Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Do you give money to homeless people?

so I saw a girl up at Walmart today. A homeless girl. I didn't have anything in my pocket or I would've given her something. I usually try to help them out. Maybe give them a little hope. Do you guys give money to the homeless? I see alot of restaurants are starting to use a pay it forward system where like you can buy your coffee and then give them the money for another coffee and the restaurant will write down the coffee in a book or something and a homeless person can come in and have that coffee. I know Starbucks was doing it at some locations and I've read about other restaurants doing it. Do you guys think this system is a good idea? Should more places start doing it?

I buy them a candy bar or a drink. no point giving them change they can spend on who knows what.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would never give a homeless person money, because I don't know where that money is going.

I would be down for a system like that, though, where I pay forward a cup of coffee or taco or something. I think more places should absolutely do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have many times. Most of the time I've regretted it.

Deleted
    Nobody here has to starve everything you give is just xtra.

15+ Year Old Account
    No.
    The only way you can be homeless in Finland is by your own choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Unfortunately being in Southern CA, there's a lot of homeless here because it's warm. Many in this area are also addicts, which makes it worse.

Never mind I often see them getting money from someone and immediately go to the nearest store for cigarettes or alcohol.

Ive given money on many instances, and Ill continue to. Fact is, I have the means to help so I try. Now whatever they spend it on is up to them. Who am I to judge what makes them happy.

No. I sometimes give them train / bus passes, or food if I'm carrying some and they look hungry.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I agree with Sky High, as a rule no I don't not because I don't care or because I feel better for not doing it, but it's because honestly if they are homeless and on the street, chances are their ability to finances or handle resources are probably not their, granted there have been times I did, but only if I was ever pretty sure that they would more than likely use it for something they needed rather than drugs which kind of makes me feel part of continuing that.

So my answer is NO, I will donate to charity or resources that go towards helping people, or I would be MORE than happy to buy a meal or even pay for someone's room for shelter, I will not give money directly to people or sources I don't KNOW!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Yes, usually a dollar or two. I know most spend it on alcohol or drugs. But they might buy a sandwich.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I did once, after that the guy told me, "hey nice shirt, I play wow too, I have 4 lvl 100 characters" ..........................

I give money to charities who, in turn, provide programs to help those less fortunate to become more confident in living their lives. I never give money to random homeless people. It does nothing to help their situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Can never tell which ones are the real deal and which ones are gonna get in a car they parked a block away at the end of their pan handling shift.

How do you know she was homeless?

Deleted
    Yes, I do. I realise that I don't know what they are going to spend it on, but I always hope that they will buy themselves food or the like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    so I saw a girl up at Walmart today. A homeless girl. I didn't have anything in my pocket or I would've given her something. I usually try to help them out. Maybe give them a little hope. Do you guys give money to the homeless? I see alot of restaurants are starting to use a pay it forward system where like you can buy your coffee and then give them the money for another coffee and the restaurant will write down the coffee in a book or something and a homeless person can come in and have that coffee. I know Starbucks was doing it at some locations and I've read about other restaurants doing it. Do you guys think this system is a good idea? Should more places start doing it?

I don't drink much Starbucks but THAT I would for sure do, I love that idea paying it forward, and yes I have, I think that's alright.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Probably the worst reason for not giving a homeless person money in this thread so far.
    Cry about it, then. But we've had people get caught around here faking it and taking advantage of other peoples kindness.

We also pay extra taxes for homeless programs and such. No need for me to give them anything if they're actually interested in rectifying their situation.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Probably the worst reason for not giving a homeless person money in this thread so far.
    Far from it:

OKC Panhandler Busted & Confronted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hezYIvWjO6k

I give food or goods, not money.

But I always give food whenever I have a personal opportunity to do so, which is not always. The way society looks down on homeless people... it barely treats them like real people. 'Second class citizen' would be generous. Just bringing a man a sandwich and listening, just for a minute or two, to his story, can mean so much to somebody at the bottom of the heap.

I was driving through Barstow once on the way back from Las Vegas, and saw a hitchhiker and obviously homeless fellow outside a Subway. Asked him if he wanted a drink and a sandwich, and he gratefully accepted. So since I was stopping for lunch anyways, I bought us both food, and listened to what his story was. He was trying to hitchhike his way up to a northern state for work, I think Wyoming, because he'd heard there was a lot of work there for those willing to relocate. He said his children had no idea that he was homeless, or what state of living he was in, and he didn't want to tell them because he didn't want to burden them, and he was so embarrassed by it. I doubt anybody had stopped to actually talk to this guy in days, but you could see his spirits get lifted just by having the chance to chat.

I know not all panhandlers are genuine. There really are some people out there determined to live off the handouts of others, and don't want to work or get by on their own at all, and aren't even actually homeless in some cases. But I'm an optimist. I try and make a call before helping somebody out, to try and figure out if they're genuine or not, but at the end of the day, I'm sure as hell not going to interrogate somebody for my suspicions, nor am I going to simply choose to give to nobody because I'm a suspicious asshole. I would rather accidentally do good in the world than choose to do nothing on the off chance that I might not really be helping someone.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2015-07-13 at 10:14 PM.