Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Eye of Azshara, a fanmade expansion idea // Legion Update

Hi! This is a project that started back in late 2013 by @_Vanderiel_ and me, and it is still unfinished. We are aware of the existence of GoldenYak's own Azshara expansion, and both ideas bear some resemblances. I invite you to comment and discuss on the ideas! Here is a summary of what the expansion features:

Update: As of Legion, Eye of Azshara is now a dungeon, but we'll still hang on to that name.
    Update 2: We have had a Q&A session with an user of MMOChampion! You can read it here.

Although what's written here is a summary, you can read all of the content and story that's up so far in our Wordpress site:
    Eye of Azshara. We have a login screen theme and some images too, but I think posting all images here would a bit too much of an overload.

Box art sample (mashup by Jurassic4life): http://imgur.com/UUP8dMA

Full map

That said, here is another summary of the structure of the expansion:

• (110-112) Zandalar: Horde initial zone. The remains of the Zandalari join the Horde. Birthplace of the Troll civilization. Zul murders Rastakhan and flees to his galleon. The Naga then raze Zuldazar.
    • (110-112) Kul'Tiras: Alliance initial zone. Kul'Tiras belongs once again to the Alliance. Ruled by the House Proudmoore, Kul’Tiras was a prosperous island thanks to trade, commerce and its remarkable naval force. Unfortunately, Boralus is ultimately destroyed by the Naga.
    • (111-114) Drowned Reaches: A desolate land of deadly whirlpools and jagged rocks shrouded in dense mists. It is home to the Kvaldir of Tydegarde, the mysterious Pandaren of Wu Bo and the restless spirits of countless shipwrecks.
    • (113-116) Scintal Reef: An underwater garden of precious iridescent coral formations. The flora of Scintal Reef seems to have a strange power to make living beings evolve and shimmer in unknown magic. The last remnants of an ancient civilization known as the Uldine are fortified in the city of Ageon, aided by the evolved Makrura of Mak'aru. The forces of Azshara seem to have a special interest in this zone.
    • (115-117) Boiling Terrace: A terrace of murky hot waters caused by the many geysers swarming the area. The Naga have taken benefit of thermal and hydraulic energy to build an industrial complex ruled by Steamlord Zeth'jatar to power up Nazjatar.
    • (116-119) Gishan Caverns: An area of untold mysteries, often rumored to be inhabited by gargantuan beasts and avoided by the Naga. These giant air caverns descend to an unfathomable wall called the Wall of Y, where no one has ever been to before.
    • (117-120) The Viridian Depths: An emeraldine expanse where the ancient city of Galhara stands. Home to the exile Naga contrary to Queen Azshara.
    • (120) Na'thoal: An uncharted city that seems to belong to a cult of Faceless Ones. Gargantuan Faceless murals adorn the rocky domes of this zone. Five temples surround a major temple where unimaginable things happen.

• 7.2 - Tel'abim: An island from which we only know its bananas. What we did not know is that Tel'abim is actually a sacred place for the Loa.
    • 7.2 - Plunder Isle: A pirate island southwest of Stranglethorn Vale. It is here that the Bloodsail and the Blacksea prepare their final strike for the supremacy over the seas.
    • 7.2 - Ny'alotha: The city where mad things walk. Old untold energies pulse from here. A familiar presence lingers over the place.

• 7.3 - The Eye: The Eye of the Maelstrom. Protected by an energy barrier in the previous patches and accessed through The Threshold in Pillar Deep. The Eye is characterized for the great rift that expands across the place and divides the zone in two and the towering Naga city of Nazjatar watching over the place. This area features a series of events and stages that progressively develop the zone, just like Isle of Thunder.

