New York governor to name special prosecutor for killings by police.

New York will appoint a special prosecutor to handle investigations when civilians are killed during confrontations with police, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Tuesday.

Cuomo told reporters he would issue an executive order valid for one year that would place Attorney General Eric Schneiderman in charge of investigating and prosecuting police-involved killings, taking those cases out of the hands of district attorneys.

"We will be the first state in the country to acknowledge the problem and say we’re going to create an independent prosecutor who does not have that kind of connection with the organized police departments," Cuomo said, according to the New York Times.

http://news.yahoo.com/york-governor-...071422083.html
    Think it will make a difference?

10+ Year Old Account
    No. /10 char
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No. /10 char
    Why not? He would hopefully be neutral.

How about instead of scoring political points by focusing on a fairly tiny problem blown out of proportion by the stupid media, we instead create a special task force dedicated solely to handling black on black crime, a vastly bigger problem?

Oh wait, that would be racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    How about instead of scoring political points by focusing on a fairly tiny problem blown out of proportion by the stupid media, we instead create a special task force dedicated solely to handling black on black crime, a vastly bigger problem?

Don't we already have one in place called the police?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    He/she may well be neutral but they'd still need to work through existing organizations, and it's long been demonstrated that one or two bad cops aren't the issue, it's the collective brotherhood approach that makes them so hard to get at.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post

... we have police for that. What we don't have is an unbiased force to deal with crimes performed by police. Prosecutors work closely with police and expecting them put on a fair trial when an officer goes to court is a joke.

But hey, I can't say I can expect much from someone who make a clearly racist post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Don't we already have one in place called the police?
    Ayyyy lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    As long as the prosecutor doesn't have close relationships with the police it sounds fine to me.

The problem with regular prosecutors is their jobs are directly affected by law enforcements ability to "Trust" them and cooperate, and since Cops are a gang of thugs in many areas, anyone who tries to hold them responsible for their actions is launching an attack on them all some how.
    being THUGS is necessary. People do not respect police in poor areas. When I mean respect I do not mean, courtesy, I mean when asked to stop or doing something like move away from a crime scene etc. Police have to use FORCE to do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    A neutral judge in the New York judiciary? HA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    being THUGS is necessary. People do not respect police in poor areas. When I mean respect I do not mean, courtesy, I mean when asked to stop or doing something like move away from a crime scene etc. Police have to use FORCE to do anything.
    Since when did two gangs of thugs in poor neighborhoods ever result in anything other than violence?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.