Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

We need better value early game taunts.

We need more early game taunts for two and three mana to help counter the vast array of face decks.

Here is one I like:

The current taunts are much worse and so we rely on spells when what we want is to have some board presence.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Annoy-o-tron says hello.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're running a fast deck, use Sunfury/DoA

If you're running a slow deck, spells are what you use to deal with early game

PS taunt minions with lower HP than attack are rubbish
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    If you're running a fast deck, use Sunfury/DoA

If you're running a slow deck, spells are what you use to deal with early game

PS taunt minions with lower HP than attack are rubbish
    not if your trying to stall they aren't.
    i miss goldshire footman.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    not if your trying to stall they aren't.
    i miss goldshire footman.
    Yeeeeeah they are. Taunts need to soak multiple hits to be effective early and midgame, because having taunt detracts from its stat budget.

This is the ONLY reason Annoy-o-tron is used and Footman is garbage.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Something like a 2/6 taunt for 3 mana with special of not being able to attack might work. That way if it gets silenced, it will be usefull anyways and against anything slower than aggro it won't do much anyways.

Deathlord??? The ultimate early taunt card

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Deathlord??? The ultimate early taunt card
    Deathlord is bad against anything but tempo/zoo, but i agree that there could be an early game alternative with a different type of drwaback. maybe that 2/6 taunt that has deathrattle: deal 2 damage to friendly minions or sth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Early game control in general needs a buff. I'd love to see a shaman 1 drop,2/1 body, battlecry: add 2 random shock spells to your hand. It's pretty strong for a one drop but it would counter a number of aggressive decks that are out there.

For priest I'd like to see a little more ramp decks. My thought was Power Infusion, 2 mana - The next 2 minions you play cost 2 less mana. It's a little bit like innervate except with an upfront cost so it would be slightly slower or played a turn ahead of time. Turn 2 would allow a turn 3 belcher, or IBM, northshire + hero power or spectral knight + sunfury protector.

There's definitely a few ways to do it. You could also have a few cards with reduced mana cost per turn in hand or per enemy minion played to make. It's just a matter of adjusting the power level between different style of plays.

edit: want to throw 1 more neutral out there. Jinyu waterspeaker, 4 mana 2/5 battlecry: heal your hero for 6 hp, if you are not healed to full draw a card.
    Last edited by fengosa; 2015-07-08 at 09:50 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Deathlord is bad against anything but tempo/zoo, but i agree that there could be an early game alternative with a different type of drwaback. maybe that 2/6 taunt that has deathrattle: deal 2 damage to friendly minions or sth.
    Well yeah, the deathrattle is needed. It's a very good card against aggro decks, which is why it needs to be punished by heavy control decks or else everybody would run it, making aggro obsolete completely. If the meta is face heavy enough, you could run it and get away with it most of the time, but it's still a meta call like Harrison and Black Knight. It's a good thing that Hearthstone avoids clear cookie cutter cards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Early game control in general needs a buff. I'd love to see a shaman 1 drop,2/1 body, battlecry: add 2 random shock spells to your hand. It's pretty strong for a one drop but it would counter a number of aggressive decks that are out there.

For priest I'd like to see a little more ramp decks. My thought was Power Infusion, 2 mana - The next 2 minions you play cost 2 less mana. It's a little bit like innervate except with an upfront cost so it would be slightly slower or played a turn ahead of time. Turn 2 would allow a turn 3 belcher, or IBM, northshire + hero power or spectral knight + sunfury protector.

There's definitely a few ways to do it. You could also have a few cards with reduced mana cost per turn in hand or per enemy minion played to make. It's just a matter of adjusting the power level between different style of plays.

edit: want to throw 1 more neutral out there. Jinyu waterspeaker, 4 mana 2/5 battlecry: heal your hero for 6 hp, if you are not healed to full draw a card.
    All those cards sound horridly op.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Deathlord and Annoyatron are pretty good to me.

Yeah because games of Hearthstone should last 25 minutes.

Deleted
    Deathlord and Annoyotron are good cheap anti-face cards. In a heavy face hunter meta they are very useful. If meta becomes more control'ish deathlord loses on value a lot due to his very hard drawback.

Deleted
    I'd rather see something annoying that you want to kill even tho it doesn't have a taunt. Like "when your hero takes damage, deal 1 damage to all minions". Maybe you could combo it with enrages and stuff later on so it doesn't become completely useless past like turn 2 or 3.

Obviously that's just an example I made up on the spot, but I'm sure Blizzard would come up with a great amount of better ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Yeah because games of Hearthstone should last 25 minutes.
    What's the point of all these 7+ mana cards if nobody plays any of them because the game is over by then anyway?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I think the problem is there are too many easy ways to deal with taunts, rendering the regular ones obsolete. Sludge Belchers and Annoy-o-trons survive due to the minimum-two-attacks being OP on a taunt creature.

I don't think creating a bunch of new Sludge Belchers is the answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    Deathlord and Annoyotron are good cheap anti-face cards. In a heavy face hunter meta they are very useful. If meta becomes more control'ish deathlord loses on value a lot due to his very hard drawback.
    Even Deathlord dies way too easy to be a strong card. You always want to play him early, but if you do then you're running face first into his removal before it's fished. And sometimes he yanks out something you REALLY don't want to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Even deathlord is too weak, as a 3-drop, since by then they already have 2-3 minions on the board anyway, then they just silence your deathlord, or buff their own minions to the point where they trade 2-2 for it anyway.

What we'd actually need to make control more viable is more powerful anti-face earlygame drops, like the zombie chow. Give us big, low-mana taunts that can't attack face, or 2 drops with high stats that make all face attacks (to both players) heal the target instead of do damage to them, or something similar - early-game minions that are very powerful but either can't attack face or have some big face-damage disadvantage attached to them (like the chow).

Of course, throw too many of these in and aggro becomes total shit... but right now the game is just 90% aggro all the way up to around legend, at which point people finally start playing control again. It's just boring, man.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I'd also consider buffing existing taunt cards. A few more HP wouldn't hurt at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

There's plenty. Annoy-o-tron, deathlord and even Sen'jin is still really good. Everything is just based on the meta and it will shift. We're already seeing face hunters get replaced with the mid range hunter since face is so hit or miss. Unfortunately people just expect EVERY CLASS to be relevant in a ranked meta and that's never going to happen. You're never going to have 9 relevant classes because certain class cards are just better than others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    All those cards sound horridly op.
    I'm not sure that they are much worse than mechwarper, tinkertown technician or blastmage. They're just defensive in nature instead of aggressive.