New dungeons

• The Deadwreck: Located in Drowned Reaches. A conundrum of undeath. The Deadwreck is a colossal wooden construction made of countless shipwrecks overlapped one over another. The overwhelming conjunction of restless souls have solidified into a Crucible of Souls that guides further souls to gather around the Deadwreck.
    • Palace of the Swirling Mists: Located in Drowned Reaches. The Palace of the Swirling Mists is a sacred place for the Kvaldir of Tydegarde. Remnants and traces of the origins of the Kvaldir can still be found there. The Naga have seized the opportunity to dominate the Kvaldir as they struggle for survival and ransack the Palace to dominate the Mists.
    • Mak'aru: Located in Scintal Reef. Mak'aru, the ancestral city of the Makrura is under siege. An army of yet unseen mechanical weaponry under the name of Zeth'jatar is demolishing the gates of the city. Word has it that Zeth'jatar himself is commanding the offensive on Mak'aru.
    • Crystalpearl Domes: Located in Scintal Reef. An ancient Titan complex responsible for the control of the blooming flora of Scintal Reef. The Uldine protecting Crystalpearl Domes have fallen prey to one of Azshara's most trusted lieutenants. It is unknown why would Azshara desire a mechanism able to spawn life for her own.
    • Zeth'jatar Power Plant: Located in Boiling Terrace. Main power supply of the Zeth'jatar Steamforges. All energy gathered from the Boiling Terrace is conducted through the power plant directly to Nazjatar. In addition, an accident seems to have occurred in the Steamforges. No one knows what caused it, but Zeth'jatar is taking advantage of it for his own purposes.
    • Entrails of Gish: Located in Gishan Caverns. Gishan is one of the six ancients of the sea (like Nespirah or L'ghorek) surrounding the Untold Temple of Na'thoal. Gishan has been partially corrupted for unknown reasons. Prophecies from Na'thoal augur the worst of this event. The source of the corruption must be sought and destroyed.
    • Halls of Evolution: Located in Gishan Caverns. A hideous place where the Faceless experiment with the own nature of the curse N'zoth had cast on the Naga. Mutated clones and abominations fill the place. What's worse, it's said that one of their most ambitious experiments has broken free.
    • Emeraldine Passage: Located in The Viridian Expanse. The Azsh'ir Naga are not yet done with purging the exile Naga from Galhara.

• 7.2 - Tel'alor Pantheon: Located in Tel'abim. Tel’alor is a sacred place. It is here where the Loa gather to rest and discuss the status of the numerous Troll tribes. Tormented by apocalyptic visions and the impending fall of the Zandalari, Zul reopened the gates of these holy chambers beseeching the assistance of the Loa. None but one decided to aid him. Although the Loa have little concern with the issues of mortals, they are indeed aware that the revival of the wayward Loa can prove a serious threat to their already fragile harmony.
    • 7.2 - Den of the Cold Eye: Located in Plunder Isle. Once a cold cave inhabited by basilisks, the Den of the Cold Eye has now been occupied by the remnants of the House Blacksea from Kul’Tiras. Within the complex of caves, this group of the Cult of the Damned lead by the Baroness Elsa Blacksea, wife to Thanatan Blacksea, makes its base of operations. The cultists have discovered new uses for the crystalizing gaze of the basilisks, using them to solidify the fading souls of the dead and turn them into crystalline frozen constructs bound to the will of the necromancers.
    • 7.2 - Stream of Unconsciousness: Located in Ny'alotha. This is just a taste of what Ny'alotha is about. In this place, things that have not happened and should not have happened have a material existence. Someone seems to be very interested with the powers of this place.
    • 7.2 - Labyrinth of the Cycle: Located in Ny'alotha. The Faceless are out of the life and death cycle we know. They live and die differently. Here we'll find why.

• 7.3 - The Threshold: Located in Pillar Deep. A heavily protected Naga gateway between The Eye and Pillar Deep, and the only way to 'safely' access the Eye. The bulk of military infantry is found mostly there.
    • 7.3 - Uldanneth: Located in The Eye. Uldanneth is a Titanic facility located right within The Rift, and is a potentially dangerous zone for the powers it contains. Remnants of the Twilight's Hammer are unraveling the halls. The most threatening menace in this dungeon is a familiar face.
    • 7.3 - Rift of Eternity: Located in The Eye. A rift that seems to go deeper than the rest expose glimpses of the real nature of the lost Well of Eternity and the Maelstrom.
    • 7.3 - The Queen's Bedchamber: Located in The Eye. A rather improper incursion. Infiltrators have found a way to the Queen's chambers longing to directly face the Vainglorious. Surprisingly enough, Azshara is absent, and only her Royal Handmaiden is found. But we'll find more than her maiden in her chamber.

New raids

• Abyssal Maw: Located in Boiling Terrace. The Tribunal of the Tides has found Hydraxis to be missing and suspect it is Azshara's doings. Find what is going within the Elemental Plane of Water and find Hydraxis.
    • Temple of the Old Ones: Located in Na'thoal. A massive zigurat in the center of Na'thoal, watching over the five temples devoted to the Old Gods. Within the temple lies the Maw of Na'thoal, through which it is said all dead souls converge for rebirth.

