Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    there is none.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I'm not expert but im betting most chemical drugs are way more addictive
    You'd be wrong. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ence-small.png
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Well, my first cigarette was in 7th grade (not when I got addicted), so my reaction may have been stronger that some peoples'. But it made me feel amazing. It essentially feels amazing every time you smoke until you're addicted. By the time I quit, it had definitely lost that amazing feeling. As regarding his age, he may have started when he was drinking. Poor decision making skills, and drinking and smoking is also a pretty great combo. They compliment each other well.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    My biggest annoyance are the "I only smoke when I drink" people. And every single weed smoker (at least once a month) I know is not a good person or has a shit life (and this is roughly 40ish people overall). A lot of things do seem to go together, so I agree with you to a point. Small sample size for me, but I kinda know what'll happen when certain people call and want to hang out.
    This is why I started smoking. Not to look cool, but to keep people like this away from me.

Deleted
    I smoke because non-smokers die every day.

Also because it is big, hard and clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Thats pure bullshit graph heard of people quitting cigarettes cold turkey never seen someone quit cocaine cold turkey

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Thats pure bullshit graph heard of people quitting cigarettes cold turkey never seen someone quit cocaine cold turkey
    Yes, your instinctive and arbitary reaction to something based on a small sample of personal anecdotes trumps science every time....

I quit for two years once. It was pretty fucking tough. Don't do coke but I'd be surprised if it is any harder. In particular there aren't coke dealers on every street corner ready to make months of abstinence pointless if your will wavers for literally a few seconds.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2015-06-26 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    No, just no. Pretty sure heroin, crack, alcohol, and a plethora of other hard drugs absolutely trump nicotine.
    Pretty sure? Did you channel your inner scientific guru to come up with this astounding development? How about some facts, shall we?

"Research suggests that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, cocaine, or alcohol."
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit_smok...quit/nicotine/

"Interdisciplinary research in pharmacology, psychology, physiology and neurobiology is just beginning to shed light on the incredible hold that tobacco has on people. Scientists have found, for instance, that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, cocaine or amphetamines, and for most people more addictive than alcohol. Its hooks go deep, involving complex physiological and psychological mechanisms that drive and maintain smoking behavior and that even produce some ''good'' effects, such as improved performance on intellectual, computational and stressful tasks."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/29/ma...an-heroin.html

"Though nicotine doesn't cause the rush of heroin or crack, it's biologically similar in a crucial way: it mimics a common neurotransmitter--so well that scientists named one of the acetylcholine receptors after it. Nicotine is considered one of the most addictive drugs of all time."
    http://preventdisease.com/news/14/03...-On-List.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Nicotine is entirely psychological.
    Someone else already posted link so I won't, but you are 100% wrong here.

Listen, just because you quit smoking does not mean it isn't addictive. Honestly you deserve praise for kicking the habit, and I do mean that. But please don't become one of those ex smokers who has this holier-than-thou attitude towards people who are still trying to quit. And next time, do your homework before chiming in with completely unsupported claims and incorrect conclusion.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Yes, your instinctive and arbitary reaction to something based on a small sample of personal anecdotes trumps science every time....

I quit for two years once. It was pretty fucking tough. Don't do coke but I'd be surprised if it is any harder. In particular there aren't coke dealers on every street corner ready to make months of abstinence pointless if your will wavers for literally a few seconds.
    Yeah man I had to do rehab to quit smoking but cocaine in pfft that was easy to stop

Deleted
    I think it's about making the air stink and giving you a bad breath.

People clearly have to enjoy being an annoyance to other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    None. There's no point.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    To answer your question OP there is no point to smoking; none.

No matter what answers are given in this thread, i.e. getting through night shift, death of a loved one, fitting in, there is no point to smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    To answer your question OP there is no point to smoking; none.

No matter what answers are given in this thread, i.e. getting through night shift, death of a loved one, fitting in, there is no point to smoking.
    Are you sure you considered :

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    it makes you look 10 times cooler. duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

My wife's smoked for almost 20 years, and she says she started at 17 because her friends smoked and she wanted to fit in. Most people start smoking when they're young and stupid, and by the time they know better, they can't quit.

No point.
    Unhealthy.
    Expensive.
    Unpleasant (for me, i know some love it).
    Annoys other people.

Yea, i don't get it. Always hated the whole concept.

What's the point of internet forums?

They encourage a sedentary lifestyle, which is bad for your health.

We should all be at the gym or consuming some raw vegetables right now.

its a drug, drugs make you feel good(i guess?), so you start doing them.
    its basically the same as alcohol, people only drink it because it makes you feel good and more open and because they cant function in a social circle without it.
    sucks for them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people bite their nails?

I knew someone who smoked because he thought it was a good way to initiate social contact with strangers (who were also smoking). At least in part. Perhaps some curiosity too, along with the typical hubris of "I'll just quit soon enough that it won't be a health issue".