Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    But you really have no proof of what these other parents are saying? What if they just don't like him?

I would probably take the kid to dinner one night, alone if possible so he isn't influenced by his parents or afraid to talk to you because they may hear him. And have a heart to heart with him. Everyone makes mistakes in life and sometimes all it takes is a good mentor to change someones path.
    I know all the families quite well, I'm pretty well sure they think he's a good kid, just mislead.

Thanks for the advice, but taking a 13 year old boy out for dinner, by himself, sounds like an awful idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    I know all the families quite well, I'm pretty well sure they think he's a good kid, just mislead.

Thanks for the advice, but taking a 13 year old boy out for dinner, by himself, sounds like an awful idea.
    Then find somewhere else private, your office, whatever, where there are no eavesdroppers to hear so if the accusations are true we will know he has confidentiality in you. Doesn't have to be dinner guess I should have worded that differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    1) Any trouble with drugs/school while he's on my team would be removal from my team.

2) You must not have ever played sports while you were growing up, kids get cut from teams, that's how competitive sports work. Whether he is involved with drugs or not wouldn't magically make them better.

3) Go back and read what I said. I Said "Any trouble with drugs/school would be an automatic removal from my team". That line was SPECIFIC to him. I know every kid who will be trying out, none are into drugs.

I love how you're so judgemental of someone you don't know, especially of someone who volunteers his time to youth. You must be a real pleasure in person.
    I've played numerous sports. You asked for thoughts and I gave them to you. I don't have to reread anything, your decision makes no difference to me. If drugs are an issue, steer clear of him. I've only reiterated because you didn't understand. Your hypocrisy is an observation, not judgment. It's clear you're not here for thoughts, but seeking validation for choices you've already made.

It's tough being everyone else's child saviour under the guise of a coach, so do what fits you.

How is the rest of your team? I would assess the vulnerabilities of his potential teammates prior to making the call. The most malleable would be students who come from similar backgrounds as this child.

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    How is the rest of your team? I would assess the vulnerabilities of his potential teammates prior to making the call. The most malleable would be students who come from similar backgrounds as this child.
    None would have any sort of background remotely similar to him. Outside of our team none of them hang out with him, he involves himself with a different crowd. During team activities they would be supervised by me 99% of the time.