• 7.2 - Galleon of the Prophet: Located in Tel'abim (not really). Zul's galleon, put an end to the Troll Prophet's machinations alongside Hakkar!
    • 7.2 - Bloodsail Hold: Located in Plunder Isle. The Blacksea have fled to Plunder Isle and are planning to create a spectral flet with the Bloodsail. Take vengeance for Kul'Tiras and protect the seas!
    • 7.2 - Pillars of Paranoia: Located in Ny'alotha. Yoth-Naal pointed that Her Mistress is the source of madness. Learn more about her and the whereabouts of N'zoth!

• 7.3 - Nazjatar: Located in The Eye. Azshara's redoubt. The millenial city of the ancient Highborne that collapsed down into the ocean depths is now the lavish capitol of the Naga. The Queen waits within the Cathedral of Eternity watching over the destroyed Well of Eternity.

FAQ

Q - Wait, what, Azshara? Underwater zones? Oh, no!
    A - Don’t be afraid, none of the underwater zones are like Vashj’ir. Swimming is not possible due to the violent waters surrounding the Maelstrom. The resulting gameplay should be very similar -if not equal- to that of a regular surface area. You can even mount underwater (but not fly… yet)!

Q - You forgot about Ny'alotha?
    A - It's there, you just can't see it :P

Q - Where is N'zoth?
    A - He's there too, but he's not to be killed in this expansion. We'll know plenty more things about him though (and about the other remaining Old Gods and maybe new ones!).

Q - So Azshara dies, is that all?
    A - Azshara's death is just the finger pulling the trigger of what will come later in future expansions (of which we already have ideas). Her death will definitely be very meaningful.

Q - You say you have more expansion ideas?
    A - Yes, connected to this one. Telling about them would be a huge spoiler.

Q - What about Kezan and the Undermine?
    A - Unfortunately, the Cataclysm ultimately caused the island to collapse. The goblins of the Undermine are not over though!

Q - How did you come up with the zones?
    A - Mostly thanks to this image. We did not want to deviate too much from canon lore. These zones, though, were very underdeveloped, so we nearly had to make them all up from scratch.

Q - 16 dungeons? You serious? That's not possible!
    A - Yup. Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King had a similar amount.

Q - What about Challenge mode dungeons?
    A - There are two tiers: the 8 dungeons from launch form one; the 8 dungeons from the other two patches form the other. The former awards a set of transmog gear, and the latter a set of weapons matching them.

Q - You're suggesting a lot of content...
    A - That's what we want!

Q - Blizz will never listen to your ideas, get over it.
    A - We are aware of that. As long as YOU have fun reading all this we're content!

Q - I was hoping for a real soundtrack!
    A - Unfortunately, we are no musicians. We don't have any budget to hire composers and orchestras either!
    Last edited by Azalar; 2017-07-08 at 11:06 PM.

An expansion concept based on K'aresh
    #TeamK'aresh #TeamWorldRevamp

10+ Year Old Account
    Got to this:
    Daily cooldowns are over. We think it feels punishing to players that are not be able to login everyday. You should be able to craft whatever you want whenever you want. On the other hand, this means that the material requirements for items that otherwise would ask for daily cooldowns have been readjusted. The outcome should be something similar to the Mists of Pandaria/Cataclysm/Wrath of the Lich King model.
    Cried tears of joy. I want this. So bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Sure this isn't a leak from the real next expansion?

Honestly though, the real Azshara expansion probably won't have so many features like 11 areas and 16 dungeons, everyone here would love it though.
    I wish it was a leak. It's really not too much of a content overload if compared to WotLK or BC.

Deleted
    I see EoA's content and then I look at what we have with WoD and I only can facepalm and cry. Silently.

Deleted
    The work here is impressive and amazing. I think that Blizzard needs enthusiatic people like you. You have made a lovely huge idea!

Deleted
    Great ideas. I would return playing if the game was like this.

Pretty much what we're all hoping for!

Deleted
    I so want this to happen, everything, no cut zones, no scrapped shit and lots of dungeons! It would be so worth it even with one year of hfc, a filler patch like Farahlon dailies and a small raid.

