Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Whats the point of smoking?

I had a friend whom I questioned upon his action regarding starting smoking. (Cigarettes)
    Me and Him grew up not smoking, eventually when he was 17, at that age he started to smoke.
    I couldn't underststand his actions. Why would you start an addiction, waste money and also risk health issues in the future? Can someone care to elaborate ? I understand that 12 year olds most likely start smoking, due to peer pressure, but a nearly 18 year old?

10+ Year Old Account
    it makes you look 10 times cooler. duh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    People start for a variety of reasons. They get addicted and it can be very hard to stop. If you're a good friend, try and help him with it. Remember, he'll only quit if HE WANTS to. Constant peer pressure is only going to make it worse. Be supportive, not judgmental.

It's a hard thing to quit.

I tried and still trying, it annoys him pretty much. I sometimes distance myelf from him, as i hate the smell of cigarettes

Quote Originally Posted by Huntedmarsh View Post
    I had a friend whom I questioned upon his action regarding starting smoking. (Cigarettes)
    Me and Him grew up not smoking, eventually when he was 17, at that age he started to smoke.
    I couldn't underststand his actions. Why would you start an addiction, waste money and also risk health issues in the future? Can someone care to elaborate ? I understand that 12 year olds most likely start smoking, due to peer pressure, but a nearly 18 year old?
    People are still incredibly irrational at 17/18. You really don't realize it until you are like mid-late 20's. Your friend likely has no rationality behind it, knows it kinda doesn't make sense, but won't admit that to you.

There's a big chance he's addicted to something else as well. Smoking is a lot of times a enhancer to other things. Pain pills, weed, beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where I'm from, many people start smoking because its cold as balls and its fire in your face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    There's a big chance he's addicted to something else as well. Smoking is a lot of times a enhancer to other things. Pain pills, weed, beer.
    Lol.

Where'd you dream up this bullshit?

There basically is no point, most people start through peer pressure, or misguided attempts to look cool, (Note: it doesn't)

Sadly it's such an addictive habit that by the time people realise it's bad, they're too hooked to stop easily

7+ Year Old Account
    Most of my friends got into it by doing Poppers whenever they'd hit a bowl. it basically creates more of a head rush if you mix it with Weed.
    Other people started it because in their line of work its the only way to get breaks.
    Some grew up around enough second hand that they enjoyed the actual stuff.

Everyone has their reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    Lol.

Where'd you dream up this bullshit?
    I didn't say 100% the time. A large margin of people who start smoking start while drinking, smoking weed or something else. Then it could become habit. It's obviously not the only way, but happens a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I didn't say 100% the time. A large margin of people who start smoking start while drinking, smoking weed or something else. Then it could become habit. It's obviously not the only way, but happens a lot.
    Nah, the "big chance" that he's an addict to something else covered your insight in the matter quite well. As much as your "large margin" does.

You clearly don't know anything about smoking besides it being bad for your health. Your anecdotes are not proof, nor statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    Nah, the "big chance" that he's an addict to something else covered your insight in the matter quite well. As much as your "large margin" does.

You clearly don't know anything about smoking besides it being bad for your health. Your anecdotes are not proof, nor statistics.
    In my experience as a past smoker those are my opinions. Where is your stats? And I doubt they even exist is feasible or accurate way.

Also addictive personalities usually don't stop at one thing.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2015-06-26 at 01:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to come out as an ass but OP, tbh I think your friend is old enough to make his own decisions. Don't get me wrong, you are a good friend for trying to get him to stop, but don't waste your time on someone that doesn't want to be helped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both of my folks died from smoking and they were still young my mother started at 11 years old she was dead at 50, same with the old man he was dead before 60, i never took it up i tried it as alot teenage kids do i didnt like it so never took it up my brothers and sisters did, you cant tell a heavy smoker by the sound of them coughing up a lung if anyone thinks that is attractive are crazy.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntedmarsh View Post
    Perhaps it helps one not come across as a smartass and a goody two shoes.

There's no point! Those unfortunate enough to be hooked on it will most likely tell you the same. It's a terrible habit to break and hard to understand I guess if you've never been addicted to nicotine.

Deleted
    If a lung cancer patient knows he has the cancer but still dosen't stop smoking then there is no hope.

I think most people start because they either want to try it or it looks cool. And then by the time they realize that there's just no point in doing it, or that it can get expensive, or that it is bad for their health, they're too addicted and can't quit.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    it makes you look 10 times cooler. duh
    Pretty much. People will think you're awesome. Duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a socially acceptable suicide.