Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation Maphacking in HotS?

Recently on a facebook group where we discuss various things about HotS someone has posted some information about maphacking Tyrande.
    I just ignored it and thought that the player was just lucky, but then someone posted this video (also can be found on reddit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qq6Zg2Rm8U

/Discuss.

I am a menace to my own destiny.

Well SC2 has the same problem and they share the same engine, doubt it this will be fixed anytime soon.
    BEEEP

15+ Year Old Account
    Ive met novas and zeratuls where they seem to find you anywhere, anytime. Those times makes so much more sense now after seeing this...

Deleted
    What's there to discuss? Blizz is not known for their tight in game security. Diablo series was (is) one of the easiest to hack series in online game history. Very closely followed by WoW. I'm not taking this info out of my a$$, go to more underground websites and you'll see how easy it is.

In defence I need to say that making your game "hacker proof" is impossible, only thing you can do is to increase the time and effort one needs to put in to figure out the system, but this in turn can overcomplicate the code or just plainly increase the potential lag. So devs try to find "middle ground" and compromise, but Blizz just seems to not care that much at all.

Deleted
    Video would have been a lot easier to follow if all the text didn't block half the screen and the camera didn't keep moving around to irrelevant stuff. But what I can gather does seem a bit suspicious, maybe not most of those situations on their own, but you can clearly notice a pattern across the video of changing directions before legit vision is attained.

Anyway, to the best of my understanding, SC2 had the same hole for maphacks as WC3. Namely that your client always has real-time data of everyone's position on the map. No matter how much you obfuscate that data, if it's in the client it can be retrieved with sufficient skill. So yes, them being on the same engine makes it likely that this hole exists in HotS as well. It's a bit surprising since other games in the genre dating back to Heroes of Newerth (and that was... 2007/2008?) have been savvy enough to prevent this issue by not giving out this data, and working around that limitation to create a functional maphack is so cumbersome and unreliable it's practically unheard of in those games.

That said, I can't recall a single instance of someone acting suspicious across 511 games played. Of course that's a relatively small sample compared to the total number of games played worldwide, but statistically speaking, it's still significant enough for me to say that this probably isn't a very widespread issue. Sucks for whoever runs across it, though. But also never jump to conclusions, if you have any suspicions just play it cool and go check their PoV in the replay afterwards like the video guy. That's the only way to really know for sure. I say this as someone who plays stealthers fairly often: It's actually pretty easy to keep finding someone anywhere and anytime if they never realize how predictable their playstyle is. Getting pissed and chalking it up to hacks won't help you out of that.

Fairly certain this game shares SC2 engine. I have noticed supposed map hackers since late beta. If they use the same engine, it is pretty much guaranteed that there are map hackers.

I've noticed a few other hacks, most noticeably Tyrandes with scarily high hit rates with their stun. Like, just unbelievable stuns that shouldn't happen. A tyrande with like 15 games played shouldn't be hitting edge of range stuns on mounted players that aren't even visible. Do that 5+ times in a row and you've got some 3spooky5me situations.
    Last edited by Sliske; 2015-07-04 at 07:32 AM.

This is nothing new. You use it or you have no chance at higher levels. Simple as that.

I suddenly don't want to play this game anymore : /

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ErothTV View Post
    Recently on a facebook group where we discuss various things about HotS someone has posted some information about maphacking Tyrande.
    I just ignored it and thought that the player was just lucky, but then someone posted this video (also can be found on reddit):

/Discuss.
    Havent noticed anything like this so far. Most of the time people are just good at anticipating where you went or some times even just take pot shots to see if you're there. I do it too.

Deleted
    There are maphackers for sure but not many as you think/want.

100% map hack so obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    SC2 is hacked easily since ages, HOTS is based on literally same engine
    So why is that a surprise to anyone?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    Yes there is maphacks, but not even near as many people think there is. Really many nova and zeratul think they cant be seen, but you actually can see them if you focus on them. I have seen 1 maphacker and it was QM.

Youtube "Heroes of the Storm Map Hack"

clear videos of them working in action.

Game is F2P so there will be a lot of people botting and maphacking. It doesn't take too long to buy a hero like Nova or Zeratul and pollute QM. HL needs level 30 and 10 heroes so maybe if they dish out bans regularly, then it wont be an issue for HL.

I have been suspicious of map hacks maybe 4 games out of 1,500+. Out of those 4, it could've just been repeated luck. It really isn't as common or as big a problem as people are making out.

Lets not forget that this games meta is roaming as 5 after lvl 11 or so. If you are isolated you are already playing *wrong*. If only one of you is maphacking, chances are your other team mates aren't going to see your random assist pings and go charging across the map to a fog of war area.

It will be a problem if they don't jump on it now, though.

whats the fun of that.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Havent noticed anything like this so far. Most of the time people are just good at anticipating where you went or some times even just take pot shots to see if you're there. I do it too.
    I agree, but its true that in the video is obvious that the guy is actually hacking

Quote Originally Posted by ErothTV View Post

/Discuss.
    Of course there are maphacks in HotS.

It uses the same SC2 engine, where map info is stored client-side (rather than server-side) since the game is coded as a series of instructions on the entire map, allowing for maphacks. SC has maphacks.

This is EXACTLY the same reason why reconnecting requires using resume from replay. It is also why SC2 and HotS has no instant reconnect or in-client streaming or is maphack-proof, like Dota 2.

Moreover, this will never be fixed and the above features can never be added, because to fix it would require recoding the entire engine from scratch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Canibalot View Post
    whats the fun of that.....
    Easier kills and easier wins...