as Gary's Mod or Sitting around a monitor with friends chuckling at 'Dont Shit Your Pants'. The presell media suggested something with more draw than virtual holding pen.