View Poll Results: How do you feel about re-gifting.

Voters
10. This poll is closed
  • Yeah, man if I don't want it give it to someone else

2 20.00%
  • No, I would never accept a gift I would take credit and give someone else

3 30.00%
  • Depends on what it is, if I can't use it I'll donate it

2 20.00%
  • If someone re-gifts something I give them, I better not find out!

3 30.00%
    10+ Year Old Account

Ok Serious Christmas problem (Re-gifting)!

First before we get started on this thread, let's all just agree on some ground rules, if you re-gift YOU ARE WRONG!

While I don't expect YOU PEOPLE and you KNOW who you are to identify yourself, let us be clear, there is going to be a special place in hell for you, and for those of you who don't believe in HELL in other words re-gifters, we all know why!

ANYWAYS, what is your personal view on re-gifting, do you do it *Evil Glare*, has it ever been done to you, and what is your over all feeling about those that do?

Also are there any other holiday peeves you like to vent about or get off your chest?

A GIFT!
    according to http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gift
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    noun
    something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.
    the act of giving.
    something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient or without its being earned:
    Those extra points he got in the game were a total gift.
    a special ability or capacity; natural endowment; talent:
    the gift of saying the right thing at the right time.
    verb (used with object)
    to present with as a gift; bestow gifts upon; endow with.
    to present (someone) with a gift:
    just the thing to gift the newlyweds.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-12-10 at 03:31 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't re-gift, but I don't give a shit if others do. I gave them a gift, it's their's to do with what they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    I don't re-gift, but I don't give a shit if others do. I gave them a gift, it's their's to do with what they want.
    Yeah, but wouldn't you appreciate them just telling you they don't want it, so you can't refund or exchange it and use it for something else?

by re-gifting are you specifically referring to taking a gift you don't want and giving it to someone else, or giving something you don't want anymore to someone that could use it?

i totally plan on "regifting" something this year. I plan on upgrading from my iPhone 5s to something newer and giving my 5s to my brother who is still using a 3s. am i wrong here?

7+ Year Old Account
    I have donated things, especially clothes that distant family give me that doesn't fit most of the time (but also is just stuff I would never wear like a sweater vest or something).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    by re-gifting are you specifically referring to taking a gift you don't want and giving it to someone else, or giving something you don't want anymore to someone that could use it?

i totally plan on "regifting" something this year. I plan on upgrading from my iPhone 5s to something newer and giving my 5s to my brother who is still using a 3s. am i wrong here?
    You are pretty close, but no Re-Gifting specifically refers to someone giving YOU something, generally like Christmas, and then instead of giving it back, or giving it away, you give it to someone else, and take credit for it.

So it's better to let something collect dust on the shelf instead of passing it to someone who might enjoy it?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibberjabber View Post
    I have donated things, especially clothes that distant family give me that doesn't fit most of the time (but also is just stuff I would never wear like a sweater vest or something).
    I am not talking about donating something that was once a gift, and technically re-gifting isn't something you received held on to for a while and can't use after a while.

Re-gifting is more getting a gift like say NOW, and then RIGHT NOW having no need or want for what you received, and giving it as a gift to someone else.

I've never done it, but I don't think any less of someone else who does. What you do with something I got you last year is your business.

I'm usually pretty big on stuff like gift cards myself. My brother is a big car enthusiast/mechanic, and I don't know shit about cars, so I get him gift cards for places he can buy car stuff. Same with how I'm a PC/gaming enthusiast...he doesn't know shit about that, so I'm pretty sure I just have a newegg gift card coming from him this year.

The way I see it, you can't really go wrong with gift cards. It says "I know you like ___________, but I don't know shit about it, so here's a gift card to get whatever you want and make sure I don't fuck up by getting you the wrong thing"

And you really can't go wrong with something like an amazon gift card.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-12-10 at 03:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    So it's better to let something collect dust on the shelf instead of passing it to someone who might enjoy it?
    No, it's better to be upfront with people that gave a gift to you, and let them know you don't want or cant use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah, but wouldn't you appreciate them just telling you they don't want it, so you can't refund or exchange it and use it for something else?
    Not at all. It's their gift, I don't care what happens with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    I've never done it, but I don't think any less of someone else who does.

I'm usually pretty big on stuff like gift cards myself. My brother is a big car enthusiast/mechanic, and I don't know shit about cars, so I get him gift cards for places he can buy car stuff. Same with how I'm a PC/gaming enthusiast...he doesn't know shit about that, so I'm pretty sure I just have a newegg gift card coming from him this year.
    Yeah, I am also against gift cards, or giving people money as gifts, to me giving a gift card or money is the same as telling that person, I couldn't be bothered to give you anything or think about you enough to find out what you like, so here some money, so I don't feel bad about myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all. It's their gift, I don't care what happens with it.
    But if you thought enough about them to give the gift, don't you care about the fact they don't want it, you wouldn't want to know so you can either do better next time, or learn something about I would assume is someone you care about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I haven't re-gifted anything as I rarely receive gifts. I have however returned things or just left them at my parents house. Like 2 years ago my mom gave me a crockpot for Christmas. I have 0 need for a crockpot I put it in the closet in her hallway and it's still there.

10+ Year Old Account

But if you thought enough about them to give the gift, don't you care about the fact they don't want it
    No, I really don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I really don't.
    Then is that really a GIFT? There is a very narrow line between giving someone a gift and you giving a half eaten sandwich to a hobo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then is that really a GIFT? There is a very narrow line between giving someone a gift and you giving a half eaten sandwich to a hobo.
    It is. I gave them something I thought they'd enjoy or need. If they don't, then the object is theirs to do with what they want.

I have no need for material possessions. Besides my computer for work and cloths obviously...

If someone gives me something, I always give it away. I warn people about this before they do buy me something.

When I give things to people, I always tell them who to give it to if they don't want it. Or they can sell it and buy something else. It doesn't matter to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is. I gave them something I thought they'd enjoy or need. If they don't, then the object is theirs to do with what they want.
    Yeah, but that is just it, they don't, and if you don't actually care whether they would need or want it, what is the point in giving it to them?

Like I said, that doesn't sound like a gift, when I give a gift to someone, I do so with the intent on them wanting it or appreciating it in some way.