This sounds so good... If it was like this, I'd be a really happy wow subscriber...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    The work here is impressive and amazing. I think that Blizzard needs enthusiatic people like you. You have made a lovely huge idea!
    Thank you! I'm personally preparing to apply to Blizzard as associate content designer, as I don't have any professional exp just yet. I hope all goes well when the time is due :P

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    I so want this to happen, everything, no cut zones, no scrapped shit and lots of dungeons! It would be so worth it even with one year of hfc, a filler patch like Farahlon dailies and a small raid.
    We do have ideas for small filler raids if needed. We're not unprepared.

So, what are the chances of making Zandalar and Kul'tiras faction hubs with Naval battles as World PVP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll64 View Post
    So, what are the chances of making Zandalar and Kul'tiras faction hubs with Naval battles as World PVP.
    The answer right now is 0%. Would have to check and discuss. Could make that into a BG. World PvP on the sea is very complicated.

10+ Year Old Account
    This looks awesome. My concern is that, while we all want more content,that amount is unrealistic. Two raids is doable if they are shorter raids or like 6/7 bosses. And I don't know if we need so many new dungeons. It depends how much they're used. For example the number was fine in WoD because you didn't run them after heroics.

But I love the idea, keep it up!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    This looks awesome. My concern is that, while we all want more content,that amount is unrealistic. Two raids is doable if they are shorter raids or like 6/7 bosses. And I don't know if we need so many new dungeons. It depends how much they're used. For example the number was fine in WoD because you didn't run them after heroics.

But I love the idea, keep it up!!!!
    Thanks! I know the amount is unrealistic, I get that told quite often xD

The raid sizes, however, are the following:

Abyssal Maw: 8
    Tomb of Sargeras: 8

The Prophet's Galleon: 4
    Bloodsail Hold: 4
    Rift of Aln: 8

Nazjatar: 16 (could be more since it's the last raid)

The amount of bosses per patch is homogeneous. 16 + 16 + 16.

Personally, the amount of dungeons are ok. We preferred to have 8 + 4 + 4 because we needed a reasonable number of dungeons in each patch so that they don't feel too few (like Zul'aman or Zul'gurub). This number allowed us to put at least one introductory dungeon for each raid, which in my opinion is great. They're gonna be used, that's a promise. I love running dungeons.

Deleted
    Isn't the dark below coming before eye of azshara? What changed from the first fanmade attempts to create these 2 "thematics"? Why did you focus on something others before you didn't? Do you believe at the end of WoD your concept will still be viable while another 5 fans made that addon in their way?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    Isn't the dark below coming before eye of azshara? What changed from the first fanmade attempts to create these 2 "thematics"? Why did you focus on something others before you didn't? Do you believe at the end of WoD your concept will still be viable while another 5 fans made that addon in their way?
    It was just a name change. The content was going to be the same. An Azshara expansion will be viable for as long as Blizzard doesn't touch anything related to Azshara.

I'm having trouble grasping the sense of the other questions, sorry.

Deleted
    I am saying it's cool to hear you out... but I don't really have time to hear out all fanmade projects and hope blizzard has someone with enough time to read individual projects like this. In modern society people with the same orientation combine their efforts and are one party to consider

it also helps to know who originally had the basement of the idea.
    Last edited by mmocb759c3dfe2; 2015-07-07 at 10:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can agree that Mythic Dungeons are weird to have when Heroic Dungeons are meant to be challenging. However OPs suggestion about having Heroic Dungeons be as Mythic for newly max level character is the issue. It should always be challenging, not just for new characters. Then reward gear based on current raid tier. If we get 695 from current raid tier then Heroic (or Mythic) Dungeons should award 685 or similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    I am saying it's cool to hear you out... but I don't really have time to hear out all fanmade projects and hope blizzard has someone with enough time to read individual projects like this. In modern society people with the same orientation combine their efforts and are one party to consider
    Thanks. I'm sure they do read and hear stuff, even if they don't channel feedback properly at times xP

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I can agree that Mythic Dungeons are weird to have when Heroic Dungeons are meant to be challenging. However OPs suggestion about having Heroic Dungeons be as Mythic for newly max level character is the issue. It should always be challenging, not just for new characters.
    That's just another reason for the bigger number of dungeons being added in each patch. However, scaling up dungeons from previous patches is troubling too as it bars new characters from entering heroics.
    Last edited by Azalar; 2015-07-07 at 10:49 PM.