Poll: Is Golf a sport?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Do you consider Golf a sport?

After having a discussion/argument with some mates on this topic I wondered what the general feeling about this was.

I'm in the 'no' it isn't camp. I acknowledge it takes years of practise, but i'm not convinced on the skill or athletic part of the game. I put it in there with Darts, Pool and Snooker etc.

What do you think?

No.

Oh, and while we're at it:

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It requires Practice and Skill in a competitive environment.

Of fucking course it is a sport.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    No.

Lol - straight to the point. My kind of guy.

I usually said sure, but kinda like no now.

I remember reading an article about cheerleading, and how there was a big debate about how they were gaining traction to be considered a sport, but a large group of females and coaches did NOT want it to be considered a sport, due to it then having to fall under different sets of rules and guidelines, budgets, insurance, inability to get jobs etc all the other shit a "student-athlete" couldn't do or had to do. Essentially saying, a chunk of cheerleading programs get shut down due to it coming out of the athletic departments budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

7+ Year Old Account
    Is it a sport? Yes I think so
    Is it fun to watch? Hell no
    Personally I think any sport involving a stick/bat/club is boring. Hockey, baseball, golf, cricket etc.

Yes, I consider it a sport. The required physical attributes, abilities, and practice make It a sport in my eyes. It's slow methodical nature makes most people hate watching and cause some derision at it. But I find it more then exciting enough even non major events. Pro-tip TiVo makes all sports better.

Yeah it's a sport. But the players aren't athletes.

@OP
    Yes it's a sport

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    No.

Agreed, but european football is also shit, everyone dives it's become part of the sport, they get a little tap on the shoulder and start rolling on the floor. It's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by deeyar View Post
    everyone dives it's become part of the sport, they get a little tap on the shoulder and start rolling on the floor.
    That's becoming more and more aggravating, that's true.

Deleted
    Let's take the definition:

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Golf is a physical activity, whereby the best competitors have conditioned their bodies to peak performance. You can't argue that Rory is the best, and you can't argue that his body isn't in great muscular condition. His condition and skill contributes to how he strikes the golf ball. Obviously, once down to the putting stage of the hole, condition matters less.

Do you compete in golf? Yes.

Is Golf a form of entertainment? Yes. The sport is televised and people turn up to spectate.

Yes, it's a sport.

^ By definition, yes, I consider it a sport. It fits.

Do I find it entertaining to watch or play myself? Not really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    Golf is a physical activity, whereby the best competitors have conditioned their bodies to peak performance.
    Sorry I couldn't do anything but laugh at that.

Yes but I also always call it golf sport to specify the special category.

Is it not categorized as a sport?

Not sure if what we consider it matters at that point, but I do consider it a sport.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's over paid people playing tee-ball w/o the running, fielding, and catching.

Not a sport.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    Golf is a physical activity, whereby the best competitors have conditioned their bodies to peak performance. You can't argue that Rory is the best, and you can't argue that his body isn't in great muscular condition. His condition and skill contributes to how he strikes the golf ball. Obviously, once down to the putting stage of the hole, condition matters less.
    Let's not get drastic. Golf doesn't demand you be in athlete level shape where you're constantly lifting weights and doing cardio or pushing your body to the limit. It's mostly getting swinging technique down and not being out-of-shape where you're too weak to hit the ball far enough to compete.

If "eSports" are considered sports at all, then golf (which actually involves physical activity) is absolutely a sport.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by echoSAW View Post
    If "eSports" are considered sports at all, then golf (which actually involves physical activity) is absolutely a sport.
    I do find esports more interesting to watch then golf. I do not consider them sports however, esports is a very poor term imo. More like Competitive Video Gaming.

Not really a question of it being a sport, cause it is, however the distinction of golfer's being "athletes" is a more applicable debate.