Advice On Upgrading (GPU/RAM/Monitor/PSU)

Little intro-

PC will be upgraded slowly as time goes by anyway but I'd like this big upgrade to last 2 years of 1440p gaming at high/ultra settings and 50+ FPS (I can't tell the difference above 52-55 in a lot of games). I play lots of Witcher 3 at the moment as well as Metro, will probably get Elite Dangerous next week and might also invest in Star Citizen. I do also use the PC for simple CAD + CFD/FEA analysis (Solidworks) though it can handle that well enough now anyway so it won't factor into upgrades really.
    I have no strict budget but I'd like to keep the whole thing under £1000, basically if something cheaper can do almost the same job I'd prefer to get that thing instead!

Win 904 Case
    ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
    Intel 4790K
    Kingston Value RAM 8GB (2x4)
    Zotac GTX 750
    Corsair CX 500W
    120GB SSD (OS)
    1TB HDD
    250GB HDD
    Noctua fans throughout

For the upgrade I was thinking;

Get a MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB x2
    Get a 27" 1440p capable monitor
    Get a new PSU to power the 2nd GPU
    Upgrade to 2x8 GB RAM

GPU: I wanted GPUs that have a fan-off mode at low temps, also they can't really be more than 2 slots high or 360mm long as there isn't the room in my case. Figured for 1440p it's better to have 2x[intermediate card] than one high-end one, feel free to correct me though!

Monitor: No damn clue about monitors to be honest - quality is key though, I don't want to sacrifice even blacks, colour clarity or good contrast ratio for a lower response time (I don't care enough about competitive gaming to want super-low ms from my monitor). Freesync looks like a good idea though I'm not really sure how well supported it is or, to be honest, exactly how it works.

PSU: Again after a fan-off mode for low temps, 180mm depth is the biggest that fits in my case, preferably not too tall either. 750W+. Fully modular would be nice, willing to spend to get a good one.

RAM: RAM will be anything quality that fits under a Noctua NH-C14 - was thinking Hyper-X Savage kit.

Might also replace the HDDs with new faster models - the two listed above are taken from a previous PC and are now 4 years old (1TB) and 7 years old (250GB).

Also will be doing a little mod to place an extra fan blowing cool air in below the GPUs.

______

So yeah I have a rough idea of what to do but I'm not up to scratch with the latest and greatest parts, how they perform, alternatives, problems (drivers etc) so thought i'd be best off asking before I invest.

Sorry if I missed any info off and thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

Deleted
    Its always better to stick to 1 powerful gpu than sli/cfire. Some games are not well optimised for them and in new games drivers for it will always come later. So i would advise to drop your money on 1 card. For 1440p i would grab a 980 be happy with it.

About the ram do you actually need more than 8gb? If you do just grab another pair of stick with similar specs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.59 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card (£389.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: Dell U2515H 60Hz 25.0" Monitor (£245.99 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £768.54
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-29 09:27 BST+0100

10+ Year Old Account
    Like Kostattoo said... all things being equal, 1x big card is always going to be better than 2x small if for no other reason than driver support. SLI/Xfire have gotten a lot better in the past few years, but they still can cause problems. A GTX 980 is a good choice with a good ratio of price to performance, but be advised that with only 4gb of VRAM it's already throttling some current-gen games at 1440p...

If you *need* more RAM, just buy another kit of what you have... no reason to get fancy with it. However, make sure that you're actually going to use it before you go and dump money into buying more. I have 16gb in my computer but never actually use more than about 45% of it even while gaming with Netflix and 10-12 Chrome tabs open.

For my money, I'd do something like this:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (£589.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (£274.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £939.93

That'll keep you going at or near max settings for the foreseeable future while leaving you a little extra to upgrade your memory if you really insist.